U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2007, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 29,560 times
Question Hiring Discrimination at Memorial Hermann Hospital?

Has anyone experienced hiring or other employment discrimination at Memorial Hermann Hospital? I've had some questionable experiences and would like to know what others have seen. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:34 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,188,756 times
hmmm, I've applied online several times when I first moved here (2 yrs. ago) and although my credentials and references were stellar, I never got called in for an interview. So you could be on to something.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:11 PM

11,357 posts, read 17,193,173 times
My wife has put in an application online back around January and she has the credentials to work there, but she hasn't received a call back either.

She is white, as I am.

I've been led to believe that you will not hear back from them anytime soon doing the online application, no matter who you are.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:44 AM

6,866 posts, read 12,617,229 times
It is very hard to get a job at Memorial Hermann. I worked at Southwest for three years. Discrimination is not likely found there--the employee pool was as diverse as you could imagine, and our department specifically (endoscopy) I was one of two Caucasian women.

If you know someone at MH, it helps to have them put in a good word for you, but otherwise, it is a very lengthy process. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 29,560 times
A year ago I was interviewed for a position. I was told that they thought I was an outstanding candidate, but that they already had another candidate in mind. However, because they thought I was such an excellent candidate they wanted me to interview for a similar position. I interviewed for position #2 and was told that though I was an excellent candidate they already had a candidate in mind for that as well, but wanted to interview me for a third position. After the third position interview, the position was offered to someone else.

This year, I applied for another position and was called for a telephone interview. After the interview, the director said that he would have HR contact me so that I could take their personality inventory test. I never heard from HR and when I followed up with the director, he ignored my email.

I am certain that I will never seek employment at Memorial Hermann again and that I would never use their services. I thought they showed a complete lack of respect, professionalism and integrity.

My online research shows that they have sued for race discrimination before. I think that though they may hire a diverse group, they may practice discrimination in placing minorities in more high-level and professional-level positions.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 13,938 times
I have found discrimination against "whites" in the financial, insurance and medical records departments at Christus St. Josephs Hospital, downtown Houston and Christus St. John Hospital in Nassau Bay, Texas. I was looking forward to working at one of the Christus hospitals, since I loved working at St. Paul's Hospital and Parkland in Dallas and Midland Memorial Hospital in Midland, TX, but in St. Joseph's Hospital, I was told there were no openings for the position I was wanting to apply for, which I named specifically when I asked the black woman for an application. I am white. She told me there were no openings for that position. I asked for a application to sit down and fill out and leave anyway, and as I was filling it out, a black woman came in the door and asked her if there were any openings for the exact same position, that I had just minutes before asked her about and she told her right in front of me that there was one and gave her an application to fill out and give back to her. I looked at her and she looked at me and we said nothing. I will never forget that. I was so shocked because I don't discriminate and I was over qualified for the position and usually if there isn't an opening, my references were so good, they would fire someone and give me the job.
After that, I went to apply at Christus St. John in Nassau Bay and was told there were no positions opened in that department and when leaving I looked into the department and it was filled with all black women.
I applied for another position after that (giving up on the position on my work history and just going for any job, since it was back during the oil bust) and at a book store, Webster, I was told by an Asian woman, (I have many best friends who were black, spanish, asian, and so on) that I was overqualified and that me being white I would just decide I didn't want the job and she would have to hire someone else. I would have loved to had the job and I wouldn't have quit because I love Book Stores.
I think it is just a discrimination against whites all over the city and area.
I think they have got into the positions and they are hiring only blacks. That is what I have found to be true and I have never had that happen to me any other place. And, I have worked in Texas and California.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 AM

8,907 posts, read 15,129,905 times
I think pretty much being bi-lingual is necessary to get hired in most help/service professions these days. Wrong but true.

I remember some waitress biotching about how she had seniority but didn't get promoted because she couldn't speak spanish to the kitchen help.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 15,291 times
Default Memorial Hospital SW "Discrimination"

Pure lack of perseverence or smarts... My first two applications were totally ignored. Number Three I delivered in person. While there I told the personnel lady that I wanted to talk with the department supervisor. In another day or two, the supervisor called and set an appointment for a talk. She was "black" and I was "white." She was around 40-45 years old and I was 70. I was "out of touch" with the field, but willing to learn. She hired me.
she was one of the very best "bosses" I ever had. Fair to all. Sense of humor. Knew her technology. I was well paid and really did enjoy the work and the people. I worked at MHHSW for about 7 years until I got too tired to stand up any longer. Around me were blacks, whites, browns, yellows, and every other color you might want to imagine. Some were male. Some were female. Some of them, one could not quite tell what they were. I liked them all. They liked me. Even the "lofty" doctor types were respectful and thanked me for whatever I did for them. The patients were much the same. I do not remember asking any of the patients if they were paying or were there for free. They never asked me if I was paid or a volunteer.

Further, I had earlier been a patient at MHHSW and had been treated well by everyone there with the exception of one "white" nurse who was a pluperfect jackass, never to be forgotten.

So, if you turn in your application for employment, you do not sit back and wait for someone to call you. You go after the job if you really want it.

Last edited by bobkay5; 08-07-2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 PM

232 posts, read 437,908 times
You will have better luck at Memorial Hermann Sugar Land. Very nice facility very nice staff. Hidden in the Burbs.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 10,596 times
absolutly they get rid of all their directors, managers or anyone with seniority and say the abolished there position only to re-hire a couple of months later the only way ito get them is to file a compliant prior to finishing severance and they cam
n't take that away. So do it. Lawyers have been contacted about thier practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston