Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:02 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,939,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandh View Post
From the replies so far, I hear that 77025 is not as desirable as Meyerland. It seems like the houses there are selling for more for whatever reason. One thing that bothered me is the large number of new houses poppoing up in between old ranch homes. I see less of that in Meyerland. But there are no houses now available in meyerland, other than the ones that are near chimney rock or so....

So again, why is 77025 selling for more if it is less desirable than meyerland?
Some people think that Meyerland is a better deal, but if the prices were the same, I think more people would recommend Braes if it were closer to the OP's place of work. Both areas are very nice. If you don't like big new houess popping up between ranches, go someplace where the boom hasn't already started like Glenbrook Valley. Meyerland, if the growth continues, will end up just like Bellaire, West U, and Braes where the new, more expensive, larger construction supplants the old ranches in place now.

And check flood maps. Both Meyerland and Braes fall into areas of a 100 year flood, so be careful about buying, because flood insurance could add to the cost of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,939,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
I think that being adjacent to the Med Center and West U drive much of the value in Braes Heights and Ayrshire. You don't need to get on the freeway, or cross under it to get to either place, which adds value. The homes themselves aren't any more valuable, it's all land price.

A good chunk of Braes Heights flooded in Allison, so that event accelerated the rates of teardowns. The new homes are raised up, which makes them tower over the original ranchers. Parts of Meyerland flooded, but not to the same extent, hence many more original homes.
The houses in Ayeshire/Braes Heights are also alot older than meyerland by about a decade and there's a great difference in construction between a mid 40's to mid 50's house and a mid 50's to mid 60's house. Alot of the Braes area were tract homes and not a sturdy as the earlier custom build craftsmen of the heights or montrose. Frankly, alot of the early (and frankly current) "developer" homes are just garbage and deserve teardown.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,036 times
I have lived in Houston for nearly 20 years and have been looking for lots after Harvey when I came upon this thread. Had to reply to update the info for people who aren't familiar with Houston. Firstly, I really have to debunk the previous posters who stated that Meyerland is nicer than Braes Heights and Ayrshire. Even apart from the flooding problems, have these posters driven through the aforementioned neighborhoods? I would characterize Braes Heights and Ayrshire as West University lite. Back in 2007-2008 time frame, all the streets, sidewalks, and drainage were redone in Braes Heights and Ayrshire as well as very nice street lamps put in. The Weekley YMCA and Stella Link library are all close by. It really is an amazing neighborhood. Very clean. Twain was completely rebuilt also during the 2007-2008 timeframe and is now an excellent school rivaling Kolter and definitely Lovett.

Meyerland doesn't come close. I would call it the cheaper and older version of Bellaire. Most of the streets have not been redone and are old and pothole filled. The sidewalks are not uniform. The majority of the houses are still 1960s ranch houses. Now, don't get me wrong, it's got a pretty good location and reasonably priced real estate. But please don't tell me, Meyerland is a nicer neighborhood than Braes Heights/Ayrshire. Totally different feel and vibe. There's a reason that people pay the premium. I would put it this way, if you can't afford West U, you look in Bellaire and Braes Heights/Ayrshire. You can't afford Bellaire and Braes Heights/Ayrshire, then you look in Meyerland.

Further update. It is now 2017 and many homes in Meyerland south of the bayou have flooded three times! I would venture to say that more than 50% of the homes in Meyerland flooded during Harvey. By comparison, I would say 30% of the homes in Braes Heights/Ayrshire flooded during Harvey and definitely was not as affected by Memorial Day and Tax Day floods compared to Meyerland. So all this to say, that's why there is a premium from Braes Heights/Ayrshire to Meyerland. And if you don't believe me, check the appreciation rates. 36% Braes Heights v 31% Meyerland in the last 10 years. Sure, Meyerland will remain an attractive reasonable option for families, but, believe me, it is, in its current state, not nicer than Braes Heights. Maybe in 5-10 years, with all the lots going on fire sale, there will be newer homes built and the city will re-do the drainage and streets (as Braes Heights did after Allison), Meyerland will look different. But, as is, nope not even close.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:28 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,416,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeuz View Post
I have lived in Houston for nearly 20 years and have been looking for lots after Harvey when I came upon this thread. Had to reply to update the info for people who aren't familiar with Houston. Firstly, I really have to debunk the previous posters who stated that Meyerland is nicer than Braes Heights and Ayrshire. Even apart from the flooding problems, have these posters driven through the aforementioned neighborhoods? I would characterize Braes Heights and Ayrshire as West University lite. Back in 2007-2008 time frame, all the streets, sidewalks, and drainage were redone in Braes Heights and Ayrshire as well as very nice street lamps put in. The Weekley YMCA and Stella Link library are all close by. It really is an amazing neighborhood. Very clean. Twain was completely rebuilt also during the 2007-2008 timeframe and is now an excellent school rivaling Kolter and definitely Lovett.

Meyerland doesn't come close. I would call it the cheaper and older version of Bellaire. Most of the streets have not been redone and are old and pothole filled. The sidewalks are not uniform. The majority of the houses are still 1960s ranch houses. Now, don't get me wrong, it's got a pretty good location and reasonably priced real estate. But please don't tell me, Meyerland is a nicer neighborhood than Braes Heights/Ayrshire. Totally different feel and vibe. There's a reason that people pay the premium. I would put it this way, if you can't afford West U, you look in Bellaire and Braes Heights/Ayrshire. You can't afford Bellaire and Braes Heights/Ayrshire, then you look in Meyerland.

Further update. It is now 2017 and many homes in Meyerland south of the bayou have flooded three times! I would venture to say that more than 50% of the homes in Meyerland flooded during Harvey. By comparison, I would say 30% of the homes in Braes Heights/Ayrshire flooded during Harvey and definitely was not as affected by Memorial Day and Tax Day floods compared to Meyerland. So all this to say, that's why there is a premium from Braes Heights/Ayrshire to Meyerland. And if you don't believe me, check the appreciation rates. 36% Braes Heights v 31% Meyerland in the last 10 years. Sure, Meyerland will remain an attractive reasonable option for families, but, believe me, it is, in its current state, not nicer than Braes Heights. Maybe in 5-10 years, with all the lots going on fire sale, there will be newer homes built and the city will re-do the drainage and streets (as Braes Heights did after Allison), Meyerland will look different. But, as is, nope not even close.
This thread was before the impact of the last three floods. I live in Meyerland, and not sure anyone argues it is nicer than Braes Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: