Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 PM

11 posts, read 26,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Look in NE Houston -- the 59 is probably the best of the freeways in terms of traffic. I live in Eagle Springs (just outside of Kingwood) and it takes about 35 minutes to get downtown during the morning traffic hours.

Lots of good housing options in the subdivision -- can also check out Kingwood. Its more mature with LOTS of trees, but it'll add another 5-10 minutes to the commute. How old are your kids?

Oh, and welcome to Houston (hopefully)! I'm originally from Phoenix (moved out in 2006 for work / school) and moved here about a year and a half ago and am absolutely loving it. Great people, great culture, the summers are more tolerable than those in Phoenix (in my opinion at least -- though it's humid, it never gets so hot that you'll get a blister from touching your seat belt buckle), green with lots of trees, great food, the museum district around Hermann Park a perfect day out of the house, and we have some of the best and most affordable suburbs you'll find in any big city.
It is so comforting to hear that you're enjoying Houston after living in Phx! I've been told countless times that it is so much hotter than Phx, and I wonder how could that be? Our summers feel like you've got your head in an oven, maybe Houston is more like a good sauna ? I've lived in Phx my whole life, so the move is a bit scary. We are hopeful we can find a great place to call home.

I will have kids in 3 different schools, elem., middle, and jr high (is that how you do it out there?). We will definitely look at Kingwood, thanks for the commuting times, it's helpful. Your Eagle Springs is beautiful as well, I just didn't know how I felt about the kids having to be bused so far for jr high and high school.....but we will go for a drive and see how we feel.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,305,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archimom View Post
It is so comforting to hear that you're enjoying Houston after living in Phx! I've been told countless times that it is so much hotter than Phx, and I wonder how could that be? Our summers feel like you've got your head in an oven, maybe Houston is more like a good sauna ? I've lived in Phx my whole life, so the move is a bit scary. We are hopeful we can find a great place to call home.

I will have kids in 3 different schools, elem., middle, and jr high (is that how you do it out there?). We will definitely look at Kingwood, thanks for the commuting times, it's helpful. Your Eagle Springs is beautiful as well, I just didn't know how I felt about the kids having to be bused so far for jr high and high school.....but we will go for a drive and see how we feel.

Thanks again!
Yea, Eagle Springs is full of mostly younger families -- we have two elementary schools that are zoned almost exclusively to the community, but no such arrangement for middle schools (yet). You could try Summerwood, it's been around a bit longer and may have a better set up for middle / high school. Otherwise Kingwood would be a good bet. It's probably my favorite suburb in all of Houston -- trees EVERYWHERE. You'll be in absolute shock coming from Phoenix.

As for the weather, it's really six of one, half dozen of the other. The reason I prefer the humidity over raw heat is all the side effects of the extra 20 degrees -- the car turns into an absolute oven, the street burns your feet if you run outside without shoes, the playground equipment will leave you with blisters, etc.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 AM

114 posts, read 223,955 times
Are you a stay at home mom? If so, find the best schools for your kids, live in that neighborhood, let your husband commute by metro bus to avoid car accidents, tell him you appreciate him for his sacrifice, give him good sex! Now if your a working mom, yes you should consider commute since you'll be busting your butts to get home to take the kids to practice and activities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston