Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:10 PM

90 posts, read 129,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I think we have some of the worst air pollution because all the chemical plants are here. I don't think anyone has figured out a way for our country to keep going forward without them. People like to pretend that we can do without chemicals, but if we tried... it wouldn't be long before China did indeed take over. And sure, shutting down the plants sounds like a good idea for our lungs, but then they'd just move them to Mexico and all that stuff would blow right back up here like their smoke from their fires a few years ago.

Until we figure out a magical way to make gasoline and plastics (among several other things) there is going to have to be chemical plants and Texas just happens to be where they are.
I completely agree that we can't shut down these plants but the fact still stands, these companies are using loop holes set up by the Texas right to pollute over the federal limit meanwhile sickening the population that lives around these areas. They are breaking the law pure and simple.

Just some statistics:

Quote:
The rules will annually prevent 468,000 premature deaths, nonfatal heart attacks and cases of asthma and acute bronchitis - estimates which a spokesperson for the US Centers for Disease Control told New Scientist were "based on sound science". Overall, the health gains should save $120 to $280 billion per year by 2014.

Last edited by sw4life; 07-13-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,426,915 times
Good for the EPA. No reason why Texas should be allowed to play by a different set of rule than the rest of the country. I'm all for origin emissions limits/monitoring as it is more easily enforceable and doesn't allow industry to hide the details behind a single facility number.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,431,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I believe everyone has a right to voice it.
Yes, but this is not the political section of City-data.
Looks like everyone is allowed to Obama-bash on here, but as soon as someone starts a negative thread about conservatives on here it gets shut down or moved to the political section
Doesn't seem very 'moderate' to me

Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM

23,739 posts, read 14,840,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw4life View Post
Think about it this way. Who lives next to the refineries: the poor. Wealthier suburban republicans live so far away in their bubble that the issue of clean air is pretty non existant.
Air and water move. We are all being affected. The poor next door to it do get the worst of it. I live over 25 miles from any plant. There are many days going in the backyard in not an option.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:48 PM

18,042 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I think we have some of the worst air pollution because all the chemical plants are here. I don't think anyone has figured out a way for our country to keep going forward without them.
If we can outsource factories, why can't we outsource refineries?

Venezuela has refineries in Corpus Christi, Cuba, Curacao, Jamaica, Germany, the United Kingdom and Sweden
Venezuela´s PDVSA Has 18 Refineries Worldwide | colareboenglish

Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 PM

133 posts, read 267,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If we can outsource factories, why can't we outsource refineries?

Venezuela has refineries in Corpus Christi, Cuba, Curacao, Jamaica, Germany, the United Kingdom and Sweden
Venezuela´s PDVSA Has 18 Refineries Worldwide | colareboenglish
Factories produce a product they have to sell us. Refineries produce a drug we are addicted to. Having them " in country" is the only way we assure our next fix.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:12 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,134,059 times
Fun to watch the affirmative action community organizer-in-chief declare war on oil&gas, hedge fund guys, and any other "fat cat" job creator who rides around on "corporate jets" (largely made by highly-paid US workers in GA from what I understand)

With a ~16% U-6 unemployment rate and an anti-business climate in a delevering, overtaxed, welfare state US, likely that the sanctimonious moron who's never had a real job in his life will soon join ranks of unemployed in '12....Darwinian selection may prevail

Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,431,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Fun to watch the affirmative action community organizer-in-chief declare war on oil&gas, hedge fund guys, and any other "fat cat" job creator who rides around on "corporate jets" (largely made by highly-paid US workers in GA from what I understand)

With a ~16% U-6 unemployment rate and an anti-business climate in a delevering, overtaxed, welfare state US, likely that the sanctimonious moron who's never had a real job in his life will soon join ranks of unemployed in '12....Darwinian selection may prevail
Change 'affirmative action' to 'legacy program' in and a couple of other (unfounded) quotes in your statement and you're pretty much describing George W. Bush

Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 AM

65 posts, read 134,450 times
Sorry to burst most of your bubbles folks but the EPA and the current administration are postering at best. Being green is still an unproven commodity and we are barely getting into the science of it. We like to can all the "green house gas" pollutants until we see Nuclear energy shutting major cities down. Lets look no farther than Californian and their local government moratorium that they have on plants for energy production. They get blessed with the by product of rolling brown outs due to not enough energy production. Maybe I'm being selfish but if the technology is proven lets use it till we prove the new technology. I know it's a hot button issue but unfortunately unless you are on my side of the energy issue you don't see what all goes on and the true issue at hand. Everyone is entitled to their opinion just try to temper it with research and communication with folks that understand the big picture. We don't have to be like minded sheep but we all have the same goal in mind when we all really look at the end goal. We want more jobs we want a cleaner environment but sometimes the answer isn't as easy as building the question.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM

18,042 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
... the affirmative action community organizer-in-chief ....
I didn't get it
can you explain us why our president is "Affirmative action" in chief?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston