Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:05 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
lol ... not as dark as root beer but when we tell people that Galveston is not a "pretty" beach - this is what we mean. No blue or green water and no white, sugar-y sand. Doesn't mean visitors don't still go, enjoy and have fun -- just means don't expect Florida or Mexico type beaches.
I guess root beer is a little dark. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:06 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Sorry Southern Boy - but they can't change the color of the water or consistency of the sandy. Galveston is Galveston - love it or leave it :-) Most who want to come to the beach love it and those who don't ... well they find elsewhere to go.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:08 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
I know they can't change the water's color, but just beautify the coast and the area to hide the "ugly" water.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Yes, up by the shallow parts it will not look blue. It will look more blue further out, and also depends on other factors like weather and time of year.

These are some I took one Fall, and they are NOT enhanced... all the real thing.
Galveston Beach pictures

Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It looks like root beer.
I think it looks like chocolate milk.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:33 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Well, Galveston needs to do something to beautify the coast.
I think I've heard that the water looks like that because of the runoff from the Mississippi River. I'm not exactly sure if it's worth doing much to the sand if the water is so ugly. I think the worst day I ever went to Galveston was when there were no waves and the gulf looked like a lake full of seaweed. Felt like I was walking in swamp water. But I've had some amazing times in Galveston/Bolivar and wouldn't trade that time for anything.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:36 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Yes, up by the shallow parts it will not look blue. It will look more blue further out, and also depends on other factors like weather and time of year.

These are some I took one Fall, and they are NOT enhanced... all the real thing.
Galveston Beach pictures
I like your sunset pics -- nice!!! Shallow is definitely brownish. We went to Galveston to take some pics back in July and they came out fabulous and when we looked at them, we decided that our camera obviously did not photograph the same beach we were at. Somehow we must have gotten separated from our camera. The water looked blueish and the sand looked off-white. That was not what we saw with our eyes when were snapping the photos - we saw the standard brown with the dark hard packed mud consistency sand. Not sure if it was an optical illusion due to the bright sun that day or what. Our camera did an auto-correct for us, I guess.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Galveston needs to do something about the water and sand. It has a huge opportunity pool a few miles north on 45. I never will step foot in that water, and prefer to avoid the sand.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 PM

75 posts, read 140,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think I've heard that the water looks like that because of the runoff from the Mississippi River. I'm not exactly sure if it's worth doing much to the sand if the water is so ugly. I think the worst day I ever went to Galveston was when there were no waves and the gulf looked like a lake full of seaweed. Felt like I was walking in swamp water. But I've had some amazing times in Galveston/Bolivar and wouldn't trade that time for anything.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing too about the Mississippi River runoff but I find it a little hard to believe that is the reason for Galveston's brown water. If this were true, how is it that the water in Pensacola/Florida Panhandle is so blue when that area is a lot closer to the Mississippi River Delta than Galveston Island is? I think the brown color has more to do with the runoff from our own area rivers and bayous into the bay and subsequently into the gulf.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:49 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intencity77 View Post
Yeah, I've heard the same thing too about the Mississippi River runoff but I find it a little hard to believe that is the reason for Galveston's brown water. If this were true, how is it that the water in Pensacola/Florida Panhandle is so blue when that area is a lot closer to the Mississippi River Delta than Galveston Island is? I think the brown color has more to do with the runoff from our own area rivers and bayous into the bay and subsequently into the gulf.
Have a look at the Mississippi delta on Google Earth. It clarifies the currents ands directional trends of the silt and debris flowing out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston