Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM

8 posts, read 16,070 times

Advertisements

We are buying a house in Houston soon, and we're torn on location. I prefer to live in the city, and I think Timbergrove looks like a great neighborhood - fits our budget and seems to be a commutable distance. My husband likes the suburbs because of the larger (and cheaper) homes, and better schools. He is going to be working near the Beltway & 45, not too far from the airport.

So I need some help convincing myself...or my husband. Are the schools in Spring much better than in Timbergrove? Is Timbergrove a safe neighborhood for families? We have 2 small children & a dog and like to go for long walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 AM

I should also ask...is there another neighborhood or suburb we should consider?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 AM

381 posts, read 1,234,226 times
Spring ISD has a bad reputation. You have to really be conscious of what schools you are zoned for when buying. I know some other folsk on here would be able to tell you which schools are good and which to avoid. Same really goes for HISD. Timbergrove schools you are zoned to are ok, (elementary best) would not send child to zoned middle ( Hamilton) - and High School, Waltrip is making a come back.

To make Houston ISD work - you need to utilize the MAGNET Programs. look into them on the HISD home page for more information. Basically - if your child is accepted ( key word - accepted) - you can go to any HISD school you want.

We have lived in Heights and Oak Forest ( Timbergrove in the middle of the two neighborhoods) over the past 12 years, with out kids, and now with....and I love the area.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
How can you be sure the magnet high schools will be there when you need them?
I suspect if you go to the north part of Spring things will be fine. The problem is all of the low income housing south of 1960. The Exxon campus opening in several years should have an impact on Spring schools.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
How can you be sure the magnet high schools will be there when you need them?
I suspect if you go to the north part of Spring things will be fine. The problem is all of the low income housing south of 1960. The Exxon campus opening in several years should have an impact on Spring schools.
Crone - good question! LOL! I personally prefer in town living, and with a first grader - i am not goign to worry too much about HS for a while.

Also - good point with Exxon campus. If you are looking Spring, why not go Woodlands? They have an excellent ISD.

Spring Branch/ Memorial area might be a good choice too.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:31 AM

brownybaby, these days, I think I've fallen down the rabbit hole with Alice. There is no telling what tomorrow will bring. We moved from Spring 25 years ago so our kid could go to HSPVA. It is still there. Have heard rumblings about shutting down some magnet programs due to cost. Could be they are speaking of the lower grades.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 AM

We were looking in the Klein ISD area of Spring, and the schools didn't seem much different from The Woodlands to me. Same ratings & similar test scores according to har.

So if we did decide to move into the city....I might need to budget for private schools since we may not get into the magnet schools?

Old 07-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Anywhere in Klein ISD should do fine. Meyer park is the place folks go to walk, if they don't walk in their neighborhood. We walk our dog at midnight. No problems.
I've gotta a house to sell, too. Mittlestadt school.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Appl - if you are diligent and put forms in on time, you have a good shot of going where you want. Some schools require "magnet testing" - you put your top 3 schools, and you will get into one of them. I have friends in Garden Oaks that drive to Bellaire.

It is very hard to say what is best for other children. I have found being active in my childs school, doing home work and projects when assigned, etc - is what it takes.

Please do not let some anonymous post board be the judge for what you should do. Research research research .

Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,585,848 times
if you want to live in spring , get a house located in a zone that belongs to Klein Collins, Klein Oak for the most part. Klein High is ok too, the worst out of the three. Spring is calm and close to everything. Good bang for the buck in terms of home. We are buying a new home, 3200 sq for 203K, tax rate is also a important thing to look at. Spring has some areas with real low tax rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston