Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times

Advertisements

You live in Kingwood, right? Were you there before the City of Houston annexed it?

IIRC there was no municipal property tax in Kingwood before it became part of COH limits. COH municipal tax is .645% so I suppose that got tacked on to Kingwood residents' property taxes. That may have replaced any MUDs that may have existed up there - maybe not. Don't have a lot of exposure with Kingwood other than knowing that there was a big fight with the residents and the COH after annexation.

Houston ISD tax is .14757% - Humble ISD is .164. Kingwood is still in Humble ISD despite being in the Houston city limits, to compound the confusion of newcomers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 12:10 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,196 times
I've been in Kingwood since 2005 so I missed all the brewha of the annexation. My overall tax rate is 3.08% with a 20% homestead exemption. I think that you are correct regarding the COH municipal replacing the MUD in Kingwood.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:40 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
Mom2Feebs - we pay on 2 drainages but the other Cinco Ranch subdivisions that only pay on one were about the same price as these 2 combined so I didn't think too much about it since it came out the same. The older Cinco Ranch subdivisions had slightly lower mud rates but no homes in our price range.
Okay, I gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Mom2Feebs,

When you mention 2.57% in the Woodlands, does it include all the taxes including the HOA tax rate. Because if it does, it is very reasonable considering the type of community that the Woodland is

HOA fees are not a tax. As with any other subdivision, they are a seperate entity altogether. Like Caroline's Cinco Ranch tax outline, her HOA dues are not there, but run upwards of $500-700 a year, I would imagine, maybe more. We were going to buy in Indian Springs, and our HOA dues were less than $50 a month.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:03 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,196 times
Here is the breakdown on property taxes in the Woodlands (its as high as 4.14%) though taxes vary by village:

The Woodlands, TX Real Estate | Michele Flory & Company: Real Estate Property Tax

Old 08-18-2007, 09:39 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post
Here is the breakdown on property taxes in the Woodlands (its as high as 4.14%) though taxes vary by village:

The Woodlands, TX Real Estate | Michele Flory & Company: Real Estate Property Tax
Thank you for the tax list. At 4%, taxes on a 200K starter home is 8K a year. It costs 240K in taxes to live in this house for 30 years. [choking on coca cola] This figure is just too much. I've gotta lie down for minute here.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post

Yes, but you'll notice those higher areas are for newer parts of the Woodlands. If you live in an established village, it is a LOT cheaper. Michelle Flory has also included HOA fees on that page.

To truly break it down, let's use a home in The Woodlands, Cochran's Crossing that recently sold:

Sold for $150K
Montgomery County Appraisal District Taxable Value: $141000
Homestead Exemption: 20%
Actual Taxable Value with Exemption: $112800
Total Tax Rate: $2.58 per $100 valuation

Total Taxes Per Year/Per Month: $2910, or $242 per month

HOA fees for Cochran's Crossing: 42 cents per $100 valuation (no exemptions): $650 per year or $54 per month.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-18-2007, 01:03 PM

42 posts, read 181,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Thank you for the tax list. At 4%, taxes on a 200K starter home is 8K a year. It costs 240K in taxes to live in this house for 30 years. [choking on coca cola] This figure is just too much. I've gotta lie down for minute here.
I'm actually closer to Katy, but my subdivision is attached to Richmond, TX, and my taxes are at 3.51. Holy Moly, it's hard on a fixed income with just a retirement check to depend on. In a couple of years I'll also have Social Security and at that time I'll be thinking that I died and went to Heaven. LOL

I don't care what anyone says, or how they chose to justify it. . . the property taxes are outrageous here. I KNOW there is no state tax, but where I came from there was no state tax also. Just tried to retire near my daughter and my grandsons, but, man, these taxes are really hard on us older people. You know, not old enough for Social Security, but old enough to retire.

I've worked my whole life, from the time I was 17 years old. Personally, I think I deserve a break. I do see a few property tax breaks if I live to see 65 years old, God willing.

Right now I'm just watching my hard earned savings go to paying my yearly taxes. How do the other states manage without this ungodly high property tax?

I think I need to run for something, like mayor or councilwoman, or something.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Okay, I gotcha.

HOA fees are not a tax. As with any other subdivision, they are a seperate entity altogether. Like Caroline's Cinco Ranch tax outline, her HOA dues are not there, but run upwards of $500-700 a year, I would imagine, maybe more. We were going to buy in Indian Springs, and our HOA dues were less than $50 a month.
My hoa fees are $750/year in Cinco Ranch. If you live in a gated community in Cinco Ranch, the fees are about $1,000. I've been to the waterpark and the beach pool so far and I think the HOA fees are very fair considering the ammenities here which include several lifeguards at each pool.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:44 PM

I do too, Caroline, CR is an awesome place to live--and the schools are fabulous.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilke View Post
I'm actually closer to Katy, but my subdivision is attached to Richmond, TX, and my taxes are at 3.51. Holy Moly, it's hard on a fixed income with just a retirement check to depend on. In a couple of years I'll also have Social Security and at that time I'll be thinking that I died and went to Heaven. LOL

I don't care what anyone says, or how they chose to justify it. . . the property taxes are outrageous here. I KNOW there is no state tax, but where I came from there was no state tax also. Just tried to retire near my daughter and my grandsons, but, man, these taxes are really hard on us older people. You know, not old enough for Social Security, but old enough to retire.

I've worked my whole life, from the time I was 17 years old. Personally, I think I deserve a break. I do see a few property tax breaks if I live to see 65 years old, God willing.

Right now I'm just watching my hard earned savings go to paying my yearly taxes. How do the other states manage without this ungodly high property tax?

I think I need to run for something, like mayor or councilwoman, or something.
Not just a few property tax breaks, a big one! I hope that you get to that point as well! It will be worth it. Over 65 exemption is a huge chunk and those who get it more than deserve it. My mom was on a fixed income and paid $600 a year once she hit 65. Unfortunately, she didn't make it but two years past that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston