Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
The article was about TEMPE ending their contract with their photo enforcement vendor REDFLEX, REDFLEX issues red light tickets and speeding tickets in TEMPE, AZ. The RED LIGHT CAMERA program and the speeding program are ending. They are THE SAME CAMERAS. The reference about the state stopping speed cameras LAST SUMMER was background that the reporter used to give a braoder perspective on the issue. Once again, what about those systems that only produce photos and not videos and how those are different from the Houston cameras?
No the article was about them turning off the speeding cameras. They are not the same cameras that Houston has for their red light cameras. Not even the same vendor or the same technology.

And at the very end of the article it says....

Tempe released a statement Monday saying that Tempe City Attorney Andrew Ching is still in negotiations with Redflex to resolve the lawsuit. The council could consider a proposal for a new photo-enforcement contract at a future meeting, said City Manager Charlie Meyer in the release.

None of this has anything to do with Houstons system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:53 PM

448 posts, read 702,316 times
You do realize the speed cameras and the red light cameras are the SAME CAMERAS in the SAME BOX on the pole at intersections right?

Tell me again about the one that only takes photos, you seem to keep forgetting about that whopper.

BTW redflex has several contracts with cities in Texas, there is essentially no difference in how redflex's system works and ATS's cameras in Houston work. League city has them from redflex for red light runners, and guess what, THEY TAKE VIDEO

Councilmen Tommy Cones, Tim Paulissen and Chris Samuelson voted against the agreement with RedFlex Traffic Systems.

Although the cameras use both still images and video, there will not be constant surveillance of the intersection.
The combination of photos and video will assist police officers in determining whether to issue a citation, and will not fine drivers under extenuating circumstances."

Red light cameras to start snapping League City drivers - Your Houston News: News

Tell me again how well you understand the technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
No the article was about them turning off the speeding cameras. They are not the same cameras that Houston has for their red light cameras. Not even the same vendor or the same technology.

And at the very end of the article it says....

Tempe released a statement Monday saying that Tempe City Attorney Andrew Ching is still in negotiations with Redflex to resolve the lawsuit. The council could consider a proposal for a new photo-enforcement contract at a future meeting, said City Manager Charlie Meyer in the release.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 PM

Watch the video for the news article, they say the RED LIGHT CAMERAS will be turned off in 7 days! They also show the footage of the camera boxes at the intersections so you can see what they look like. And guess what, they show footage of the camera VIDEO from a violation! Hillarious, that's what we call a pants down spankin' Only captures photos and only the speed cameras are getting shut off indeed. This is the great mind that talked about how knowledgeable he was and how well he understood the technology! No wonder you think cameras are a good idea. You have NO IDEA HOW THEY WORK!

Photo enforcement in Tempe will come to an end this month

Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
A friend who moved here several years ago from AZ, commented shortly after her arrival that she really had to take extra care at red lights here because she had never seen so many people run lights like they did here .... said that they had red light cameras in AZ and that the red light running problem was minimal compared to Houston.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM

aww where did you go? Shall we recap for the home viewers? This bastian of knowledge about ticket cameras that slapped himself on the back for what an excellent job he did on soundly trouncing me, the one that believes lowering the penalty for a crime gets you less of that activity is against photo enforcement but not red light cameras, why? Because photo enforcement means speed cameras that only take photos, not videos and that is different from red light cameras like Houston has. And because an article referenced the fact that the state of Arizona banned speed cameras on freeways last summer Tempe AZ, who this week ended their contract with redflex, (who only uses speed camera technology that doesn't take video like the system in League city) that means that Tempe only banned their speeding cameras, not their red light cameras despite what the nice lady on the TV said about the red light cameras in Tempe being turned off in 7 days. That about sum it up? Sadly, this kind of reasoning is very typical of the camera keeper thought process.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Wait a minute, I have it on good authority that AZ doesn't have red light cameras, only speed cameras that don't take video, clearly your friend is mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
A friend who moved here several years ago from AZ, commented shortly after her arrival that she really had to take extra care at red lights here because she had never seen so many people run lights like they did here .... said that they had red light cameras in AZ and that the red light running problem was minimal compared to Houston.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
You do realize the speed cameras and the red light cameras are the SAME CAMERAS in the SAME BOX on the pole at intersections right?

Tell me again about the one that only takes photos, you seem to keep forgetting about that whopper.

BTW redflex has several contracts with cities in Texas, there is essentially no difference in how redflex's system works and ATS's cameras in Houston work. League city has them from redflex for red light runners, and guess what, THEY TAKE VIDEO

Councilmen Tommy Cones, Tim Paulissen and Chris Samuelson voted against the agreement with RedFlex Traffic Systems.

Although the cameras use both still images and video, there will not be constant surveillance of the intersection.
The combination of photos and video will assist police officers in determining whether to issue a citation, and will not fine drivers under extenuating circumstances."

Red light cameras to start snapping League City drivers - Your Houston News: News

Tell me again how well you understand the technology?
As well as I can read it!
Do you recall writing this: The video is on a constant loop constantly videotaping the intersection and the video is time stamped when it detects a violation. And it directly contradicts what you just posted...tell me again how well you understand technology?

I don't represent guilty people in traffic court so I'm not as expert at trying to convince people how they are the same or why they are no good. I believe in science and real data...not a sleazy traffic ticket attorney who makes his living off of the mostly guilty.

Again you posted a link in attempt to promote social proofing. That article had nothing to do with Houston's red light cameras...different vendor and different technology.

Last edited by TVC15; 07-11-2011 at 09:37 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM

LOL! The final retort of the defeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Thanks for educating me Kubosh!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Default The technology used in Houston's Red Light Cameras

Q: Why is one ATS camera better than multiple others?

A: ATS uses the highest digital color resolution cameras in the industry, giving it a huge advantage over competitors.
  1. The ATS single camera solution captures multiple violations simultaneously taking as many as five images per second. Other single and multi-camera systems can only capture one violation at a time.
  2. Only ATS uses a single camera, up to 16 megapixels, capable of producing the clearest images over several lanes of traffic. Others claim they have the “equivalent” output as ATS. But pixels cannot be added together to produce equivalent or better results so their claims are misleading at best.
  3. All violation evidence is extracted from one image set, without the use of a secondary camera to capture the license plate. Multi-cams have a history of license plate mismatches and camera sync issues resulting in overturned violations and program terminations in several states.
  4. The flexibility of ATS single-camera placement (farther back and higher on the pole) provides a better field of view and the ability to capture violators over the top of tall vehicles like buses or trucks.
  5. One camera covering all lanes of traffic means less roadway equipment and fewer dependent connections, resulting in a lower probability of error.
This is not the same technology I am reading right off of REDFLEX's website for their speed camera. They are close but not the SAME! Especially if the REDFLEX system is using 2, 4 or 6 megapixels. You're not going to get as good of an image as you would with the 16 megapixel technology.

Also how good the technology works depends on how it was set up and how it was used.

I don't have any idea how AZ is using their cameras. I do know how Houston's cameras work and I have seen the evidence...it is irrefutable. I am not as well rehearsed in what AZ uses...I don't make my living off of knowing that.

Last edited by TVC15; 07-11-2011 at 10:10 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
LOL! The final retort of the defeated.
OMG hardly defeated.

The data from HPD shows overwhelming that red light runners increase when the cameras are turned off.

How am I defeated in that?

That has been my only point in this tread and I have proven it hands down.

You have proven nothing!

Besides Kubosh was defeated! The cameras are back on and sending out viloations....now thats a slam dunk defeat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston