Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 13,130 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys I am currently a rising junior majoring in chemical engineering , my current GPA is 3.6. I have no idea what I should do after I graduate college. However I have been looking at some options, so please help me decide. I attend Virginia commonwealth University.

I know for sure that I definitely want to live in Houston, but are there a lot of jobs there for chemical engineers?

What is the starting salary for entry level chemical engineers in Houston?

I really want to work for an oil company, what are some of the major oil companies in Houston or anywhere else in Texas?

I don't mind heavy traveling or relocating, actually I really want to work in Saudi Arabia or somewhere else in the middle East at some point in my career?

I want to get my Masters should I go for it right after college or wait a few years? I am looking at Texas A&M!

Do you think It's too early for me to start thinking about about jobs?
I know I have to complete my internship by summer 2012 AKA my junior year!

I am basically very flexible, I have no kids, I am very driven, I work hard in school and I rarely party lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 PM

567 posts, read 1,621,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnation11 View Post
Hey Guys I am currently a rising junior majoring in chemical engineering , my current GPA is 3.6. I have no idea what I should do after I graduate college. However I have been looking at some options, so please help me decide. I attend Virginia commonwealth University.

I know for sure that I definitely want to live in Houston, but are there a lot of jobs there for chemical engineers?

What is the starting salary for entry level chemical engineers in Houston?

I really want to work for an oil company, what are some of the major oil companies in Houston or anywhere else in Texas?

I don't mind heavy traveling or relocating, actually I really want to work in Saudi Arabia or somewhere else in the middle East at some point in my career?

I want to get my Masters should I go for it right after college or wait a few years? I am looking at Texas A&M!

Do you think It's too early for me to start thinking about about jobs?
I know I have to complete my internship by summer 2012 AKA my junior year!

I am basically very flexible, I have no kids, I am very driven, I work hard in school and I rarely party lol.
Try to get an internship with one of the majors here in Houston - all are here. If you have internship and they like you, this may lead to a job in the future. Most have information online of how to apply for internship. Upstream is where the action is now, is this what you want, or do you want to go work in refinery? Good luck.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:52 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
What Oscar said...

Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 AM

958 posts, read 2,572,789 times
As for masters it has always been my opinion that you have a few years under your belt working in the real world BEFORE getting your maters. This way you have some experience and more importantly you know what area to study and focus on.

Not to mention your employer might pay for it

Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM

217 posts, read 640,127 times
Good jobs for chem e's in Freeport. You're about an hour from Houston if you live in Angleton or Lake Jackson. Lots of opportunities because you are an hour from Houston (most young folks can't handle the country living)

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM

^^Market ticker: DOW

Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM

295 posts, read 1,168,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
Try to get an internship with one of the majors here in Houston - all are here. If you have internship and they like you, this may lead to a job in the future. Most have information online of how to apply for internship. Upstream is where the action is now, is this what you want, or do you want to go work in refinery? Good luck.
i think there seems to be a disconnect when someone says upstream/downstream.

i do know is bechtel, foster wheeler, cbi, fluor, mustang, kbr are all hiring right now for downstream/onshore projects. pretty much all the major EPCs are hiring and have downstream/onshore projects.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM

567 posts, read 1,621,492 times
I remember discussions here about upstream and downstream, so let's not get into another one here.

Let me correct what I said, when I said upstream in an oil company I meant E&P - exploration and production (not talking about EPC). Original poster was asking about oil companies.

So forget my original post, and go for exploration / production internship.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM

Drill baby drill...well only if you are not an American company.

Look for SLB, DO, RIG for opportunities.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:49 PM

295 posts, read 1,168,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
I remember discussions here about upstream and downstream, so let's not get into another one here.

Let me correct what I said, when I said upstream in an oil company I meant E&P - exploration and production (not talking about EPC). Original poster was asking about oil companies.

So forget my original post, and go for exploration / production internship.

so you meant refinery plant jobs around houston when you say downstream. that's why you keep saying downstream job is dead. ok.
anyway, downstream is not dead as far as EPC is concerned. EPC got downstream projects all over the world.

to TS, just so you know, houston, aside from the supermajors, also has the biggest EPC companies (fluor, kbr, etc..) that hire thousands of engineers including process/chemical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: