U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2011, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
Default Registering a vehicle in Houston...frusterated!

What does it take get get my car legal in Texas? We just moved here, and there are so many things I need to get changed over, one place is asking for this first- then in order to get that, I have to go get this first!

Basically when I noticed in Feb that my inspection sticker and plates were expiring, I waited a couple of weeks because we were planning to refinance and the bank said they could get everything transferred from Louisiana to Tx for us!

MISTAKE- now everything is expired (including plates now, thanks to the 4 month long wait on the bank), I am still waiting and they keep calling wanting something new every couple of weeks so they can resubmit.

I am nearly 10 months pregnant and due any day now. NOW I am screwed and just want it over with. I just want to go to DMV myself and do it! Any recommendations on a specific DMV in the Houston area with shorter wait times? You can imagine how uncomfortable I am this far along, so minimizing my standing or being out time is crucial.

or-

Do I really NEED to have a temp registration in order to have my car inspected? If I could just get it inspected in Tx, the bank could resubmit again for my more permanent Tx registration. What steps would you recommend taking to get all of this done? I am so lost, I have no family here and husband and I are brand new to the state!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM

594 posts, read 568,190 times
You can get your inspection anywhere they have Texas State Inspections, then get it registered. Don't forget your proof of insurance and your Texas DL- that is the only reason you may have to wait at the DPS.

Registration goes through the County Tax Offices- there are multiple locations. As long as you don't go on the last day of the month the wait is not bad.

New Residents

For locations of the Tax Offices:
Registration Renewal Locations
Harris County Branch Locations

Edited to add that I've never heard of a bank doing this for you, even with a refi. But I guess some might.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM

75 posts, read 78,909 times
need proof of insurance first - make sure the proof of insurance states that the policy meets at least the minimum liability amount required by Texas state law.

then you can get an inspection - no registration necessary - yet. County where vehicle will be parked / and ultimately registered determines whether or not emissions test will be required. Generally, Harris (county in which Houston is located) and adjacent counties require the emissions check (they are considered "smog" counties by the federal government due to Houston being such a large city.) Same goes for Dallas-Ft. Worth areas I believe. Age of vehicle will determine the type of emissions check necessary. 1995 and older vehicles will require tail-pipe emissions check. 1996 and newer vehicles require a simple computer probe.

Once you have proof of insurance and proof of passed inspection, get in touch with your local tax assessor office. Google "<county of residence> county TX tax assessor office." This will tell you where you can find the main office. Call the main office and see if there is branch office (usually in the local precinct court) closer to you. Call them ahead of time and tell them your situation and they can tell you what you need to get the vehicle registered. The county tax office can process your vehicle registration, in person. What you will need to bring with you to the tax assessor office may depend on the ownership status of your vehicle. If you own the vehicle outright and have a "clear" title, you bring that along with proof of insurance and proof of passed inspection to the local county tax office. If there is a lien on it (for example, you're still paying a note on it.), additional documents may be needed, but don't hold me to this. Your local tax assessor office can tell you what you need to get the vehicle registered given your situation.

In general the process is documented here:

New Residents

You can also call the TexasDMV 1-888-DMVGOTX (368-4689) or submit your questions online - Contact Us - Texas DMV is quite responsive and helpful.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:14 PM

594 posts, read 568,190 times
I would recommend calling over emailing. I inquired about changing my name on my title because it currently does not match my license (married name). The responder was either illiterate or a total stubborn idiot. She kept telling me to contact the DPS to change my name on my license.

After 3 email back and forth she finally sent my email to her supervisor who apologized for the "useless responses" (her words, not mine, though it made me laugh) and gave me good information.

So if you are even remotely confused, call. Otherwise you may become even more confused or, worse frustrated and confused!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:18 AM

337 posts, read 310,753 times
Here's a question from another guy that just moved to San Antonio from Louisiana... Does it do me any good to turn my Louisiana title into a Texas one, or is it fine to just keep my Louisiana title and get a Texas registration?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Here's a question from another guy that just moved to San Antonio from Louisiana... Does it do me any good to turn my Louisiana title into a Texas one, or is it fine to just keep my Louisiana title and get a Texas registration?
They'll issue you a Texas title when you register the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston