Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 PM

42 posts, read 123,352 times

Advertisements

I've heard a few times that it is possible to buy your way through a Kinkaid's admission but not through St John. What does it mean? Is not it illegal to do that? I know you can make legal donations but still....Also, just wondering how much of donation will need one to make in order for their child to get in? Also, do you know if the first grade is a primary point to get into these two schools considering that you do not have any affiliations or donations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_knife View Post
I've heard a few times that it is possible to buy your way through a Kinkaid's admission but not through St John. What does it mean? Is not it illegal to do that? I know you can make legal donations but still....Also, just wondering how much of donation will need one to make in order for their child to get in? Also, do you know if the first grade is a primary point to get into these two schools considering that you do not have any affiliations or donations?

It's not the 80's anymore. You can't buy your way into anywhere.You know how many people are loaded in those areas, that want into private, and can write more than just one big endowment check? The schools are lucky these days, 20+ kids applying per each available slot. All of various academic and athletic talent to chose from to make their schools look fantastic.

That said,some schools do save half of the opening slots for Legacies.Legacy is better than a check these days. But for the non-leg spots, if your child is a standout in a category the school finds desireable that year, they will be accepted.

Pre-k and K are the best admission points. First grade is already too late. Next entry is 6th, and then 9th.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 07-31-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 PM

739 posts, read 2,135,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
It's not the 80's anymore. You can't buy your way into anywhere.You know how many people are loaded in those areas, that want into private, and can write more than just one big endowment check? The schools are lucky these days, 20+ kids applying per each available slot. All of various academic and athletic talent to chose from to make their schools look fantastic.

That said,some schools do save half of the opening slots for Legacies.Legacy is better than a check these days. But for the non-leg spots, if your child is a standout in a category the school finds desireable that year, they will be accepted.

Pre-k and K are the best admission points. First grade is already too late. Next entry is 6th, and then 9th.
I can confirm EasilyAmused posting. My daughter is not a legacy but was accepted into SJS in 9th grade. She applied in 6th grade and was not accepted. She is a strong academic student (1540 on SAT at age 10); plays multiple sports (basketball, volleyball, golf); musically inclined (plays saxophone and percussions) and acts (just completed a role in The Taming of the Shrew). You may think she is an exceptional student but she is not when mixed with her classmates at SJS.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 AM

42 posts, read 123,352 times
Default so did your daughter have a life outside of school?

just wondering.....all these activities take time, practice, patience. How did she do it all? Was she super busy. I know that she must have enjoyed these activities. Otherwise, she would not survive. BUT did she have time to have plain old childhood fun? Since she spend so much time on these activities, do you think you missed on important time with her. While my mind wants me to sign up my K boy to every activity possible out there, my heart is a little (well, a LOT actually) hesitant to do this. But at the same time I would love for my kid to get into the SJ or Kinkaid program as I am worried he will be simply bored in the regular classroom. He is just entering K but already reads chapter books (in two languages) and does multiplication.
So if possible please share your trick of balancing so many activities at once! I am especially interested in learning about your music classes. In sports, you do not have to practice nearly as much. However, music practice is not nearly as fun and takes lots and lots of patience....Put on top of this regular school day from 8-3 and no time for kid to be kid...really

Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
He said his daughter plays multiple sports and that's fairly common with athletic kids. His child is in middle school, so she's probably playing on teams seasonally. I don't think he meant his daughter participates in all of these activities at once.

I understand you're worried about overloading your son so let him be your guide. If he wants to try out for lots of teams, clubs, and musicals, let him go for it.

Even if he's academically advanced in Kindergarten, you can't really mold him into a "super kid". These kind of kids are born prewired - born singing opera with a tiny football under their arm and Harvard has them on their "watch list" before they get their first bath.

SJS & Kinkaid are wonderful schools. Do they have openings for K now, I thought all of our better privates filled up last spring?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Yes, people apply the October before the grade desired.

As to sports and extras, most are played during a season, not at the same time. And really for everything else, if you block texting, limit email and limit video games,cell phone use, allow TV weekend night only...there's PLENTY of time to do everything. And the type "A" kids will schedule it out themselves as they get older.

I'd say electonics rob kids of childhood more than sports and music lessons.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:

Well said, very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdouglas View Post
I can confirm EasilyAmused posting. My daughter is not a legacy but was accepted into SJS in 9th grade. She applied in 6th grade and was not accepted. She is a strong academic student (1540 on SAT at age 10); plays multiple sports (basketball, volleyball, golf); musically inclined (plays saxophone and percussions) and acts (just completed a role in The Taming of the Shrew). You may think she is an exceptional student but she is not when mixed with her classmates at SJS.
+1.

Both our kids graduated AOS, and then applied to SJS for 9th (and made it).

The acceptance rate for SJS is 12%. Kinkaid is 20%. With applications like they are, even good desirable kids can be overlooked.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,614 times
Does anyone know what their admission test for Kindergarten look like? What factors (besides legacy and money) will get you in?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM

739 posts, read 2,135,074 times
Quote:
Yes, people apply the October before the grade desired.

As to sports and extras, most are played during a season, not at the same time. And really for everything else, if you block texting, limit email and limit video games,cell phone use, allow TV weekend night only...there's PLENTY of time to do everything. And the type "A" kids will schedule it out themselves as they get older.

I'd say electonics rob kids of childhood more than sports and music lessons.
If you only knew. My husband and I both are not athletes and really do not care for sports. My daughter wanted to do this. She was in middle school at the time and sports were seasonal, so basically she was involved really never involved in more than one sport at the time. During the summer, she did not participate in AAU but wanted to do acting. Next summer she wants to travel and do missionary work.

In high school, she focused on one sport, basketball. However, she managed the girl's softball team and has already contacted the coach about managing the varsity volleyball team in a couple of weeks when school opens. You be surprised what happens when you take the tv out of the kid's room, limit the computer and phone.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 AM

21 posts, read 167,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_knife View Post
Kinder is the primary point to get in to SJS at this stage of your child. Legacies come first. Most of the non legacies get in for 1st grade and they total about 20-22 children for that spot. Either your child is legacy for the class one spot or extremely bright is the only way to be one of the 22 children. You'll be amazed at how bright these 22 kids are. They are geniuses.

My kids are busier than I am. Balance their activities without robbing them off their childhood. An occasional play date with friends keeps them happy, In SJS they need to choose to play one string instrument by 5th grade. So most kids start off early. Activities need not be too much! Poor kid! Find a particular sport he'll be good at and concentrate on that example, tennis? Do other sports on the side on a few summer camps to keep him well rounded and knowledgable about other sports like basketball, soccer, baseball. Swimming is a staple on most activities. It's more of survival rather than skill! Unless you want to let your kid drown or be left out on those numerous swim parties in Houston.

Lastly, they also consider application DATE for your child to be considered for testing. There's a loooooong waiting line so unless you submitted your application the date he/she was born.... Errr... Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston