Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 AM

90 posts, read 223,608 times

Advertisements

I want to sell my car privately, probably on craigslist. I have several concerns. The first is receiving valid funds. Someone on this forum suggested going with the buyer to his/her bank and be with them as they receive a cashier's check. That seems to make sense to me.

The other issue is security/safety. I am not wild about the idea of strangers coming over to my house. Is it better to meet in a public parking lot? Also, if I let the potential buyer take the car for a test drive by himself, I may never see my car again. On the other hand, if I go along with the buyer on the test drive, I would have a concern for my own safety.

I suppose I could have a dealer sell it on consignment. Another option would be a private party lot, but I have not come across any in Houston so far.

Thanks so much for the help. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 AM

75 posts, read 137,058 times
Really that's how it is whenever you sell anything online. You really got to trust your instincts or just play it by ear. I just sold some Home Theater equipment yesterday via Craigslist and didn't know who or what the guy would be like but after dealing and talking to him on the phone, I got a sense of security.

I would honestly NEVER invite any strangers over to my own home and would meet them in public somewhere(preferably crowded). And I would think letting them test drive by themself is a bad idea. If you are worried, the best would be getting a friend to come along with you. Therefore, it would be at least comforting that there's two of you.

As far as when it is agreed to sell, I would definitely meet at the bank and go over all the paperwork there.

IMO, I don't care if it's more of a hassle doing everything or if it takes longer time to get everything accomplished, I rather be safe then sorry.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM

23,809 posts, read 14,939,553 times
There are tons of car lots around my part of Houston who charge $250 to sell your car. We used one on Louetta, a little east of Stuebner Airline. They handle the whole transaction. Test drive, money, title transfer. They called and said there was a buyer for my Town and Country, we settled on price, I wanted cash. They gave it to me. Took about a week. No phones calls from drunks in the middle of the night or strangers at my door.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 AM

90 posts, read 223,608 times
Excellent advice so far, thanks. Does anyone know of a lot in Southwest Houston like the one crone is talking about?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 AM

75 posts, read 137,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renorich1950 View Post
Excellent advice so far, thanks. Does anyone know of a lot in Southwest Houston like the one crone is talking about?
I've actually seen one along Hwy 6 going towards I-10, it would be on the Left Side but I don't remember the name or anything...

Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renorich1950 View Post
The other issue is security/safety. I am not wild about the idea of strangers coming over to my house. Is it better to meet in a public parking lot? Also, if I let the potential buyer take the car for a test drive by himself, I may never see my car again. On the other hand, if I go along with the buyer on the test drive, I would have a concern for my own safety.
Meet in a parking lot and let em test drive it. If you don't like that, take it to Carmax, Texas Auto Traders, etc. That's one reason those types of places exist. More money usually = more risk in anything you do.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 AM

1,998 posts, read 3,498,271 times
Don't forget to follow this Seller's Checklist, including filing the vehicle transfer notification within 30 days of the sale!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:36 AM

295 posts, read 1,167,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There are tons of car lots around my part of Houston who charge $250 to sell your car. We used one on Louetta, a little east of Stuebner Airline. They handle the whole transaction. Test drive, money, title transfer. They called and said there was a buyer for my Town and Country, we settled on price, I wanted cash. They gave it to me. Took about a week. No phones calls from drunks in the middle of the night or strangers at my door.

great advice.. i might consider this in the future.. thanks..

Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM

18,063 posts, read 25,155,470 times
Meet him in a public place and always have another person close by that can call for help if anything crazy were to happen.

When I met people at my house, I didn't let them in the house.
Whatever I was going to sell them I had it in my garage.
In that way, if something happens, my neighbors could hear it and/or see it.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM

799 posts, read 2,435,808 times
I would feel much less comfortable letting my car sit on a consignment lot vs. the tiny risk of harm in selling it myself.

I sold a Jeep Wrangler on CL. I told several people who sounded like kids, or idiots the car had already sold, etc., and refused to deal with them. People who could communicate on an adult level could come test drive the car at a public place. I let two or three look at it. All but one wanted to low ball me like crazy. I politely, but firmly declined. The last guy was very interested, and was a Jeep enthusiast, who was very knowledgable. I talked to him so long that I was completely comfortable letting him pick it up and pay me in cash at my house. I had a counterfeit pen to check the bills(these are cheap, and widely available.)

That being said, Im 6'6", 230 lbs, and I have a CHL. I wouldnt let my wife do the same if I was out of town. Carmax will probably pay you within 2k of what you could sell for on your own, and its a short process vs who knows how long, if ever on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: