Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:32 AM

410 posts, read 1,676,142 times

Advertisements

This is disguisting but I want to get the word out.
I like to shop at a particular store that I feel has fresh veggies and fruit.
This a.m. I went in and it was somewhat crowded so I took my time looking at the fruit. I observed the following: One of the workers who unloads the fruit was putting his hands all over the pieces. Touching all of them. He then stood back, took out a plastic sack with some kind of snack in it and ate it hand to mouth. He did this several times, put the sack back in his pocket then proceed to handle the fruit again. I ran for the manager who did not seem overly concerned. I said you do know that is a health code violation. The response Oh, yes I know that. I told her I will never walk into that store again. I called a newsreporter , no call back and I am submitting a complaint to the health dept. I will now have to change where I shop for fruit.
...and then people wonder why we have all these diseases making their way back when we thought they were eradciated decades ago.

Anyone have other ideas who to call?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:43 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Umm do you not think that when you buy fruit that someone might have touched it? Just wash it before you eat it. That or move into a plastic bubble.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:14 PM

190 posts, read 575,117 times
Seriously. Wash the fruits and veggies before you eat them. Besides, do you really think that's the worst any of the fruits and veggies come in contact with at other stores? I'd be more concerned about people with colds coming in and picking out veggies and fruits. Still...wash the fruits and veggies before you eat. Always a good rule of thumb.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Don't be a fool. Who doesn't wash fruits and veg. before they eat it?
I suppose you would buy it when you saw him put his hand to his mouth, eat his snack and touch it again. Maybe in your world that is ok.
I see workers handle food all the time and never thought twice about it.
This was something quite different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Umm do you not think that when you buy fruit that someone might have touched it? Just wash it before you eat it. That or move into a plastic bubble.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Get out of the city, build a farm, grow and harvest your own crops if you don't want anyone else touching them before they get to you.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:39 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,992 times
One thing to think about is even if the workers wore latex gloves, they drop the fruit and pick it back up. Same thing when they put it on display for purchase...everybody and their daddy is picking it up and pinching it and dropping it and then putting it back in the display. People think I am crazy because I wash my meat before I cook it. I was raised to do that and I do it because I don't know where that meat has been, if it fell on the floor or if the butcher sneezed on it or touched it. Just wash it all off before you eat it or cook it.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Another intelligent answer.
Seems like all the normal people I talked to seemed repulsed, you people seem to think it is ok. The news station I spoke to thought it disguisting. Having witnessed that, all you farmers answering, I am sure you would give it to your kids, after you washed it of course. No matter the same hand that he was eating out... oh well, I am sure people who have sense and care about their well being will take heed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Get out of the city, build a farm, grow and harvest your own crops if you don't want anyone else touching them before they get to you.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:01 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed1 View Post
Don't be a fool. Who doesn't wash fruits and veg. before they eat it?
I suppose you would buy it when you saw him put his hand to his mouth, eat his snack and touch it again.
That's HUGE bad! I think a psychologist can be a big help. Ohh no! A fly got on my food, what am I gonna do? Maybe the Department of Health can do something to eradicate this. But seriously, do you want to shut down the entire store just for this? Notifying the store manager should be sufficient.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:02 PM

74 posts, read 447,899 times
If this is the most upsetting thing going on in your life that you need to complain about then consider yourself lucky.

Most of us wash our fruit & vegetables before we eat them anyways. There is even a product available specifically for washing produce.

I agree with jfre81...grow your own.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:38 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed1 View Post
Another intelligent answer.
Seems like all the normal people I talked to seemed repulsed, you people seem to think it is ok. The news station I spoke to thought it disguisting. Having witnessed that, all you farmers answering, I am sure you would give it to your kids, after you washed it of course. No matter the same hand that he was eating out... oh well, I am sure people who have sense and care about their well being will take heed.
Most likely people you told this too in person were being polite by agreeing with you that it was shocking but this being the internet people can just say what they really think which is: Get Over It.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: