U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM

55 posts, read 48,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
With a chain?
The places in the loop with the best reviews from the younger crowd are local chains. Dont take my word for it, just use the county clerk records. I am in sales and in a former job I was privy to what buying food in bulk amounts meant. Local, national chain, doesnt matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 12:26 PM

7,746 posts, read 18,459,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliannie View Post
The places in the loop with the best reviews from the younger crowd are local chains. Dont take my word for it, just use the county clerk records.
Ok.... will do..........

Wow, so I did the Google Map tour of Montrose, known as THE restaurant neighborhood of Houston. Then I opened up the county clerk's website, typed in the restaurant names and cross referenced the owners of all those trendy restaurants.

I counted only about 1/4th of those as true "mom & pops." The rest are owned by LLC's or investment firms, some of which even cross-reference to non-restaurant businesses, and even Dallas-area restaurants & businesses. The Dimassi chain looks massive, too, owning more than just Dimassi's and even franchising some with that name to others.

Anyway, who cares? If it's good to you, eat it. Personally, big-name local chains have been a disappointment in recent times with their quality of food going down the dumper. I personally avoid national chain restaurants due to this issue making me feel like I'm getting a stroke after eating:

Many restaurant meals heavy on salt - UPI.com

Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,831,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
... some of those dingy lil hole in the walls you dickride so relentlessly.
this really hit the nail on the head.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 PM

789 posts, read 929,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illủmiñatex View Post
If the table is clean, the utensils aren't crusty and the food is great, I'm game. I frequent a couple of places most people consider "dumps" and would pick them any day over the chains. I will admit they initially gave me a case of diarrhea and gas, but that happened only once and looking back it wasn't a big deal. Everyone who works in those places knows me (like a family away from family) and not only do I eat the best tasting food, but as an added bonus my immune system is stronger.

I'm really there for the food, not to see/be seen but sometimes people watching can be fun. Every once in a blue moon some faddish young pair will come in and look around like a deer in the headlights. It's funny to watch them order, completely out of their element, using a fake-Mexican accent, or making a greeting by bowing with her hands together speaking with a fake-Chinese accent, and then dropping the chopsticks during meal time. It doesn't happen every day but when it does, it gives us all a good laugh! The chains are completely devoid of this entertainment.
I agree with your first paragraph completely. I have places where I go, and there is a very familiar feeling. I would go so far as to say there is no feeling at all, because I go there so often. I go to the places because they are a part of who I am. I'm not so sure about some of the other people I see that come to the restaurants.

I also don't understand why some people go to restaurants to be seen (but then again I'm one of those people who could care less about being seen). The story about the young pair makes me laugh, because I see it more often than I should. Usually it's white couples, of very different ages, or the all female Caucasian group, which are the funniest. They slay me with some of the stuff they say. I see a lot less of this in some of the "lesser known" Asian restaurants I go to. Maybe that's because 99% of the people that are there are Asian. I'm the other one percent.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,411,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Ok.... will do..........

Wow, so I did the Google Map tour of Montrose, known as THE restaurant neighborhood of Houston. Then I opened up the county clerk's website, typed in the restaurant names and cross referenced the owners of all those trendy restaurants.

I counted only about 1/4th of those as true "mom & pops." The rest are owned by LLC's or investment firms, some of which even cross-reference to non-restaurant businesses, and even Dallas-area restaurants & businesses. The Dimassi chain looks massive, too, owning more than just Dimassi's and even franchising some with that name to others.

Anyway, who cares? If it's good to you, eat it. Personally, big-name local chains have been a disappointment in recent times with their quality of food going down the dumper. I personally avoid national chain restaurants due to this issue making me feel like I'm getting a stroke after eating:

Many restaurant meals heavy on salt - UPI.com
I am probably gonna get slayed for saying this, but when I lived in Montrose I was never very impressed with the restaurants. Some were ok, but in general just average at best.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,532,556 times
i gotta step in here.

the average rich guy could not run a restaurant. that is why so many are owned by an "LLC". that does not mean it is a chain restaurant. a chain means they have franchises. an LLC is a backup for the capital to open and run. most restaurants, even expensive ones, barely break even half the time. Catalan had an investment backup. a chef, even a celebrity one, can quickly go broke opening up one himself and this is rarely done because of this

many LLCs are restaurant groups wholly separate from corporations that run chains. in some cases, like many in houston, they are houstonians who have made it and back chef run restaurants. support your local businesses and restaurants

that complaint sounds like someone who didn't like their Carrabbas meal and suddenly has an opinion...

Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM

55 posts, read 48,087 times
Actually it looks like high end restaurants are not under any big LLC or investment group. I guess those places owned by such groups are not really chains however a lot of them do business with companies like PFG, Sysco, etc. So a lot of the bulk, mass produced food basics will be the same in these trendy places as the chains. I also vote to support your local businesses, but preferably true mom and pops that are established with a good reputation and an owner presence. Fortunately Houston has plenty of these still, even among a sea of big LLC owned, 'hip' semi-chains here.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM

15,742 posts, read 15,893,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i gotta step in here.

the average rich guy could not run a restaurant. that is why so many are owned by an "LLC". that does not mean it is a chain restaurant. a chain means they have franchises. an LLC is a backup for the capital to open and run. most restaurants, even expensive ones, barely break even half the time. Catalan had an investment backup. a chef, even a celebrity one, can quickly go broke opening up one himself and this is rarely done because of this

many LLCs are restaurant groups wholly separate from corporations that run chains. in some cases, like many in houston, they are houstonians who have made it and back chef run restaurants. support your local businesses and restaurants

that complaint sounds like someone who didn't like their Carrabbas meal and suddenly has an opinion...
Agree the restaurant & bar owners I know are all in LLCs. Most individuals don't have the initial capital to start a business, so thats a way to set up a group.

The see/be seen places are usually clubs or restaurants trying to be hip and trendy. They usually hire attractive women "party girls" to come to their place and hang out while comping their drinks. Same for giving wealthy folks and athletes/celebs free meals. The hope is that Jon/Jane Q Public will want to come in and have a 'celebrity sighting'. Lame in my book but it makes money.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,532,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliannie View Post
Actually it looks like high end restaurants are not under any big LLC or investment group. I guess those places owned by such groups are not really chains however a lot of them do business with companies like PFG, Sysco, etc. So a lot of the bulk, mass produced food basics will be the same in these trendy places as the chains. I also vote to support your local businesses, but preferably true mom and pops that are established with a good reputation and an owner presence. Fortunately Houston has plenty of these still, even among a sea of big LLC owned, 'hip' semi-chains here.
sorry but you are wrong. cite the high end restaurants here not owned by a company

go to Reef and tell Caswell his food is mass produced

5 rich dudes who front restaurants because they love local food does not a chain make. ever ate at high end places? mass produced junk food. might as well eat at Chili's right?

Last edited by testmo; 10-19-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 04:36 PM

155 posts, read 208,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msreed87 View Post
heard that there isn't really a body of water nearby which somewhat bothers me but I may be able to get over that...Should I consider Houston or Dallas??
There is water everywhere, it's just in the suburbs. Think about it, one of our suburbs is "BAY"town. You just have to look for it. Waterfront areas are, Baytown, Clear Lake area, Lake Houston area, and Galveston.

The job market here is great compared to other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston