Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with this community? How are the schools? I've looked at the website, but it doesn't give me much information. Is it possible to buy a lot now and build on it later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Have you driven through there? I did and wasn't impressed.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Yes I have - several times. Why weren't you impressed?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,241 times
I have a friend who is building out there now. They bought two lots and are building the house smack in the middle. They like having land and being away from everything. George Foreman has a HUGE house out there. I think I would rather live in Benders and be closer to everything but that is just me.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
I have a friend who is building out there now. They bought two lots and are building the house smack in the middle. They like having land and being away from everything. George Foreman has a HUGE house out there. I think I would rather live in Benders and be closer to everything but that is just me.
Bender's Landing is too far for my husband to commute to 225 in Pasadena every day (and some days on the weekends).

Old 06-30-2011, 01:44 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Have you driven through there? I did and wasn't impressed.
Well it is just a bunch of mid range houses on lots with narrow roads and subpar amenities, not much different than buying an acre in any backwater town and building a house. My comparison neighborhood was Bender's Landing so if you have been there maybe you can see where I am coming from.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Well it is just a bunch of mid range houses on lots with narrow roads and subpar amenities, not much different than buying an acre in any backwater town and building a house. My comparison neighborhood was Bender's Landing so if you have been there maybe you can see where I am coming from.
I haven't been to Bender's Landing. I know of it - have seen pics, etc and know that it's out of my price range. And it's too far for my DH to commute. So I don't even tease myself with looking there.

ETA: looking at satellite photos - Benders Landing owners/lots seems to not keep very many trees vs Commons has tons of trees. Sometimes where you can't see the house. I personally love more trees.

Last edited by lhafer; 06-30-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,457 times
I live in Huffman, not in the Commons, but I know many people that do. The taxes are high, in my opinion.

You would be giving in to driving quite a ways for conveniences, i.e grocery. You could go either way...to New Caney or to Atascocita, or even to Crosby. Crosby and Huffman share a chamber of commerce.

The schools? Well, I've been happy with the teachers..I HATE the menus...they are wretched. The staff is friendly, but I also hate that K and 1st are in one building, while 2nd and 3rd are in another, while 4th and 5th are in another. My kids will never be at the same school at the same time until they are in high school. Huffman just built a very nice high school and stadium, but the elementary schools need to be consolidated and I really think they could use 2 elementary schools out here. I don't know much about the middle school.

Petty crime is rampant out here...the Commons seems to have a lot of vandalism (mailboxes) and other disputes.

If you want specifcs, I can pm you....I don't want to get into a lot of it here...I don't want to offend anyone.

I will say, too, that living in this town is hard...it might be easier for the people in the Commons, because they kind of stick together, but if you're just an average family that DIDN'T grow up here, then...it's tough to break in. My husband grew up here; I grew up across the lake in Kingwood, and boy I get a LOT of crap about that...people think folks from Kingwood are JUST rollin' in the dough. There are some attitudes about people from the Commons, here, too...during Ike, the Commons supposedly had their power restored before everyone else, etc. I don't know how true that is, but I heard that repeatedly.

There are lots of trailer parks and rednecks too....

Old 06-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I live in Huffman, not in the Commons, but I know many people that do. The taxes are high, in my opinion.

You would be giving in to driving quite a ways for conveniences, i.e grocery. You could go either way...to New Caney or to Atascocita, or even to Crosby. Crosby and Huffman share a chamber of commerce.

The schools? Well, I've been happy with the teachers..I HATE the menus...they are wretched. The staff is friendly, but I also hate that K and 1st are in one building, while 2nd and 3rd are in another, while 4th and 5th are in another. My kids will never be at the same school at the same time until they are in high school. Huffman just built a very nice high school and stadium, but the elementary schools need to be consolidated and I really think they could use 2 elementary schools out here. I don't know much about the middle school.

Petty crime is rampant out here...the Commons seems to have a lot of vandalism (mailboxes) and other disputes.

If you want specifcs, I can pm you....I don't want to get into a lot of it here...I don't want to offend anyone.

I will say, too, that living in this town is hard...it might be easier for the people in the Commons, because they kind of stick together, but if you're just an average family that DIDN'T grow up here, then...it's tough to break in. My husband grew up here; I grew up across the lake in Kingwood, and boy I get a LOT of crap about that...people think folks from Kingwood are JUST rollin' in the dough. There are some attitudes about people from the Commons, here, too...during Ike, the Commons supposedly had their power restored before everyone else, etc. I don't know how true that is, but I heard that repeatedly.

There are lots of trailer parks and rednecks too....
Yeah, I was kind of afraid of that. Good to know. I grew up an a hick little town outside of Ft. Worth. I know the mentality. And I don't really want to go back to that mentality either. Maybe I will have just keep searching.

Other options for areas with land out there that are more on the east side since my DH works in the ship channel??

Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 8,343 times
I live in the Commons and absolutely love it. I have lived all over the world. This place is amazing!!!!!!!?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston