Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM

39 posts, read 127,566 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate. We have visited many areas in the County and loved the Woodlands area. The draws are the fact that the area is just beautiful, great schools for our two young children, tons of restaurants, community centers and a reform synagogue right in the Woodlands (I am Jewish and would have to travel about 1/2 hour to get kids to hebrew school in other places we are considering). I am a professional, but would be a stay at home mom once we relocate, so the community centers are a big plus for me as I would hope to make friends there.

The downsides are the hot humid summers and the long distance from our family. We are seeking a warm climate, so I don't think we can escape hot summers. One thing I noticed when we visited was a lack of covered patios at the houses we looked at. Phoenix and Vegas had tons. Should I assume nothing from this or that the heat and humidity is so bad that people don't spend time outside in the summer, even with a covered patio? The realtor told me that you spend hundreds of dollars a month on water if you have a pool due to evaporation, which makes zero sense to me since it is more humid than other places where I have not heard this. Is there any truth to this? Can you comfortable, and affordably use a backyard pool?

My husband works off peak hours, so commute isn't an issue. The Woodlands seems like a wonderful place to live. Am I correct or is there more I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM

538 posts, read 1,361,435 times
I think hundreds of dollars a month is an exaggeration. It's impossible to say how much your water bill will increase, because it depends on the size of the pool, and the rate of evaporation. A pool in full sun all day, will cost more to operate than one that gets shade. Your best bet is asking for utility bills, from one full year back. This year will be a off though, since we haven't had significant rain.

You'll see covered patios more often, if you're looking in the newer part of the Woodlands, towards the back. They're a more common option in newer construction. I use mine in the early evening. My house faces north, and the rear is in shade from 9:30am on, but even then, it's not just the heat, it's the humidity here. You'll sweat even in the shade.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:51 AM

291 posts, read 688,564 times
The Woodlands seems like a very nice place. I am considering moving there from Seattle. I am looking at the Houston area and Atlanta area right now. I know that The Woodlands is a good distance from Downtown Houston but it still seems like a great place to live regardless.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:42 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,581 times
The area is nice
Some people are nice, low crime and well maintained.
Few pretentious people also and it's a distance from Houston, but if you don't have to go into town, then everything is around you. It's also growing constantly

Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,729,484 times
You should consider that most every community has a very nice community pool that you already pay for with your HOA dues so a pool in your yard may be unnecessary unless you are one of those rare families that actually use their pool on a regular basis.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 PM

39 posts, read 127,566 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 AM

7 posts, read 17,350 times
If you own in the Woodlands, you could add a covered patio. There are 2 big pools and a baby pool in the subdivision. Most people w kids hang out at the pool to keep cool in the off hours. There is also a huge indoor/outdoor pool at Lifetime Fitness right across 92. (a 3 minute drive)
Anywhere in the southeast is going to have hot/humid summers and most people can't afford to live right on ocean to get the breeze. Most people do get used to it. If you're not at the pool, you usually just plan outdoor activities in mornings and evenings for the 3 really hot months when it gets into the 90's most days. The upside is that you will most likely make us for the outside time lost in the summer by being outside in the winter more. On a typical December Saturday, it's about 50 degrees for a high, sunny, and a slight breeze. You'll see the sidewalks and nature trails full of walkers, runners, people on bikes, babystrollers...bundled a little, but comfortable. There are not that many days in the northeast where you can do that.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 AM

613 posts, read 1,001,851 times
We used to have a pool. I was amazed at the rate of evaporation. Had to really stay on top of it or it really became expensive when it evaporated to the point of damaging the pumps. As was said, this will vary by pool size and sun exposure.

I'll add that pool ownership seemed a great idea but in practice we hated it. I am perfectly happy to use the community pool and would never own a pool again.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,384 times
3 hot months "when it gets into the 90s most days". be honest people! we have had a solid month of 100+ degree weather. your pool will be a hot tub. if you aren't prepared to try to acclimate to that type of weather you'll hate it here

people without pools in Houston still complain of water bills in the several hundreds. you can read the threads about it here. having a pool definitely makes it more expensive

that being said I love Houston and am fine with the summers. If you are interested in living in the suburbs and commute isnt a concern into the city the woodlands is nice

Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 AM

538 posts, read 1,361,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
I'll add that pool ownership seemed a great idea but in practice we hated it. I am perfectly happy to use the community pool and would never own a pool again.
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I wrote this. The only difference is, I made the mistake twice. Two times. Never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston