Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,004 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm strongly considering moving to Houston this upcoming summer. I'm 25 Navy Veteran and current college student at Howard University in DC. I'm really not enjoying my college experience so far b/c the campus life isn't my cup of tea to say the least and I'm looking to go to a more commuter based school (Any recommendations?) I've never visited Houston but I plan on doing so sometime next month but I have a lot of friends who live there(Who all say I would enjoy the city). I want to know what are some communities to look at for renting a apartment (or buying a home/condo) not too far from downtown but not overly expensive. Oh and I do have a car so I won't need to live near a metro...but a park and ride would be nice!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM

58 posts, read 89,806 times
I just visited Houston for two weeks and enjoyed the city. It seems that University of Houston is a commuter school. The main campus is next to I-45. I also noticed that they have a downtown campus at the end (or the beginning, depending how you look at it) of the train line.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM

286 posts, read 736,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHippe View Post
I want to know what are some communities to look at for renting a apartment (or buying a home/condo) not too far from downtown but not overly expensive. Oh and I do have a car so I won't need to live near a metro...but a park and ride would be nice!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
What would be your budget? Apartments in and around downtown can be pricey.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
What would be your budget? Apartments in and around downtown can be pricey.
I would like to stay under the $850 a month price range if possible

Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 PM

254 posts, read 461,871 times
Hey BlackHippe. Howard eh? I have a few friends that went to Howard. Cool.

As suggested above, the University of Houston is more of a commuter school that would probably work well for you.

Also, what type of living are you looking for? Closer into the city, or suburbs? FYI: U of H is in the loop (explained below).

If you want to be closer to the city, I would suggest living inside the loop. Check out a map of Houston. You will see a loop immediately around the city called 610. You want to live inside that loop. Some good neighborhods are the Heights, Montrose, Midtown, or the Museum District. All are very nice.

If you want suburbia, I would suggest Spring/Klein. Many nice areas between I-45 and HWY 249 just above the Beltway (which is another loop that goes around Houston).

That's my honest opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: