Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM

18,042 posts, read 25,069,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
So do you just truly not like white people? Several of your posts comment on them in a negative, sarcastic way.
She has a white friend (proving you wrong)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:40 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,643,155 times
Quote:
So do you just truly not like white people? Several of your posts comment on them in a negative, sarcastic way. Mexico is a beautiful country and it is sad that outside of the cities - 3rd world conditions do exist. I saw worse poverty in Jamaica. Chad and Niger have them both beat in terms of poverty. What is interesting about Chad is that despite the poverty and going outside in 120 degree temps to cool off from the lack of indoor a/c is that you NEVER see those children crying. They are always laughing and happy to see you. They are unspoiled for certain but lack so much of what most of the world has.
I fail to see how "white children" is negative. I was merely expressing how I think it is so stupid for someone to claim their way of living happily has been infringed upon because there are esl classes at schools.

Of course there are very poor people in Mexico, but do you think there arent any here? Go to an Indian reservation sometime or just look up stats on them or go somewhere like Detroit or St Louis.

I wish people would understand that 3rd world means a country that was unaligned with either of the major forces of the Cold War. The differences between 3rd world countries like Uruguay and Chad are very, very pronounced.

Yeah, you see kids smiling in National Geographic shows about Niger, but that is because they are so ****ing poor that seeing a camera at all is truly an exciting event. They dont show children dying of malnourishment...something that just does not happen in a moderately wealthy country like Mexico. Kids in Mexico dont care about cameras because they all have them on their cell phones.

Hell, even cross the border and go into Tegucigalpa, Honduras and you can tell that Mexico truly is a rich country...that is if you actually have experience with other countries, and not just Cancun or some tour to European castles and cathedrals.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:00 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,884,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I fail to see how "white children" is negative. I was merely expressing how I think it is so stupid for someone to claim their way of living happily has been infringed upon because there are esl classes at schools.

Of course there are very poor people in Mexico, but do you think there arent any here? Go to an Indian reservation sometime or just look up stats on them or go somewhere like Detroit or St Louis.

I wish people would understand that 3rd world means a country that was unaligned with either of the major forces of the Cold War. The differences between 3rd world countries like Uruguay and Chad are very, very pronounced.

Yeah, you see kids smiling in National Geographic shows about Niger, but that is because they are so ****ing poor that seeing a camera at all is truly an exciting event. They dont show children dying of malnourishment...something that just does not happen in a moderately wealthy country like Mexico. Kids in Mexico dont care about cameras because they all have them on their cell phones.

Hell, even cross the border and go into Tegucigalpa, Honduras and you can tell that Mexico truly is a rich country...that is if you actually have experience with other countries, and not just Cancun or some tour to European castles and cathedrals.
Great that you profess to be such a knowledgeable world traveler, but my comments on children in Chad speak from experience of actually being there and seeing these kids. They are happy and rarely cry because despite extreme poverty and living conditions - they learn to be happy despite the hand they have been dealt versus spoiled children who are given every luxury imaginable and still cry because it isn't enough. They make up ways to play instead of things to play. And yes they are fascinated by cameras and love to see their photos but their overall happiness and beauty despite their living conditions is simply amazing. They are quite beautiful children. So perhaps you might want to rethink the thoughts that you are the only traveler who posts on this forum and that others are speaking through the pages of a National Geographic. I would imagine there are plenty of knowledgeable and well traveled people on this forum who choose not to flaunt what they know or where they have been as if that somehow makes them superior.

I think some (of all races) complain about ESL classes because some believe as they assimilate the ESL learners into the regular classes, those classes are slowed down so that everyone in the class can keep up at the same pace. Hence the proliferation of GT classes. Despite what parents may believe there just are not that many GT kids floating around. The GT classes are now classes for normal kids whose parents don't want them slowed down for slower learners (including kids new to English) with a few truly GT kids actually in the classes. GT - it's the new average.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 AM

111 posts, read 207,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
people who call people moving to the houston area "infiltrators" are ignorant - yes

our education system is not in shambles because we offer ESL classes. where do you get that from? do you think the first time a non-native speaker came to texas was in the last 10 years?

the article is about well to do people creating businesses and jobs. are Americans that scared they want to ruin their own country before seeing someone who looks different give them a hand? if you feel that way you lose your right to complain about the economy

the real joke in the article is calling the Woodlands an "international destination." its just a suburb
ESL classes and schools catering to non English speaking families is most definitely one reason that the TEXAS school system is in shambles. TX has one of the lowest school rankings and one of the highest immigrant rankings. You do the math.

The problem is not that there are ESL classes offered, it's that non-ESL students are required to be in the same class with ESL students. This slows the pace of the class down for every student. How is that fair for the student who already knows English? Especially since English is the predominant language spoken in the US.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Lol, how does having esl classes force anything upon your poor little white children? The only kids in esl classes are the ones who dont speak english as their first language.
Do you have kids in public schools in Houston? Apparently not, or you would know that ESL students are intermingled with non-ESL students into regular classes.

This has nothing to do with ethnicity, and everything to do with common sense. There are plenty of kids that are of a different ethnicity that don't know the native language of their family. These kids are suffering as well when required to sit through a class with ESL students.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,884,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchiskey View Post
ESL classes and schools catering to non English speaking families is most definitely one reason that the TEXAS school system is in shambles. TX has one of the lowest school rankings and one of the highest immigrant rankings. You do the math.

The problem is not that there are ESL classes offered, it's that non-ESL students are required to be in the same class with ESL students. This slows the pace of the class down for every student. How is that fair for the student who already knows English? Especially since English is the predominant language spoken in the US.
Which is why people fight to have their kids classified as GT. I've seen firsthand the GT programs in two different area districts and seen firsthand that all of these children are not truly GT - many are, but many are truly average but avoiding slowed down regular courses (not sure what parents had to do to get them in to a "GT" course but whatever they did, they were able to do it).

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Which is why people fight to have their kids classified as GT. I've seen firsthand the GT programs in two different area districts and seen firsthand that all of these children are not truly GT - many are, but many are truly average but avoiding slowed down regular courses (not sure what parents had to do to get them in to a "GT" course but whatever they did, they were able to do it).

Pretty much. Which is crazy because average students should be allowed to have a "regular" education without it having to be "dumbed down".

I have also had kids in different districts and have seen a huge difference in teaching, curriculum, and overall learning as it relates to the ratio of ESL students in classrooms.

While it may be an ugly truth, it is reality nonetheless.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,016,531 times
researchiskey is making it sound like 50% of our students are non english speakers. you would be wrong. you need to actually look into things. look into the other problems with our school systems. you will find they are massive. i dont even hear the ESL complaint from anyone other than someone trying to make it about "Scary mexican people"

i think it is bordering on offensive some of the comments about children in Chad. oh they are truly happy look at this that one over there is dieing but hes got a smile on his face! those kids are not "unspoiled". that wouldn't be the term for living in absolute poverty. we should not wish the worlds children to live like that because the kids looked so "happy" to you. let me guess - you were on a mission trip....

ive been in Africa too. ive seen those missionaries

Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM

18,042 posts, read 25,069,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchiskey View Post
ESL classes and schools catering to non English speaking families is most definitely one reason that the TEXAS school system is in shambles.
That's the price we pay for being right next to Mexico.
At the same time, Texas' economy benefits greatly by being right next to Mexico.

And guess what... we can't just grab the state and move it somewhere else

Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,501,755 times
Quote:
McAllen is America. Yes, it is on the border of two countries and as is the case in ANY border area in ANY country, there is fusion of people. Do you think there werent brown skin people or Spanish speakers there until recently or something?

People need to accept that Texas itself is heavily Hispanic and it has always had a heavy Hispanic influence. After all, what the hell is all that different between n. Mexico and texas? We both have heavy German and Spanish influence, we both wear jeans and cowboy hats and boots and have similar cuisines and our traditional music is almost identical.

Personally, I love Mexico...cities like Guadalajara and Mexico City are great and i would love it if Houston could be more like them. McAllen is not like Mexico, it is like a Texas border town.
Do you even know what I'm talking about? I don't think you do.

The wealthy Mexican nationals come to McAllen and trash the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston