Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 AM

15 posts, read 43,986 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to Texas after being gone for 3 years and 3 months. I bought a vehicle where I currently live that I plan on bringing back with me. I'm wondering if I'll have to pay the 6.5% sales tax or if I qualify as a new resident (only $90) since I no longer have a TX drivers license.

Also, my husband has never been a resident of Texas. Could I register the car in his name with me as a second person and avoid paying the sales tax?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Not sure since I have only lived in Texas all of my life until last year. So I am not sure about what you need to do upon returning...heck I still have my Texas state inspection sticker on my front windshield as well as my vehicle registration sticker. They both just expired but I am leaving them on...I am proud of where I am from and I like to show the Californians where I am from...especially since I don't wear my Don't Mess with Texas T-shirt everyday!

I found a few links that will help you figure it out. BTW where are you moving back from?

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/misc/vtr450forms.pdf (broken link)

TxDPS - Out-of-State Motorists

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/

You will need both sites...the DPS and the TXDOT since vehicle registration and inspection are separate processes. In Texas, the Department of Transportation oversees the vehicle titling and registration process and the Department of Public Safety supervises the inspection program. Generally, states honor the laws of other states, and there are even reciprocal agreements, where this state honors other states laws as their own.

Good luck!

Last edited by TVC15; 07-11-2011 at 04:06 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 06:27 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
I don't believe you'll have to pay sales tax on the vehicle when you register it here. Didn't you pay sales tax on it in the state you purchased it in? By the way, here's the new resident vehicle registration page for TX DMV:

New Residents

Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
You will not have to pay a sales tax because you already (assuming) paid the sales tax where you currently live.
I have moved from here and moved back before.
You will just have to have the car registered in the county you will be living in, which you are supposed to have done within 30 days of moving back.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:16 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
I don't believe you'll have to pay sales tax on the vehicle when you register it here. Didn't you pay sales tax on it in the state you purchased it in? By the way, here's the new resident vehicle registration page for TX DMV:

New Residents
Be sure to bring cash or check. They do not take credit or debit cards.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 AM

15 posts, read 43,986 times
I live in Alaska. We don't pay sales tax here but it says new residents only have to pay the $90 fee. I'm just not sure if I qualify because I was previously a resident.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geministical View Post
I live in Alaska. We don't pay sales tax here but it says new residents only have to pay the $90 fee. I'm just not sure if I qualify because I was previously a resident.
Info for you: : Texas Administrative Code
(2) A new resident may also be a resident of other states. However, once residence is established in Texas, a person, firm, corporation, or association may not subsequently become a new resident within the meaning of the Texas Tax Code, §152.023, without a showing that the residence formerly established in Texas was abandoned.
If you established residence in Alaska (obtained DL there, titled/registered cars there) and have no property/other ties to Texas, then you should be considered a new resident. Has the car you just purchased been titled in Alaska in your name? I imagine if you haven't retitled the car since the sale, and you try and do that in Texas, you will be responsible for paying the sales tax here.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 AM

75 posts, read 164,634 times
I've found Texas DMV to be pretty responsive when submitting e-mails. I've often got responses within 24 hours.

Here's the link to Texas DMV question submission form for Vehicle Title and Registration questions.

Contact Us

This statement concerns me since you mentioned the vehicle was purchased in Alaska and sales tax was not collected.

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/drivers/new_residents.htm - an original out-of-state title, proof of registration, proof of sales tax payment or current foreign/military ownership document,

Be sure to get in touch with the Tax Collector office of the county where you will ultimately take up residence as well.

Last edited by sheikh.yerbouti; 07-12-2011 at 01:17 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,060 times
I am going through this right now. First things first; you can call this number (888)368-4689 to ask any questions you have. You will have to sit on hold for a bit but once they answer they are INCREDIBLY helpful. I would write down your questions beforehand so you make sure you dont hang up before you get them ALL answered.

Here's my take on things: If the car is titled in your name then you should not need to pay taxes on the car. Really, that is just in the case of your initial purchase. When you register your car, there is a fee for registration. They will also give you new plates (assuming you also no longer have Texas plates)

When you go to get your license you will need to show proof of insurance and registration for any car that you own. Make sure you bring this with you!!! You will also NEED your social security card. ESPECIALLY if you have an ID from another state.

These websites were of help to me throughout this frustrating process -
For your license: TxDPS - Texas Drivers License / ID
For titling and registration, etc: About the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

hope it helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston