Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Would You Rate This Area In General?
GREAT. A very safe & nice place to live. 0 0%
GOOD. It has a lot of good and a little bad. 1 33.33%
POOR. More bad than good. Avoid if possible. 1 33.33%
RUN AWAY NOW. Don't go there whatever you do! 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,446 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I finally decided to join this forum because I may be relocating to the Houston area due to my job.

I was wondering if anybody here could help me with two apartments that I've found online.

Apartment #1:
Wyndham
905 Cypress Station Drive, Houston, TX 77090

Apartment #2:
Canfield Lakes
13355 Northborough Drive, Houston, TX 77067

What is the crime like in this area? How about commute time to downtown Houston? Would it be pretty quick and easy straight down I45?

I'd be working in the afternoon, so, I wouldn't be concerned about 9AM rush hour traffic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
SILTEX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 07:04 AM

6 posts, read 19,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILTEX View Post
Hi,

I finally decided to join this forum because I may be relocating to the Houston area due to my job.

I was wondering if anybody here could help me with two apartments that I've found online.

Apartment #1:
Wyndham
905 Cypress Station Drive, Houston, TX 77090

Apartment #2:
Canfield Lakes
13355 Northborough Drive, Houston, TX 77067

What is the crime like in this area? How about commute time to downtown Houston? Would it be pretty quick and easy straight down I45?

I'd be working in the afternoon, so, I wouldn't be concerned about 9AM rush hour traffic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
SILTEX
Both Apertments you named are considered bad area!
If you want to go Downtown, you might want to choose another freeway instead of I-45, unless you go further north on I-45- like past 1960.

I-10 Katy area has some nice apartments and nicer area. Just as much traffic as I-45

290, another freeway near Hwy 6/1960 is a nicer area.

The Answer Girl

Old 08-12-2007, 08:11 AM

799 posts, read 3,692,818 times
I have to agree, especially northborough drive.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,385 times
Northborough is the worst. Cypress Station is the better location of the two, but still no great prize. In that area I think you do better if you go to one of the properties up on Cypresswood, just west of Kuykendahl.

I would also check out the couple of places over in front of Greenwood Forest, that flank Champions Village 3 shopping center. Again, I don't know how well they have been kept up, but that is a good area and you could walk across the street and have the grocery store, drug store, restaurants and shops right there. The best retail in the area seems to be concentrated right there at Champion Forest & 1960.

That is based on if you insist on being in that area.

If you are working downtown, you can get an affordable place close in, but typically these are older complexes that don't necessarily have washer/dryer connections. You can also get old duplexes, garage apts. and such close in for a good price too, if you can find them. Some of the older properties around Greenway Plaza, or older properties in-town such as Memorial Club, Avalon Square, Bayou Park Village, etc. might provide some options. With the recent closure of Allen House on Allen Parkway though, it has probably caused occupancies to rise at these other properties leading to limited availability and/or higher rents.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:48 AM

799 posts, read 3,692,818 times
Northborough is the worst. Cypress Station is the better location of the two, but still no great prize. In that area I think you do better if you go to one of the properties up on Cypresswood, just west of Kuykendahl.

I would also check out the couple of places over in front of Greenwood Forest, that flank Champions Village 3 shopping center. Again, I don't know how well they have been kept up, but that is a good area and you could walk across the street and have the grocery store, drug store, restaurants and shops right there. The best retail in the area seems to be concentrated right there at Champion Forest & 1960.

I would agree with this also. I live in this general area.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:17 PM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Answer Girl View Post
I-10 Katy area has some nice apartments and nicer area. Just as much traffic as I-45
The Answer Girl
Doesn't I10 from Katy to Houston have a lot of construction going on that makes driving a nightmare? Anybody know? I might look over in this area based on the answer to these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
I have to agree, especially northborough drive.
What's so bad about Northborough? You've got me curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Northborough is the worst.
That is based on if you insist on being in that area.
I don't have to be there, especially after finding this out! I just found those two that met some of my needs and they looked nice online. I knew to ask somebody who'd know because you can't go by the looks of something online.
What is up with Northborough?
----------
Thanks for that input y'all. I'm not familiar with the Houston area at all.
I just know of the "triangle" over by 59, Westpark Tollway and W Sam Houston Tollway N. I've read about that on this site and know to definitely stay away from that.

Can anybody recommend any apartments that would meet the following criteria:
*Less than 30 miles from downtown Houston
*45 minute or shorter drive
*$600 or less a month
*Has washer/dryer in unit
*Safe area
*Wal*Mart and chain brand grocery stores within a short distance

Any help would be very helpful and appreciated.
SILTEX

Old 08-12-2007, 01:37 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,385 times
Northborough is just a rough area all around. It is what it is, and it is not safe or desirable. It is a lower income area with higher crime. the problem with areas with a glut of apartments is when a couple of complexes go down, they take the rest with them. Such has been the fate of Northborough.

Katy Freeway is under construction and a traffic nightmare right now.

I think Bayou Park has stack W/D in some of the apts.

There are some newer properties north of 290 off of Tidwell/Hollister. These were still good a couple of years ago. You might check that area although I don't know how it is fairing as of late.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:44 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,312 times
That's a HUGE bad area! You will be better off living close to downtown. It's got a lively entertainment, convenience, and drama in life. You'll find plenty of $600 apartments or lofts in and around downtown. However, you might want to up it to about $1,000 for a nice one. Maybe that'll impress your dates but you are going to have to forget about WalMart.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Northborough is just a rough area all around. It is what it is, and it is not safe or desirable. It is a lower income area with higher crime. the problem with areas with a glut of apartments is when a couple of complexes go down, they take the rest with them. Such has been the fate of Northborough.

Katy Freeway is under construction and a traffic nightmare right now.

I think Bayou Park has stack W/D in some of the apts.

There are some newer properties north of 290 off of Tidwell/Hollister. These were still good a couple of years ago. You might check that area although I don't know how it is fairing as of late.
Thanks for explaining what's so bad about Northborough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
That's a HUGE bad area! You will be better off living close to downtown. It's got a lively entertainment, convenience, and drama in life. You'll find plenty of $600 apartments or lofts in and around downtown. However, you might want to up it to about $1,000 for a nice one. Maybe that'll impress your dates but you are going to have to forget about WalMart.
I'll have to search for that. I really wanted something more "rural". I'm just wondering if that is an oxymoron when talking about the Houston area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: