Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,245,070 times

Advertisements

Daily Review....upscale comfort food
This is it...soul food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 AM

563 posts, read 905,379 times
I honestly don't know how many people know about this restaurant but I've been eating there for some time. It was a NASA tradition to eat here before a launch.

The place is called Frenchie's and has really good homemade Italian food. I love the lasagna among other things.

It's in a shopping center and is very small and easy to miss so be careful.

Frenchie's Italian Cuisine - NASA/Clear Lake - Houston | Urbanspoon

Old 07-31-2011, 12:40 PM

789 posts, read 1,518,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I honestly don't know how many people know about this restaurant but I've been eating there for some time. It was a NASA tradition to eat here before a launch.

The place is called Frenchie's and has really good homemade Italian food. I love the lasagna among other things.

It's in a shopping center and is very small and easy to miss so be careful.

Frenchie's Italian Cuisine - NASA/Clear Lake - Houston | Urbanspoon
I heard about this restaurant during the last space shuttle launch. A reporter was talking to the owner about how many people from NASA eats there. He was a old French guy, and he look pretty sad.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:45 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Taqueria Cancun , Gessner & Kempwood. I love that place, true hole in the wall...

How diverse are you? There are many nationalities in Houston so the list is about to get bigger if you're really open minded
Gessner north of I-10 to about Clayish is one of the best spots for hole in the wall type restaurants in all of Houston.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:13 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
Okay about my other post. Don't go to El Club Restaurant. I looked it up a little more, and there are all kinds of bad things happening there.
That's a shame, best service I've ever got

Old 07-31-2011, 04:24 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,760,052 times
This place (Taqueria Cancun) is a historical mark in Houston....at least for me Once I had a group of good friends visiting from Europe (French, Swiss, German, Russian) and after a long night of partying that's the place I took them to, sometime in the morning with a terrible hungover They LOVE it... The best part now, my buddy from France, every time he is in town and drives from the airport, he makes his driver stop by this place and gets his favorite fajita enchilada. It cracks me up....10 years later and he still does the same thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Gessner north of I-10 to about Clayish is one of the best spots for hole in the wall type restaurants in all of Houston.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:23 PM

3,551 posts, read 3,013,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post

Don't want to get this thread off topic, so if anyone can direct me to a Mexican restaurant that serves real Mexican food, I would be very happy.
Try La Guadalupana on Dunlavy and Indiana Streets in Montrose. It is in a small strip center next to a Laundry and a convenience store.

La Guadalupana Bakery

Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
This place (Taqueria Cancun) is a historical mark in Houston....at least for me Once I had a group of good friends visiting from Europe (French, Swiss, German, Russian) and after a long night of partying that's the place I took them to, sometime in the morning with a terrible hungover They LOVE it... The best part now, my buddy from France, every time he is in town and drives from the airport, he makes his driver stop by this place and gets his favorite fajita enchilada. It cracks me up....10 years later and he still does the same thing....
All I know is if you get to the adult bookstore on Gessner, you have gone too far north. Also, I don't recommend eating at the adult bookstore, unless you really like crabs.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:19 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,760,052 times
Is ok Spring Branch is almost like Jaurez... I speak enough spanish to get around.....and know enough the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
All I know is if you get to the adult bookstore on Gessner, you have gone too far north. Also, I don't recommend eating at the adult bookstore, unless you really like crabs.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
A few days ago I ate at "La fogata Colombian restaurant" in SW Houston close to Sugar Land.

I went there for lunch and had the "Bandeja paisa" for $7 (they actually had it with a different name.
It wasn't a lot, but it was delicious.

There's rice under the egg and the one I got came with some avocado.

http://www.donjulios.net/images/bandeja-paisa.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston