Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 AM

88 posts, read 205,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
Oh my goodness... look in the suburbs and drive. $3k will get you a very nice rental in my neck of the woods (Spring, Woodlands, Tomball and Cypress).
Thanks, but I can't see us being happy out there. I will most likely be working inside the loop and we enjoy city life (restaurants, museums, Central Market....) I'm sure the houses are nice, but it's not the lifestyle we're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
That's surprising; I did a quick peek search on just plain ol' craigslist and found a number of properties that didn't look bad at all. Most were in Rice Military, the Heights, or the East End.
I did look through Craigslist, but I found the process exhausting! Most of the ads I clicked on were just links back to realtors (who didn't even respond to my messages/voicemails!). The whole thing was just so sketchy that I figured HAR would be the best use of my time.

FWIW, we're going to be on the border of Montrose and the Museum area. My BF took one look at the Montrose area around Westheimer and said "no way". The place we picked may not be perfect, but it will do for the next year

Old 08-10-2011, 09:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juilletdix View Post
Thanks, but I can't see us being happy out there. I will most likely be working inside the loop and we enjoy city life (restaurants, museums, Central Market....) I'm sure the houses are nice, but it's not the lifestyle we're looking for.

Give CityCentre a look.I know several people that really like living there,and everything is very new and pristine. It's about 20-25 minutes to downtown during rush hour. I think you would like it. You can get to the Galleria locations off Post Oak in 12 minutes if you use the Westpark.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Give CityCentre a look.I know several people that really like living there,and everything is very new and pristine. It's about 20-25 minutes to downtown during rush hour. I think you would like it. You can get to the Galleria locations off Post Oak in 12 minutes if you use the Westpark.
Thanks for the suggestion. We're familiar with the area because we belong to Lifetime Fitness out here in Chicago and we've used the club on previous visits to Houston (although it's an Onyx level and would be a lot more $$ per month!)

CityCentre does seem to be in a convenient location, however, I'm concerned about the noise and traffic congestion from all the bars in that mall. Might be worth a look, though!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
the montrose area around westheimer has the top ranked restaurants in the city. actually a cluster of them within walking distance and more coming. imo one of the best parts of Houston

Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
the montrose area around westheimer has the top ranked restaurants in the city. actually a cluster of them within walking distance and more coming. imo one of the best parts of Houston
Exactly what we are looking for

Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 PM

90 posts, read 130,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juilletdix View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. We're familiar with the area because we belong to Lifetime Fitness out here in Chicago and we've used the club on previous visits to Houston (although it's an Onyx level and would be a lot more $$ per month!)

CityCentre does seem to be in a convenient location, however, I'm concerned about the noise and traffic congestion from all the bars in that mall. Might be worth a look, though!
You couldnt pay me to live next to a freeway. Don't know why anyone else would either.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
I would stay at least 3 - 4 blocks off Washington Ave. Crazy bar traffic on the weekends, and you may have some foot traffic late at night in your yard.

Agree Montrose and Westheimer would be ideal. I'm loving the lower Westheimer area with the bars and restaurants. I'm looking forward to Underbelly, Hay Merchant, the new coffee shop which is supposed to be the best coffee on Houston, and the new Uchi opening soon.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...mlnum=41618519
This is a bit skechy area, but I wouldn't call it dangerous. It must be safe if my single friend whom is a girl feels safe.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
707 Welch, Houston, TX 77006 - HAR.com
This is a bit skechy area, but I wouldn't call it dangerous. It must be safe if my single friend whom is a girl feels safe.
OMG - this particular place was a disaster! It had to have been a foreclosure, there was a stain in one room that looked like someone had died in there!! My Realtor (and sister!) pointed out that one owner felt the need to have a security camera mounted over his door even though the complex had a security gate.

Yes, I can't wait for Blacksmith and Uchi to get built and open, too! so many cool places...that's why I am so set on living in that part of town.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 PM

286 posts, read 739,166 times
Thanks for posting these -- it kind of explains your experience a bit better. You were definitely in a more transitional area where things can be more hit or miss (excepting 77007).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston