Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcmantilla View Post
We're currently in Chicago but my husband got a job at Medical Center in Houston. We've done some internet research and are thinking of living in Midtown. (we're late 20's DINKS) My job would have me commuting to the Museum District. I'd like to take the light metro rail since it seems to be quick. Are the times on the metro website accurate? (~15-20min. from Midtown to Museum District) The husband should be able to take the metro to the Medical Center too, right?

We will be making a quick trip to the area this month to scope things out but wanted to get as much info. beforehand as possible.

We'd like to get a 2BR apt. for $1400 or less which should be do-able in Midtown.... We have 2 cats and a cockatiel. Any suggestions?

Lastly, I read a thread on this forum about roaches. Are they really that prominent in homes? I'm a little freaked out that it will be something out of The Mummy with those scarab beetles swarming out of drains, etc. In Chicago I mainly get spiders which the cats take care of or ants which Borax traps work wonderfully on.

Thanks!

The roaches are only occasional (other than the poster on the other thread); I have (so far) gone over a year without seeing one. Has nothing to do with cleanliness or lack thereof, or neighbors, or anything else, it's random. You may see none for a year then see three.

Fortunately for you, they provide an endless source of amusement for cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,384 times
i always preferred montrose/museum district for night life, bars and restaurants. midtown is eh. rent isnt that much more expensive unless you are looking at homes. i always rented places for $1100-$2000.

dont just discount that area. when you visit tour both during the day and at night. see which is best for you

Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM

561 posts, read 972,248 times
Your probably going to be renting out of the newly constructed some what gentrified apartment complexes that developers have put up if your in Midtown. I prefer somewhat of a neighborhood feel of Rice Village or Montrose.

I have a somewhat dumb question... whats a DINK?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:07 AM

6 posts, read 12,386 times
Thanks for the replies! I'll definately check out the Museum District/ Rice Village when we're there.

DINK=dual income no kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston