Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM

538 posts, read 1,361,435 times

Advertisements

They're obviously not easy to come by. I see the YMCA has them. It's been awhile since I've worked out in an organized facility. To be honest, I paid less than $60 bucks a month (my local Y's fee) to work out - so, I'm wondering is it worth it?

I don't know Y (hehe), but I expected the YMCA to be less per month. I guess that's paying for things I won't use? I just want the workout facilities. It's close to me, but is it worth it?

FYI - I need a padded track, due to a bum knee. Running on hard surfaces kills me, and jogging on a treadmill numbs my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM

381 posts, read 1,092,521 times
The Bally's off 290 at Hollister has an indoor track. I'm not sure if its padded-I think it may be. The facility is showing its age but its a decent place to workout.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Right. I did see that Bally's had indoor tracks, but there isn't one near me. I think the closest would be at Champion Forest and 1960, and that's pretty far.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,384 times
i went to weekley YMCA and it was 75 for two adults. i believe 35/person and 100 starting fee. dont qualify for any assistance so thats the basic price for all access for an adult (non senior no kids). the y's ive been too didnt have indoor tracks though

have you tried running cross country tracks i.e. grass, dirt paths? true you cant do that anywhere and not everyone likes running outdoors. nothing cheaper though!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 PM

I wish I had that option. Around here, it's concrete, or people's yards.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:42 PM

81 posts, read 128,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
They're obviously not easy to come by. I see the YMCA has them. It's been awhile since I've worked out in an organized facility. To be honest, I paid less than $60 bucks a month (my local Y's fee) to work out - so, I'm wondering is it worth it?

I don't know Y (hehe), but I expected the YMCA to be less per month. I guess that's paying for things I won't use? I just want the workout facilities. It's close to me, but is it worth it?

FYI - I need a padded track, due to a bum knee. Running on hard surfaces kills me, and jogging on a treadmill numbs my mind.

there aint no track in my gym. people just run around the equipment as they please 0.o its not even much of a space when you think about running.

i think the Bally's in rice village or one of those locations of the Q gym had a mini track on the inside.

dont most of our high school tracks have that rubberized stuff? i run on either the treadmill, the park, or the beach, none of which is easy on a bum knee. i know when i step on some of those track surfaces, i feel like i'm stepping in a cadiallac. maybe try different shoes too. make sure to get a running shoe and not a cross trainer or a basketball shoe.

just my .02 worth ...

Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,227,327 times
I can confirm the new Downtown Y has an indoor track. And an indoor pool!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM

448 posts, read 1,587,661 times
That is correct, the downtown Y does have an indoor track. Pretty sleek facility.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
there aint no track in my gym. people just run around the equipment as they please 0.o its not even much of a space when you think about running.

i think the Bally's in rice village or one of those locations of the Q gym had a mini track on the inside.

dont most of our high school tracks have that rubberized stuff? i run on either the treadmill, the park, or the beach, none of which is easy on a bum knee. i know when i step on some of those track surfaces, i feel like i'm stepping in a cadiallac. maybe try different shoes too. make sure to get a running shoe and not a cross trainer or a basketball shoe.

just my .02 worth ...
I've got good running shoes with orthotics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
That is correct, the downtown Y does have an indoor track. Pretty sleek facility.
Is it padded? I know the Cy Creek Y has one too, but it doesn't mention that it's padded. It's elevated and runs the parameter of the indoor gym. The fact that it's elevated, makes me wonder if it's padded.

Work has gotten in the way, but I hope to go by there tomorrow. I guess I'll find out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston