Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:11 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredToMove View Post
My hubby to be and I have been talking about moving to Houston by next year. He is from Houston and all of his family is from there. I am nervous about actually going, we have two, two year olds and we are both still young. He works for Costco and is hoping to get transfered and I own a daycare (not making too much money, just cant afford to pay daycare ourselfs) I have always lived in the country and am not sure If I can become used to life indoors. Fun for me includes sitting outside with BBQ, or playing in creeks, lakes, camping, anything outdoors really. Beyond that I have medical (goverment ins.) for the kids. We cant afford the medical needs of our son. He has heart problems and right now Medical, and CCS(California Children Services) pays for his check ups and ect. I really need some infromation to put me at ease. Are there insurance assistance in Houston? What is rent like there? We are paying $850 for a 3bedroom 2bath 2car gar. And that is the lowest it comes over here. Normally for our place would be about $1200 a month. How is the job market? Are you able to get lic. for day care easily. What is the need for day care. And I have to pay for it how much will it cost. What is traffic like? Are people nice? I have only lived in a small town, and have never taken many risks in my life. I need some infromation please. How will it be for my children to grow up there?
You can live in a small town or in a rural area and be very close to Houston. Sometimes in the city limits! (ie. in Huffman on Lake Houston) It depends on where your husband's Costco is. You could even find property on or near a lake, river or beach. You definately could have a yard with a BBQ

You don't have to be licensed to watch children in your home but here's a link where you'd find out more about it:

http://http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/About_Child_Care_Licensing/ (broken link)

You can insure your children through CHIP...the state medicaid program for children. But I'm not sure what the income level is to qualify or what they cover. You'll have to look into that:

http://http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/ (broken link)

Rent is all over the place. It just depends where you decide to live. One thing I'd consider is moving close to the relative that would help the msot with the 2 year olds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 10:48 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
David1,
Could you please ennumerate the reasons you`re so hooked on So Cal?
I`m serious!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubl5005 View Post
i moved from so cal last month. i don't go outside because of the heat/humidity. i was getting paid a lot more there than here and the property taxes are higher in houston. i live in the pearland area and i hope you like religion...lots of churchy people like i've never seen. which is fine...some public schools have very strict dress codes...and if you are in a planned community they too have very strict codes...lots of paper work and hoops to jump through if you want a pool. i didn't move to sugarland because i was worried about the home invasions.pearland has a nice town center being built...should be finished next year. people are very nice though compared to orange county. not so many bmw's and designer bags here.and i have not found a great mexican place to eat either. it's all tex mex.
Hey, I am in Pearland too. While there are more Churchy folks, there is also lots of diversity. We are a mixed Jewish/Hindu family with the Hindu predominating. There is a Hindu Temple on Harkey Road (I think). My dil and her parents are planning to visit there tomorrow. Texas is in the Bible Belt, but there is lots more diversity here than in many other places in the south.

Dorothy

Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
David1,
Could you please ennumerate the reasons you`re so hooked on So Cal?
I`m serious!
How can you even ask me that? Isn't everybody? It's SoCal. It's one of few places that have been explored and immortalized in books, movies and songs. I read somewhere that LA is what most tourists think of when they think of America. Imagine sandy beaches, mountains, lakes and deserts all within driving distance from you. Imagine near perfect weather and beautiful people. Names like Beverly Hills, Malibu and Bell Air mesmerize people from around the world. It's hard to disagree with those tourists.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:28 PM

44 posts, read 133,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
How can you even ask me that? Isn't everybody? It's SoCal. It's one of few places that have been explored and immortalized in books, movies and songs. I read somewhere that LA is what most tourists think of when they think of America. Imagine sandy beaches, mountains, lakes and deserts all within driving distance from you. Imagine near perfect weather and beautiful people. Names like Beverly Hills, Malibu and Bell Air mesmerize people from around the world. It's hard to disagree with those tourists.
I was born and raised in SOCAL, and visit my mom there every year. Houston is the place to be. You need to jump on the band wagon, I did and currently live in Houston now

Old 09-03-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy44 View Post
I was born and raised in SOCAL, and visit my mom there every year. Houston is the place to be. You need to jump on the band wagon, I did and currently live in Houston now
Sure, just as soon as I get over the 4% property tax, 130 degree summer and mosquitoes.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
David1,
I understand why So Cal can be a turist destination. The majority of ppl living here are poor in spite of all of the nice things arround them.
Do you live in Beverly Hills, Malibu or Bell Aire?
Why are using movies, songs etc. as an example?
Do you live a movie`s star life style?

The only thing that we all get to enjoy is the weather...but then is weather 7 times better than Houston weather to justify paying 7 times more for the same house?....

It is in my opinion that So Cal is way, way, way....overrated...nuff said

Old 09-03-2007, 09:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Sure, just as soon as I get over the 4% property tax, 130 degree summer and mosquitoes.
SoCal heat wave strains power grid - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Enjoy

Old 09-03-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
David1,
I understand why So Cal can be a turist destination. The majority of ppl living here are poor in spite of all of the nice things arround them.
Do you live in Beverly Hills, Malibu or Bell Aire?
Why are using movies, songs etc. as an example?
Do you live a movie`s star life style?

The only thing that we all get to enjoy is the weather...but then is weather 7 times better than Houston weather to justify paying 7 times more for the same house?....

It is in my opinion that So Cal is way, way, way....overrated...nuff said

You asked me to explain why I like SoCal, and I did. I don't have to live in those places to talk about them. Folks from Houston talk about....I am trying to think here....that museum all the time as one of the attractions of Houston. Do they live there? Some folks proudly talk about those lakes with brown water in them. Do they swim in those lakes?

Old 09-04-2007, 01:03 PM

88 posts, read 301,103 times
Quote:
Is easy to disagree with them. I've been abroad countless times and conversations over this crap happened alot. Media hype. It's what they're exposed to. They actually think of New York first and then Los Angeles, the media centers of the U.S. I then tell them they are very nice places to visit but by no means sum up what the rest of America is like (between 'the coasts'). Predominantly snooty and materialistic is what they are like, I tell them, while the rest of the nation (minus Florida and Dallas) are more laid-back and real, yet still bustling. Really, I find that it is how you want to live and who you want to surround yourself with that determines where you live. The people, business environment, and food sum it up for me. Thus, I choose Houston (the Los Angeles of the 1950s-60s, today). The torch is being passed along, and sorry, it is being passed to Houston and Texas. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston