U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 6,221 times
Default Relocating from Chicago to Midtown area- Commute ?

We're currently in Chicago but my husband got a job at Medical Center in Houston. We've done some internet research and are thinking of living in Midtown. (we're late 20's DINKS) My job would have me commuting to the Museum District. I'd like to take the light metro rail since it seems to be quick. Are the times on the metro website accurate? (~15-20min. from Midtown to Museum District) The husband should be able to take the metro to the Medical Center too, right?

We will be making a quick trip to the area this month to scope things out but wanted to get as much info. beforehand as possible.

We'd like to get a 2BR apt. for $1400 or less which should be do-able in Midtown.... We have 2 cats and a cockatiel. Any suggestions?

Lastly, I read a thread on this forum about roaches. Are they really that prominent in homes? I'm a little freaked out that it will be something out of The Mummy with those scarab beetles swarming out of drains, etc. In Chicago I mainly get spiders which the cats take care of or ants which Borax traps work wonderfully on.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 PM

15,388 posts, read 14,863,680 times
Good choice. Look up properties by Camden, AMLI, Post, Archstone, Metro for starters.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 PM

7,133 posts, read 7,443,131 times
As to the roaches, every once in a while a large one will get in the house - your cats will take care of it.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:32 PM

7,390 posts, read 4,189,111 times
The train times sound about right, but if your husband is going to be working in the Medical center and your going to be working in the museum district why not stay in that area. IMO its one of the nicest areas in Housotn. You would be close to everything, museum district, medical center, the zoo, rice university, rice village, Herman park. If you found the right spot you could walk to work.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:16 PM

717 posts, read 998,804 times
The Medical Center area is ok, but I would rather live in Midtown because you probalby will only go to the zoo, museums, and park ever so often. They could still take the train to those places.

In Midtown you are 5 - 10 minutes away from Montrose, Washington Ave, Heights, Upper Kirby, and Rice Village. Walking distance to downtown. A lot more dining and entertianment options as well.

Your price range is fine and I wouldn't worry about the roaches. You can both take the train to work.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM

564 posts, read 1,294,655 times
From McGowen Station (Midtown) to Museum District Station, you're talking about 6-8 minutes. From McGowen to Memorial Herman Hospital-Houston Zoo Station (TMC), you're talking about 9-11 minutes. Midtown should be a very good choice, considering your desires, but like with anything, shop wisely. Not all properties are equal.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 6,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The train times sound about right, but if your husband is going to be working in the Medical center and your going to be working in the museum district why not stay in that area. IMO its one of the nicest areas in Housotn. You would be close to everything, museum district, medical center, the zoo, rice university, rice village, Herman park. If you found the right spot you could walk to work.
I looked into apartments in the Museum District/Medical Center but they seemed slightly more expensive and there didn't seem to be as much to do in the area at night. Is that not correct?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM

7,390 posts, read 4,189,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcmantilla View Post
I looked into apartments in the Museum District/Medical Center but they seemed slightly more expensive and there didn't seem to be as much to do in the area at night. Is that not correct?
Rice village is not far from there and it has restaurants, bars, lounges. Most of the action in Houston these days is on washingotn ave and then is a fews years the hot spot will move somewhere else. Thats how houston is.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM

15,388 posts, read 14,863,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcmantilla View Post
Yes.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM

717 posts, read 998,804 times
Correct, what Oildog said. In Midtown, the east side of Main St. are more townhomes and less activity (but there are some good spots, just not as much). There are a lot more bars/restaraunts on the west side of Main St. along with a few bars scattered along Main.

Spots to check out during your visit.
Tex Mex - Cyclone Anaya's or Xuco Xicana. Xuco Xicana is more of a mexican fusion style.
Seafood - Reef
Breakfast - Breakfast Club or Farrago.
Brennan's is another excellent spot.

There is a cool area about a block long on Main St. Check out a band at Continental Club, Big Top or The Mink next door.

Another popular thing that has grown in Houston is Sunday morning/afternoon drinkning know as Sunday Funday. The patios aren't as crowded now because of the heat, but the bars patios are packed during the spring, fall, and warm winter days.

Then you have tons of eating and bars on Westheimer a couple of miles away in the Motrose area. Check out Anvil if you want some of the best drinks in town. Pricey, but they know what they are doing. Just get there early of you are going on a Friday/Saturday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston