Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 PM

43 posts, read 83,875 times

Advertisements

I have tried to search this, and nothing came up. As well as reading other threads regarding cable companies, I have not read anything on Phonoscope.

Cable is included in the apartment I just signed a lease with. I found out their cable provider is Phonoscope and the leasing agent told me I can call them to ask about upgrades and adding Internet through them. She stated that "Comcast does not have this area." And that I can use anyone else but Comcast.

Does anyone know anything about Phonoscope? Will they be a reliable source for Internet? I need a high-speed Internet that is reliable.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,286 times
I've never heard of them. I don't know if the lack of anything on the web about them is a good or bad thing.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,503 times
You can also check with your leasing agent if you they allow satellite dish (Dish Network, Direct TV, etc.) installation. They probably ok if you select Uverse (AT&T) also.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I've never heard of them. I don't know if the lack of anything on the web about them is a good or bad thing.
That is exactly what I am thinking...

This is what I pulled off of wikipedia regarding Phonoscope:

"Phonoscope Communications is a broadband and cable television provider with corporate headquarters in Houston, Texas.
Lee Cook, Founder and CEO -
As one of Houston's most prominent businessmen that nobody seems to truly know, the elusive Lee Cook was transferred to Houston from The Manhattan Project by bankers W.T. Carter and Jesse H. Jones in the early 1950s. They, with the involvement of entertainment tycoon Bing Crosby, founded Phonoscope in 1953. The group launched the city's first cable television company in downtown Houston, and introduced video conferencing service to high rise office buildings in the mid 1950s. Later ventures into the education and medical fields with their '2-way' television allowed Phonoscope to become designated as a Texas public utility company. Phonoscope stands today as the oldest and largest privately owned/operated metropolitan area fiber network in North America, and remains the preferred choice for secure commercial and residential telecommunications in Houston and surrounding Texas counties."

I searched Google for "Phonoscope reviews" and could only find three.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
You can also check with your leasing agent if you they allow satellite dish (Dish Network, Direct TV, etc.) installation. They probably ok if you select Uverse (AT&T) also.
Yes that is a good idea. Since the cable TV is included in rent, I will see if it is tolerable. I don't know how you can screw up basic cable, but I am sure it is possible.

Regarding Internet, I doubt I will use them and will look into other alternatives.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,250 times
I've heard of Phonoscope. The one thing that I know is that they only service businesses and apartments. Not individual residences....

Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,581 times
Phonoscope is usually a high level business provider.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:35 AM

88 posts, read 191,345 times
Phonoscope is really good. I have had them for over four years, before that I had AT&T and they sucked. I had them in Commerce Tower and now have them in Humble Tower in downtown. I pay $55.00 a month for digital cable and internet, no HBO or anything like that (I have netflix for that).

Most offices downtown also have Phonoscope, they have some agreement or something where they get almost all of the downtown business.

Phonoscope Cable

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniepwils View Post
Phonoscope is really good. I have had them for over four years, before that I had AT&T and they sucked. I had them in Commerce Tower and now have them in Humble Tower in downtown. I pay $55.00 a month for digital cable and internet, no HBO or anything like that (I have netflix for that).

Most offices downtown also have Phonoscope, they have some agreement or something where they get almost all of the downtown business.

Phonoscope Cable
Well it is good to hear something positive about them. I found 3 reviews online and they all mentioned Phonoscope playing the same commercials over and over that would overlap into your show. I'm not a huge TV guy, just like my sports really but I am more concerned with ensuring I have a quality ISP.

Thanks for all your posts!

Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 AM

381 posts, read 1,233,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
Phonoscope is usually a high level business provider.

I was going to say, if you work in Greenway Palza, you HAVE to use Phonoscope....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston