Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:54 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times

Advertisements

Since your child is 7, you have wiggle room. Why not rent for 6 months or a year until you get your bearings? Medical center people live all over the greater Houston area, even Champions.
You could go to the Woodlands. He could take one of those many busses in. The might even have one that goes to TMC. He could transfer to the light rail at the college and get on down main street to TMC.
Pay absolutely no attention to relo people. They get people in the wrong place all the time.
You will hear that old joke if you see my momma, don't tell her I'm working in the oil business, she still thinks I'm the piano player in a who-e house. I would not want to live around oil trash either, but in Houston, there is no escape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 08:20 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
There is a big difference between 1.5 hours on a train and 1.5 hours driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM

687 posts, read 2,127,745 times
I have a 15 minute commute to the TMC every day. There are lots of TMC people in my neighborhood. I can't say that their presence has made a difference in my quality of life one way or another, since I don't have time to socialize with them anyway.

Now if my neighbors were all lawyers, that would significantly impact my quality of life

Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Talking lawyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
I have a 15 minute commute to the TMC every day. There are lots of TMC people in my neighborhood. I can't say that their presence has made a difference in my quality of life one way or another, since I don't have time to socialize with them anyway.

Now if my neighbors were all lawyers, that would significantly impact my quality of life
Ditto on the lawyers. That would be really oppressive.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Ignore the relocation people. They are suppose to veer you in one direction. People tell them one thing and that's what they go on.

Houston is a huge city. Honestly, it's a commute city to the extreme. You have to drive nearly everywhere.

The fact that your husband likes to live far from work and doesn't mind a 1.5 hour commute is a good thing.

Ignore the people and look around the city and choose where YOU guys fit.

My parents have worked in the medical center for over 25 years and we've always lived either in Spring or right outside. FM 1960/Cypress Creek Parkway to FM 2920 and life has been just fine.

Inside the loop isn't our thing. Not there's and not mine either. I hate the architecture of the houses down there (especially that Victorian look of the Heights) and I don't like living in a house older than the 1990s.

You have such a wide range of places to live. Cinco isn't just yuppie 30 year old parents running around with 5 year old kids. People in every industry start families at all different ages. There's plenty of older parents everywhere.

Research on your own and pick somewhere you'd like to live and go.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
I don't know why the relo people are steering you - but insist on looking in Cinco, also.

There are older parts of Cinco that does have mature trees.

I have lived next door to my neighbors on each side for about 3 years. Although we are all very friendly and talk - I have no idea what they do, as to employment - it has never come up.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 PM

90 posts, read 130,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
There is a big difference between 1.5 hours on a train and 1.5 hours driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

exactly.

I would honestly go with Pearland because its the nearest suburb and it has good schools. But you will be sacrificing your fun in the process. I cant imagine EVER living in the suburbs.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw4life View Post
exactly.

I would honestly go with Pearland because its the nearest suburb and it has good schools. But you will be sacrificing your fun in the process. I cant imagine EVER living in the suburbs.
Just because *you* think the suburbs don't have fun things to do, doesn't mean that everyone believes that. I love Pearland and can find plenty of things to do.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:45 PM

90 posts, read 130,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Just because *you* think the suburbs don't have fun things to do, doesn't mean that everyone believes that. I love Pearland and can find plenty of things to do.
Like what? Eat at TGI Fridays? Aside from some crappy restaurants and bars, there is literally NOTHING to do in Pearland.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw4life View Post
Like what? Eat at TGI Fridays? Aside from some crappy restaurants and bars, there is literally NOTHING to do in Pearland.
Let's see.

I like to bowl - there is a bowling alley
I like golf - there are two nice golf courses.
I like the pitch, putt and play.
I like to swim - the Natatorium is really nice for that
I work out - there are several good places here
I like movies - Cinemark has a good selection
I like children's theater - there are two good possibilities in Pearland for this now
I like books and reading - there is only one library, but we are working towards getting a second one on the west side
I like biking - there are new bike paths coming in in many locations around town.
There are lots of nice parks for hanging out in and picnicking.
The parks and recreation department offers classes for adults and kids in many different skills including photography, various crafts, self-defense, karate, country-western dance.
There are men's and women's leagues for volleyball, softball, and kickball. There is a men's basketball league too.
There are also all kinds of activities for seniors (50+)
Summerfest at the Westside Event Center was quite well attended by people who live in Pearland and outside of Pearland.
Alvin Community college is also available for college classes.
The new campus of UCHL is also good if you want to pursue different classes.
I anticipate that campus having more community events once they get going.

Since we have children to take around - we do Jumpin Jungle, the splash pads, the neighborhood pools.

Not many bars, I agree, but that's not something I care about.
There are more decent restaurants coming in all the time. They are limited, but they are there if you know where to look.

Thai Spice came in recently.
Swadeshi groceries came in recently (Indian fast food for take out is available there)
Cafe Taraiz (wonderful homemade mediterranean food) came in recently.
Of course, you also have Killean's for steak.

The fact that you can't find anything to do says more about you than about the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston