Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2006, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 14,748 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I have recently moved to Houston. I am thinking to buy a house in Copper Lakes community which close to Hwy 6 and 290 that comes under Cy-Fair ISD.

I have 2 kids. I have check the schools and the ratings are good. I am in consulting world and travel most of the times.

Can you please suggest is this place better to raise the kids? How is the crime rate?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,

pkola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 16,400 times
PLEASE be very careful which school i had to home school my son because the public schools are not what they claim and we are in cy-fair not WORTH the TAX'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkola View Post
Hello:

I have recently moved to Houston. I am thinking to buy a house in Copper Lakes community which close to Hwy 6 and 290 that comes under Cy-Fair ISD.

I have 2 kids. I have check the schools and the ratings are good. I am in consulting world and travel most of the times.

Can you please suggest is this place better to raise the kids? How is the crime rate?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,

pkola

Old 12-03-2006, 10:14 PM

45 posts, read 278,341 times
Default Cy Fair

I too live in Cypress Fairbanks, yes the district does have good ratings, but don't be fooled. If your falls behind, or struggles-sure they offer the tutoring, etc. Problem is they don't tudor what the child is struggling with. Also the number of students that make it is much greater than the child that does not. The child that struggles is just a statistic. If you want to have your child tested well the district has 60 days, and they wait the full 60 days, then the school may ask you to try modifications, you try that for 30 days if it is not working, well you have to schedule another meeting, more time, before you know it another year gone by. WAY OVER RATED. Taxes are extremely high (school). The district in my opinion is a showboat, you oughta see our athletic stadium.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:27 PM

1,334 posts, read 6,420,206 times
There are excellent parts of the district and average parts of the District. It has a very good reputation overall, mostly in part due to the original areas that filled out the district. Rapid growth (now some 675,000 residents within CFISD) has led to some of the newer parts of the district and in the areas with higher minority concentrations not turning in as good of numbers as they're used to in CFISD despite having superb facilities and good teachers. Still they're better than most districts. They're also building new schools at a rapid pace to keep up with the exploding growth.

It's a great school district with relatively high standards for such a large operation (third largest ISD in Texas) 8 High Schools with 2 more opening in 2008.

I'll suggest that you look beyond the school district and choose by high school feeder system to ensure the best schools. That goes with ANY ISD in the Houston area, as there are good and bad in every one.

There are 3 HS zones (4 with the opening of Ranch in 2008) that I would consider bulletproof choices K-12.
There are 3 HS zones that I would consider good choices though you may want to do research on the particular feeders.
There are 2 HS zones that I likely wouldn't send my kids to, though some of the feeders are still excellent.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 12-03-2006 at 10:44 PM..

Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 132,381 times
In our research on crime throughout the Houston metro area (including suburbs), we have found that the area West/NW (particularly off Hwy. 6) had higher crime statistics than other areas. My guess is that it's easier to committ a crime when there is easier access to a busy highway like Hwy. 6. We were looking at a Community right off the highway as well and decided against it b/c of this fact. In addition to getting the stats, I called the HOA and after much probing (on my part) was told about a couple of home invasions in the community. Although this was down played, it was all I needed to hear to keep the search moving! Google Houston Crime statistics by district, contact the local HOA for the neighborhood your'e interested in, and contact the local police department for more information about a particualar neighborhood. Although I found the police dept. to be less helpful...we were able to get hints from a very talkative clerk with a heavy texas accent about one neighborhood.

Good luck,

Old 12-04-2006, 01:32 PM

45 posts, read 278,341 times
Default CyFair

Not only is hwy 6 easy access for the criminals, it is just awful on the weekends. You pull out of your driveway and immediately into the traffic jams. Champions North is a real nice SAFE community, the police definately let their presence known there. Also older but nice subdivisions are Norchester which is safe, and Lakewood. Champions homeowners is pretty high, Norchester is able to keep the costs low because it is an older subdivision. I am not sure about Lakewood. The above subdivisions are all zoned to Cypress Creek which was rated acceptable. If you are looking for CyFair outstanding school ratings your best bet is to look further out 290 Cypress Woods, Cypress ranch (will open soon). Cy Fair High is good as well.
I am not sure why Cypress Creek is only acceptable, it has always been known as a good school.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 PM

1,334 posts, read 6,420,206 times
Interesting website that maps crimes in each of the Houston zip codes:

http://houstoncrimemaps.com/zip/

You'll notice that the far NW suburbs have significantly less violent crime (rape & murder) than most other parts of Houston.

With regards to the schools in CFISD in particular, I think they made changes to the rating system which has awarded Cy-Fair ISD dozens of Exemplary schools each year for decades. Same thing happened to Klein ISD. I imagine they're working on tweaking whatever criteria they need to to get back to that. Katy ISD had the same thing happen last year, now they're back up there. Over the years though, each of these school districts have been consistently recognized as some of the best in the Greater Houston area.

Cy-Creek is a great HS.
Cy-Fair is great.
Cy-Woods is great.
Cy-Ranch will be great.

Langham Creek will get better again with the opening of Cy-Lakes
Cy-Falls is good
Jersey Village is good

Cy-Ridge has some very very nice neighborhoods, but its also a closer in suburb with more apartments and low income mix
Cy-Springs is similar to Ridge demographically, still better than HISD by a mile.
Cy-Lakes should have similar demographics to Springs

Last edited by Mr. Football; 12-04-2006 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,900 times
I have lived in Cy-Fair 4 years now and the small subdivision I am in has no pool. Do you know how hard it is to find a pool accessible that has no minimum deposit plus 70 bucks a month for other ammenities I'll never use. I would like to have a pool near home I can enjoy..The subdivision next to us (Turtle Lake) is on our side but we have no use of it thanks to it being theirs. I have no problem spending a little extra but 70 to a hundred dollars a month for the Y or Lifetime Fitness just aint gonna cut it. I probably know some body around here that lives in one of these but have yet to retrieve any such info to use... My kids are driving me up the wall and I need a pass to help them enjoy theirselves at the same time wear em out some. Gees can't a House dad get a break ever???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: