Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:24 AM

404 posts, read 1,031,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I agree. Could you imagine the top tier public schools doing this? (i.e. U.C. Berkely, North Carolina, Virgnia etc.)
Yeah, I was absolutely amazed at this idiotic "top percentage are automatically admitted" thing when I first heard about it.

The sad part is that U.T., while not as highly regarded as some of the universities you've mentioned, is still quite a good school compared to many other universities in the area and as such should be attracting the brightest students it can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 05:51 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
the ONLY reason the university exists is as an institution of higher education. its job is not ANYTHING else. the only reason i went there was to get an education in my degree of choice. when i realized that was complete bs, i stopped caring and just wanted the degree. the only thing a university is good for is that g*d damned piece of paper, and it pleases me to no end to watch these institutions starve out. maybe this economy will be good for something after all ...
You may not appreciate a university education now but you will eventually. What you learn at university isn't necessarily important. A good university teaches you how to think and how to learn and how to apply what you've learned. That is what seperates degree holders from non-degree holders and that is why they get paid more.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:40 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
What that meant was that I was not automatically admitted into UT Austin, while some hillbilly from Nowhere,Texas .

While you might have had better scores and SATs than those that you call Hillbillies...I think you are way off base thinking they are not intelligent or are inferior to you, going soley on their regionally affected speech pattern.You ranted more about written grammar, but I've seen that from your top Houston grads as well.A symptom of a texting society.

As to your hillbilly comment..Reading the local paper where my ranch is, a very small town with less than 5500 population, the top 10% were making very high SAT and ACT scores, right in line with those in the top Houston public schools.

Listed were their SAT/ACT scores, GPAs, first college of choice and if they were accepted, and then the college they chose. While the top 8-10% were "automatically accepted" by Texas law, most went on to other out-of-state universites,and many went to local community colleges due to finances.Heck, one out of the tiny class got an Ivy League scholarship. Doesn't seem that growing up in the city or the country, nor the local accent, affects true intelligence a bit.

Where I think the system is more unfair, is that the universities end up with a polarized student body. They lose all the creatives and entrepreneur type personalties from the larger metro areas by being forced to accept only the academic machines..

Anyway, getting off my soapbox now. As a native Houstonian and Texan, it still hacks me off eveytime someone uses region of birth, or a country or southern accent, as a determination of intelligence.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 08-05-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
My UT Austin daughter, like Lyndon Johnson, was intimidated by folks from Ivy League and Seven Sisters schools. Until she lived and worked among them all day, every day. That is when she decided any UT Austin graduate could hold their own with all of them.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i hope this thread doesnt turn into "college isnt worth it". it most definitely is. a university is there, in part, to expose young adults to different things they may not have known about/heard about before
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
like what? feminism? i promise anything that the "university life" exposes anyone to is something that is either best not experienced, or can be had anyway.

there is no reason i need to be exposed to the clown (who doesnt even go there) wearing the cat-in-the-hat hat in the walkway of the park i cut through to get to class, because he is just trying to meet girls by being their dealer.

there is no reason i have to pay hard earned money to be seen as a second class citizen by "campus culture" because i am a boy.

there is no reason i have to play the bs game with registration for an array of classes that serve only keep me from paying full attention in the classes i desire for the degree i chose.

there is no reason i have to take 6 classes at once when i am trying to master the material of one area of study for the first time.

and there is no way that subjecting a student to the visciousness of truth or consequences when learning material for the first time, can be called any form of education. its called fraud, and only a fool would expect anything else out of an institution that has its campus designed by prison industrial contractors.

as for friends, i make those all the time. as for partying, i party harder now anyway. as for girls, girls dont care for broke-ass bustas. as for hobbys, i never needed a university for that. and as for socializing/street smarts, you better come to university with that already fully developed or its gonna be a bumpy, bumpy ride.

maybe i could see your point for the drug dealer who doesnt take any classes. oh yeah, you'd be on top of the world if thats the case. other than that, "university life" is a waste of a student's time, and most likely their parent's money.

the ONLY reason the university exists is as an institution of higher education. its job is not ANYTHING else. the only reason i went there was to get an education in my degree of choice. when i realized that was complete bs, i stopped caring and just wanted the degree. the only thing a university is good for is that g*d damned piece of paper, and it pleases me to no end to watch these institutions starve out. maybe this economy will be good for something after all ...

Apparently neither of you guys learned how to capitalize or punctuate properly in your university educations that you love and hate.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM

543 posts, read 1,387,025 times
Originally Posted by crone
I would forget that top 10% rule and get me to a state that has little or no tuition for in state kids.

Which state(s) that has little or no tuition for in state kids? Do they exist?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM

81 posts, read 128,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Apparently neither of you guys learned how to capitalize or punctuate properly in your university educations that you love and hate.

ok, that was funny!! +1

Old 08-05-2011, 08:47 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
Yeah, I was absolutely amazed at this idiotic "top percentage are automatically admitted" thing when I first heard about it.

The sad part is that U.T., while not as highly regarded as some of the universities you've mentioned, is still quite a good school compared to many other universities in the area and as such should be attracting the brightest students it can.
Admitted doesn't mean that the kids don't flunk out after Freshman year, though.

University of South Florida where I taught for a year or so had to admit anyone who passed with Cs in any high school in the state. Mostly, they flunked out quickly if they were not willing to work hard.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:01 AM

81 posts, read 128,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
You may not appreciate a university education now but you will eventually. What you learn at university isn't necessarily important. A good university teaches you how to think and how to learn and how to apply what you've learned. That is what seperates degree holders from non-degree holders and that is why they get paid more.

although we disagree, i appreciate the wisdom and civility with which you present your dissenting opinion.

i dont know how long its going to take for me to fall in love with my college memories. its been 15 yrs since i graduated, and i'm still not there.

i am still of the persuasion that university does not develop any of which you mention. everything you mentioned has to be in place before arriving to university or the student is in for a baaaad trip.

really, the k-12 experience is supposed to institutionalize the kids beforehand. thats why high school diplomas and/or equivalents are required before entering university.

everything you mentioned is far, far better learned while working in a family owned business or something of the like, and even if college classes could teach you those things (which they cant), it would be just one class, and not four years of full-docket bs. for what you mentioned, you train yourself in that manner, not college ... and not even the jobplace for that matter.

going to college is the equivalent of reading a book to learn karate. try taking that into the real world even what you think you may have gotten out of it; you really didnt

but we can agree to disagree, and let's just leave it at that.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
While you might have had better scores and SATs than those that you call Hillbillies...I think you are way off base thinking they are not intelligent or are inferior to you, going soley on their regionally affected speech pattern.You ranted more about written grammar, but I've seen that from your top Houston grads as well.A symptom of a texting society.

As to your hillbilly comment..Reading the local paper where my ranch is, a very small town with less than 5500 population, the top 10% were making very high SAT and ACT scores, right in line with those in the top Houston public schools.

Listed were their SAT/ACT scores, GPAs, first college of choice and if they were accepted, and then the college they chose. While the top 8-10% were "automatically accepted" by Texas law, most went on to other out-of-state universites,and many went to local community colleges due to finances.Heck, one out of the tiny class got an Ivy League scholarship. Doesn't seem that growing up in the city or the country, nor the local accent, affects true intelligence a bit.

Where I think the system is more unfair, is that the universities end up with a polarized student body. They lose all the creatives and entrepreneur type personalties from the larger metro areas by being forced to accept only the academic machines..

Anyway, getting off my soapbox now. As a native Houstonian and Texan, it still hacks me off eveytime someone uses region of birth, or a country or southern accent, as a determination of intelligence.
I'm certainly not saying that everyone from small towns is unintelligent. However, on average, SAT scores (which I don't like to discuss since it's a flawed test) are lower in regions outside of large cities and their surrounding areas. That happens to be the case in Texas, California, wherever it may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston