U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:25 AM

14 posts, read 52,565 times
Default candlelight estates

Does anyone havea feel for the 'candlelight' area north of 610, near Oak Forest? My husband & I stumbled upon the area. After looking on har.com, it seems to be mostly ranch style homes, but some of them are totally renovated inside & are beautiful. There seems to be several "candlelight' areas...candlelight estates, wood, plaza,etc.... Does anyone know how the neighborhood is doing? Is it seeing some revitalization? Are there young families there? Is it safe?? Is it an up & coming area??

thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 AM

832 posts, read 2,668,437 times
I have some friends who live there and love it. It has great lights during Christmas. IMHO, the area surrounding is very spotty. However, easy access to downtown.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 AM

3,700 posts, read 10,966,288 times
I have friends there that love it too but the area is on the borderline. Southward the area is pretty good, northward...not so much. Kind of patchy. The high school in that area has not been that great in the past, things may have changed though with all the redevelopment out that way. There are nearby private schools that are very good (St.Pius, St. Thomas, others).

Old 08-14-2007, 08:35 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,419,816 times
Depends on which Candlelight you are talking about. There is the one adjacent to Shepherd Park Plaza, Candlelight Forest maybe? South of Pinemont. That one is real good. It is in that group of Garden Oaks/Shepherd Forest/Candlelight. Everyone has a "Yard of the Month" looking lawn it seems like. Candlelight Estates, running along Bethlehem between Ella and T.C. Jester is a good area too. That is the one that does the Christmas lights every year. One of the better values in reasonably close in nice neighborhoods. The other Candlelight is over off of Tidwell & Antoine. It is okay but a little close to the very rough stuff over on DeSoto Street.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 PM

THanks for the input. My husband & I are having a hard time firguring out where to live. We are relocating from New Orleans. We'd like a short commute, but a neighborhood with lots of kids & a good sense of 'community', if you know what I mean. I'm a stay @ home mom, so I'd like somewhere that I can take the kids to a nearby park, etc...

Old 08-14-2007, 09:49 PM

268 posts, read 1,089,458 times
My mom's group when I lived in Houston (up until a week ago) met at a Candlelight Park - I never had the chance to see this park but maybe you want to check it out.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 PM

MOdster..
So far I have heard of:
Candlelight woods
Candlelight estates
Candlelight Place...
So, I'm guessing that you were saying that 'woods' & 'estates' are the good ones???

Thanks for th input! Buying a house long distance sucks!!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenac9 View Post
MOdster..
So far I have heard of:
Candlelight woods
Candlelight estates
Candlelight Place...
So, I'm guessing that you were saying that 'woods' & 'estates' are the good ones???

Thanks for th input! Buying a house long distance sucks!!
I think Candlelight Place is a new 1-block development isn't it? Just look on the maps when looking. Are you sending the kids to private school? How large a house are you needing?

Old 08-15-2007, 02:35 PM

Yes, I think you're right about candlelight place. They look like mostly new homes. We have 2 small children so we don't need a school right away. but, I did notice that Oak Forest Elementary received a 'rocognized' rating this year (which the area is zones to), which is an incentive to move there.... We'd like something with 3 bedrooms + another study or computer area . Probably @ least 1700 sq feet.
Do you know anything about Shepard Plaza?

Thanks~

Old 08-15-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenac9 View Post
Yes, I think you're right about candlelight place. They look like mostly new homes. We have 2 small children so we don't need a school right away. but, I did notice that Oak Forest Elementary received a 'rocognized' rating this year (which the area is zones to), which is an incentive to move there.... We'd like something with 3 bedrooms + another study or computer area . Probably @ least 1700 sq feet.
Do you know anything about Shepard Plaza?

Thanks~
Shepherd Park Plaza is good. Its right next to Garden Oaks and a good compromise on not being out in a far-flung suburb, but not just over the top in price for a decent size home like a lot of close in areas. So long as the schools are okay, (I have heard good things on Oak Forest elem), I would say that would be a good area to consider. They are also redoing some retail right there at 43rd and Ella. So that will be a boost. There is already a Kroger signature store there, so you have a decent grocery store in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: