Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:08 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,257 times

Advertisements

So... I am feeling much better the past couple of days. Looking out the window, I notice this hummer was staying around the feeder for quite awhile. I decided to snap some photos. I quickly grabbed my camera with whatever lens was attached, a 50mm f/1.8, and headed outdoor.

I've read an article from a photographer that it is best to use flash when taking photos of hummers because they are so little and so quick. I didn't have enough time to pull out the external flash so I used the built-in pop-up flash and gave it a try. So here are the result photos. All I did to these photos is cropped them for a better close up look and resized for posting.

So you could see the difference, the first photo was taken without flash. The rest, the pop-up flash was used. Oh, and no tripod/monopod was used, didn't have enough time to set one up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0410-Fall 2011 Hummer (800x534).jpg
Views:	526
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	84357

This hummer actually allowed me to get very close, about 3 feet away from the feeder. Once in awhile, we were inturrepted by another hummer. This one hurridly chased the other one away. That was why this hummer was staying around the feeder. She was guarding her food!
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbirds are Back-0424-fall-2011-hummer-800x534-.jpg   Hummingbirds are Back-0418-fall-2011-hummer-800x517-.jpg   Hummingbirds are Back-0420-fall-2011-hummer-800x534-.jpg  

Last edited by NTT; 09-01-2011 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 05:15 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
Excellent! An f1.8 is plenty fast without a flash. Nice little hen there!

I love hummers. We have 'em fightin' over our feeders now.

Ronnie

Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 PM
NTT

Thanks Ronnie. It's been too hot so I placed the feeder in the shade by the carport. It was a bit dark at 7 pm. The flash helped to see the hummer a bit better. You're right, an f/1.8 should have been quick enough.

I tried to keep the hummers from fighting over 1 feeder; so, I put out 2. It didn't work, not so far anyway. For some reason they just don't like to feed on the other one. They know it's there, I've seen the hummer check it out but came right back to this one. It's strange.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:15 PM
NTT

**** Update question ****

Has anyone seen hummers since the strong wind we had a few days ago?

I have not seen my hummers around the feeders since that very strong wind that cut the power off during this past weekend. The nectar level in the feeder is still the same. I'm wondering whether the wind had blown these little creatures away. I hope it didn't killed them .

Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
**** Update question ****

Has anyone seen hummers since the strong wind we had a few days ago?

I have not seen my hummers around the feeders since that very strong wind that cut the power off during this past weekend. The nectar level in the feeder is still the same. I'm wondering whether the wind had blown these little creatures away. I hope it didn't killed them .
I've had three to five fighting over mine since Sunday afternoon. They were scarce there for a bit.

Ronnie

Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 PM
NTT

Ronnie, thanks.

I refilled and relocated one of the feeder yesterday. Today, I had a surprise visit. As I checked out the hummer feeders through the window, I caught sight of a beautiful and colorful bird tried to get the nectar from the feeder.

The bird was bright orange with black head and black wings with white stripes. I hurridly grabbed my point-n-shoot and snapped a photo through the window. My quick reaction scared him and he quickly flew away as the photo was taken. You guessed it, the photo was blurred. However, the photo was good enough for me to ID the bird. I believe it's a Baltimore Oriole. This is only my 2nd time seeing this bird in my 30+ years living in Houston. Take a look at the blurry photo. I hope he'll come back. I'll be sitting outside and wait for it with my better gears. Hopefully, the next photo will be more clear.

Btw, I later saw my hummers. They came back . I'm glad to see they survived the heavy wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbirds are Back-hpim3755-baltimore-oriole-800x601-.jpg  

Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Way cool! Haven't seen an oriole like that since I left Michigan.

Ronnie

Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 PM

10 posts, read 10,863 times
Hi NTT...glad to hear that you're feeling better, those are some really cool pictures.

Hi Ronnie...so the Baltimore Orioles moved to Houston and the Baltimore Colts moved to Indiana...wonder what that says for Baltimore...lol...

Old 09-13-2011, 06:16 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,752 times
NTT
I saw the same type of bird on my feeder a few days ago. It was in the shade and I thought it was a Robin at first until it flew off and I saw the orange back and black wings with white stripes. It hasn't returned unfortunately.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
NTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydr47 View Post
Hi NTT...glad to hear that you're feeling better, those are some really cool pictures.

Hi Ronnie...so the Baltimore Orioles moved to Houston and the Baltimore Colts moved to Indiana...wonder what that says for Baltimore...lol...
LOL.... That's a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
NTT
I saw the same type of bird on my feeder a few days ago. It was in the shade and I thought it was a Robin at first until it flew off and I saw the orange back and black wings with white stripes. It hasn't returned unfortunately.
Wasn't that a beautiful bird? Glad you saw one too. I haven't seen that one returned neither.

But now, I have 4 hummers fighting over 2 feeders. One is taken over by a female and the other by its mate (I think), a beautiful Ruby Throaded male. When these 2 are at the feeders, they do not chase each others off. It makes me think that they're a couple .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston