Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:56 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Lately i started to see more illegals in the horizon...here in beautiful So Cal
I think there are more illegals here than in any other state of the union...

VENI, VEDI, VICI!...now off to Houston!
And you don't think that Texas as a border state doesn't have an illegal problem?

Uh .... ok.

Another reason I could never live in Texas is that it's got a terrible reputation for nurses (I'm am RN). It's difficult to get liability insurance there, and you can't get the same coverage as other states because malpractice is a major problem there ... mostly because the patient loads are too high (California, by contrast, limits patient loads by state law).

And the hospital associations actually maintain "do not hire" lists of employees .... which is unprecedented and unheard of anywhere else. Basically they can blackball you out of a job anytime they want to for no reason ...

It's just not a good place to work if you're a nurse.

Last edited by sheri257; 09-07-2007 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 PM

88 posts, read 301,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
And you don't think that Texas as a border state doesn't have an illegal problem?

Uh .... ok.

Another reason I could never live in Texas is that it's got a terrible reputation for nurses (I'm am RN). It's difficult to get liability insurance there, and you can't get the same coverage as other states because malpractice is a major problem there ... mostly because the patient loads are too high (California, by contrast, limits patient loads by state law).

And the hospital associations actually maintain "do not hire" lists of employees .... which is unprecedented and unheard of anywhere else. Basically they can blackball you out of a job anytime they want to for no reason ...

It's just not a good place to work if you're a nurse.
"And the hospital associations actually maintain "do not hire" lists of employees .... which is unprecedented and unheard of anywhere else. Basically they can blackball you out of a job anytime they want to for no reason ...

It's just not a good place to work if you're a nurse."

Reading this, from a psuedo-psychological point of view, this sounds like a weeding out program - which is a good thing. If they are not doing this anywhere else in the nation then maybe the TMC and its affiliates are on to something. Also, it sounds like you have been burned. Were you a naughty nurse at one point in time?

Through speculation it seems that you have a narrowed down, personal/professional (more secluded) point of view compared to the broader in scope, generalized point of view that are others are sharing on this VS. thread.

The only reason I am saying anything is that I have two very close friends that are RNs. They have been in many states working as such and they have nothing but good things to say about their professions here in Texas, and specifically Houston.

This is absolutely not an attack on you. Could you please elaborate more (like personal stories) because I would like to share this topic with my friends. Thank you. Cheers!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:08 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
No ... I was not, thankfully, a nurse when I lived in Texas. I changed careers later on.

But, don't take my word for it. There numerous threads on this subject on this nurses' message board.

Group one? - allnurses.com Nursing for Nurses

If you register and do a search on Group One, you'll find many other discussions along the same lines ... mostly in the Texas forum.

As for the liability insurance issue ... just check out the insurance rates and coverage on nso.com. The premiums are higher and you can't get anywhere near the same amount of liability coverage that nurses get in other states because they pay out more malpractice claims in Texas.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:58 PM

88 posts, read 301,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
No ... I was not, thankfully, a nurse when I lived in Texas. I changed careers later on.

But, don't take my word for it. There numerous threads on this subject on this nurses' message board.

Group one? - allnurses.com Nursing for Nurses

If you register and do a search on Group One, you'll find many other discussions along the same lines ... mostly in the Texas forum.

As for the liability insurance issue ... just check out the insurance rates and coverage on nso.com. The premiums are higher and you can't get anywhere near the same amount of liability coverage that nurses get in other states because they pay out more malpractice claims in Texas.
Apart from the insurance and malpractice claims (in a way be glad you're not a MD of some sort because then you would be paying malpractice insurance out the wazzoo).

I cannot find anything on GroupOne affecting the Texas Medical Center or any of the other medical centers spread around the Houston area. They may be mostly in Texas because it was started in DFW (which is a different market altogether from Houston and the TMC; they won't have much to do with what goes on medically in Dallas because they have their own thing going on down here).

I'm going to share this with my friends though. Thanks for the reply! Cheers!

Old 10-07-2007, 05:42 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Just got back from Houston second time now and put an offer on a house in The Woodlands....Hope i`ll get it...can`t wait to move.
BTW Houston`s humidity in september is bearable....with those ridiculous affordable prices it can get even hotter for me.

Last edited by flo2900; 10-07-2007 at 06:41 PM..

Old 10-07-2007, 08:00 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Just got back from Houston second time now and put an offer on a house in The Woodlands....Hope i`ll get it...can`t wait to move.
BTW Houston`s humidity in september is bearable....with those ridiculous affordable prices it can get even hotter for me.
Is that city safe?

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:29 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Is that city safe?
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I think you just uncovered what too many people here will try to downplay or forget to mention altogether!!!

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:28 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 09:44 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
you seem to be looking for affordable housing, all of Texas does a good job of that... But like some of the posts above if you're looking for So Cal weather then I would consider central Texas or Even Western Texas. However if you want a big city life SA, Dallas, or i guess Houston would probably due. If you're an ocean fanatic then i would recommend Houston. But otherwise i would say SA mainly because its not so much in the way of tornadoes (like Dallas) or hurricanes (like Houston). El Paso, Odessa, or Amarillo might also please you if you don't mind smaller cities. If you don't care about the city size at all i would find i small city with about 10,000 people and move there homes will probably be cheapest there.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Slept last night under a blanket and without air conditioning. Could I ever do this Houston, I wonder?

Jeez, no offense, but who cares? Do you own that home with no a/c?

Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Jeez, no offense, but who cares? Do you own that home with no a/c?
I rarely have to turn the A/C on, even in the summer. I save a bundle in electricity cost every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston