Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,024,328 times

Advertisements

Did you guys hear about this?

Top Chef Texas: Houston IS IN Plus Pay-to-Play Allegations - Rumormongering - Eater National

It's very unsettling to know TV shows are going around asking the cities to pay in order to be on the show. Houston refused, and thus didn't make the cut for the Texas Top Chef. Instead, they'll be in Dallas, San Antonio and Austin, even though it's Houston who has the state's best food and consistently ranks in the Top 10 restaurant cities in the US, not the other Texas cites. That also tells me the show is less about food and more about the dollar and perhaps other factors.

Of course the other cities are denying they actually paid to be on it, but do you think they'd really admit it if they had?

Something's fishy. Boo on Bravo and Top Chef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,834,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post

Top Chef Texas: Houston IS IN Plus Pay-to-Play Allegations - Rumormongering - Eater National

It's very unsettling to know TV shows are going around asking the cities to pay in order to be on the show. Houston refused, and thus didn't make the cut for the Texas Top Chef. Instead, they'll be in Dallas, San Antonio and Austin, even though it's Houston who has the state's best food and consistently ranks in the Top 10 restaurant cities in the US, not the other Texas cites. That also tells me the show is less about food and more about the dollar and perhaps other factors.

Of course the other cities are denying they actually paid to be on it, but do you think they'd really admit it if they had?

yeah and the other city's residents are gonna be bragging that they were on top chef so they have better food people know better

Old 08-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,574,253 times
Well they will have to hire george lucas to make houston look exciting on tv.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,693,211 times
Its almost as if Reality TV isn't real .

Hope I don't blow your mind but the folks on House Hunters already bought their house before they tape it .

Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Its almost as if Reality TV isn't real .

Hope I don't blow your mind but the folks on House Hunters already bought their house before they tape it .
umm not all the time. one time they framed a single black fat chick to go thru all the drama (plus hers) to only get declined by the lender after picking the place. more drama after that of course

Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,948,415 times
Does anyone watch Bravo?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Does anyone watch Bravo?
For my wife, Bravo is to my TruTV. sometimes you need to see other peoples issues

Old 08-12-2011, 01:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,802,411 times
Houston being snubbed by Hollywood/television is not really surprising.

What is surprising is that a show supposedly about food or chefs or whatever (I don't watch it) would skip a great restaurant/food mecca like Houston to go to mostly mediocre restaurant cites like San Antonio and Austin instead. Makes the cash bribe theory all the more believable if you ask me...

Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 PM

433 posts, read 699,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post

It's not a big deal. I know Houston is just dying to get some "shine", but across the country they know it is a choice of "lesser of the evils".

There is world food in Houston, but no world-class dining. It's good because it's affordable. Good for students and middle class. That's it.

No Michelin star restaurants and the past Michelin chefs have left because this city just can't support such a place. People here scoff at spending more than $100/pp. You think they can support $300-500/pp consistently? Not a chance.

Many people with the opportunity would rather only eat meat and potatoes here anyways, so there is no point. A steakhouse is just that: a steakhouse. Yes, there are fine dining establishments here that are nice, but that is the extent of it.

And the response any time I point that out, "<insert French joke>". Do ya'll need it that bad? Who am I without...

Last edited by pach84; 08-12-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,834,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
There is world food in Houston, but no world-class dining.
your point would be more valid if they didn't go to other areas in Texas. tell me about the world class dining in San Antonio and all the Michelin Chefs in all those other cities in Texas.

Major fail. Houston is the major food City in Texas and it is stupid to have a top food anything and not include it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston