U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM

18 posts, read 21,186 times
Default comcast SUCKS!!! any alternatives??? PLS help - desperate

So, started comcast internet service in June and I've had to call numerous times on issues such as internet being TOO slow, being charged for things that I shouldn't have been charged for and having to speak to INCOMPETENT customer services representatives just kills me!!! I live in the 77025 area. Just moved here in June so don't really know much about other providers and the reliability of the other providers. I read about ATT, Dish and Direct and it's kinda mix for me and the ones I read are in different zip codes. Please, please, can all share their experiences with other internet providers.

Really appreciate all responses, suggestions and comments!!!

Have a good weekend!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 AM

7,196 posts, read 7,621,032 times
I agree with you on the suckability of Comcast. Can you get U-Verse?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:05 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,458,975 times
I've never had an issue with DirecTV as far as customer service/billing. Every time I call, I get someone quickly and my case is resolved fast. Unfortunately though, my options are limited when it comes to internet. Comcast internet only is way too expensive... so I'm with Verizon DSL. Speeds are way slower than cable internet, and the customer service/tech support is just as bad as comcast. I wish the people who run DirecTV would expand into the ISP industry.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM

22 posts, read 41,263 times
Totally agree on Comcast. Cancelled and got a Sprint (also Clear) 4G desktop modem - same price or lower, and less downtime. Speed is slower than Comcast's upper tiers, though, and you need to live relatively close to a 4G tower. Unfortunately, they require a 2 year contract to avoid buying the high-priced modem.

Last edited by jaw_24; 09-30-2011 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: mispelled Sprint

Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,848,511 times
I have Comcast as my ISP for about 2 years and honestly I have not had any connection problems.
A couple of things to improve your connections includes getting you own modem and router.
The equipment they give you is crap. It will also save you a monthly rental fee.
Now their pricing and promotional deals is another thing.
Call them and speak to the retention department (you have to choose to cancel service in the automated prompts).
Tell them the price is too high and you are thinking of switching to another provider.
They will try to make a deal with you.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 AM

387 posts, read 832,922 times
I got Direct TV for TV and Comcast for internet. Both work great. I used to have ATT for internet, and it was horrible. I went through 4 modems, and it was slow.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM

995 posts, read 987,759 times
Avoid cable completely. Watch over-the-air TV, DVDs, and use wireless Internet "aircards". It's much cheaper, and you're not supporting the fat-cat Cable Lords and the anti-consumer cable (mega-media) industry. They'll never change unless people drop them like hot potatoes, and they start feeling the pinch.

Better yet, abandon the obsession with the indoor video box, and the couch potato syndrome. Get outside, get some fresh air and exercise. Do you something fun and/or productive....

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 AM

328 posts, read 765,279 times
Same with me too. I purchase my own modem ($20) and its working perfect. (FYI-They used to charge me $3 then $5 and then $7 as rent for their crappy modem) .
Only thing is their pricing. When you threaten to cancel, they do check your alternate options before making a deal.. so YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I have Comcast as my ISP for about 2 years and honestly I have not had any connection problems.
A couple of things to improve your connections includes getting you own modem and router.
The equipment they give you is crap. It will also save you a monthly rental fee.
Now their pricing and promotional deals is another thing.
Call them and speak to the retention department (you have to choose to cancel service in the automated prompts).
Tell them the price is too high and you are thinking of switching to another provider.
They will try to make a deal with you.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM

18 posts, read 21,186 times
Default comcast SUCKS!!! any alternatives??? PLS help - desperate

This forum is AWESOME!!! Thanks everyone for your input.

@cheryjohns – Looking into u-verse for my area. You currently use them at your ISP? How’s your experience?

@lostinhouston – Verizon DL??? That’s still around ☺ I thought it was updated with their fiber optic?

@ jaw_24 – Don’t really want to be locked in a 2-year contract. Is there caps on usage on these plans?

@ RVD26 – Your very fortunate that you didn’t have to go through the NIGHMARE I’ve gone through with Comcast. I mean, as I stated, I started service with them in June and I’ve had to call them at least 1-2 times a month – since June - that’s a bit much for me. If the customer service representatives were helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, competent, then it would be a different story. At least I can say the were helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, competent, but having to be transferred to 2-4 different reps on each call because the first rep couldn’t answer my simple question is really annoying and makes you wonder how they got their position and really shows you the kind of organization they are. I believe the people you hire are a representation of your organization. That’s my opinion anyway. I did purchase my own modem (Motorola) because I didn’t want to pay them anymore than I needed to and I knew the modem they would provide would be crap. They wouldn’t provide you a “quality” modem for $7.00 monthly. Well, that didn’t work because to my surprise they we’re charging me for it since June… I did tell them that I purchased my own modem when it was initially set-up. I was so PISSED!!! My account was credited but that’s not the point… Currently, I do have the promotion price that expires in December so at least I feel that I’m not getting TOO ripped off. It just feels like their MADNESS will never end and I suppose it won’t but I’m just so fed up with always having to call on charges that I’m not suppose to be billed for.

@ Oskar_Z28 – Was ATT that horrible/slow for you? Which plan did you have? Will be looking into see if ATT is available in my area.

@ Sunderpig – I agree with not supporting these fat-cat cable lords! Unfortunately, as for cable-tv, I’m in a complex that comes with the lease. As for internet, I’m really looking into other alternatives cause COMCAST sucks!!!

@ Wheretogo – As with RVD26, your fortunate.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,848,511 times
I had ATT DSL when I was in an apartment and it was fine for the most part.
A few interruptions here and there, but nothing major.
And the pricing was affordable, from what I remember.
Might be worth looking into, if you're having that many issues with Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston