Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:00 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnetnutmeg View Post
Stupid, Shallow, Greedy, and Unlucky, and various permutations there of! I would like to advise the OP that you should just try out living in Houston, but don't get too entrenched, so you can escape quickly if you must. You probably will find that the things you thought you would like will be disappointing and won't pan out, and you will find a lot of other things that you won't like, but who knows? Someone mentioned Kool-aid drinking. There is definitely a lot of that going on here! Don't sell out your soul for "a job" like so many others here. There are jobs everywhere! Luckily you are young and don't have a spouse or kids to subject to this hell-hole. Don't be fooled by imbeciles who think the cost of living is low. It isn't! I wish I had been given this advice!
Hey Bluebonnet. I tend to agree with most of what you said, but for a person like me who is in a highly competitive field, it is very unlikely that there will be a job anywhere else, much less another one for my wife as there is here. Moreover, we love our work. I'd simply rather teach literature in Houston than do anything else anywhere else. (OK, maybe being a novelist in NYC would be better).

At any rate, I do take comfort in the diversity of people, which I think of as Houston's greatest strength. Of course, there is no infrastructure/civic space to really take advantage of this diversity so it's mostly just all dormant potential anyway. Furthermore, as you mentioned in another post, Houston is expensive now. So basically you have to pay Chicago/Seattle/Portland prices to live in a yuppie neighborhood full of oil execs who are trashing the world's future during the week and going to "fun run" charity events on the weekends so they can sleep at night. Or, like most of us, just give up and live in condos or in the burbs. Yes, there is a profound ugliness to Houston. The fact that so many people seem to want to deny it is perhaps even uglier. Absolutely. But that can also just make the beauty, when you find it, all the more touching if not fully satisfying. Overall, though, just know that there are a LOT of people here in Houston who can relate to your sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 02:20 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Hey Bluebonnet. I tend to agree with most of what you said, but for a person like me who is in a highly competitive field, it is very unlikely that there will be a job anywhere else, much less another one for my wife as there is here. Moreover, we love our work. I'd simply rather teach literature in Houston than do anything else anywhere else. (OK, maybe being a novelist in NYC would be better).

At any rate, I do take comfort in the diversity of people, which I think of as Houston's greatest strength. Of course, there is no infrastructure/civic space to really take advantage of this diversity so it's mostly just all dormant potential anyway. Furthermore, as you mentioned in another post, Houston is expensive now. So basically you have to pay Chicago/Seattle/Portland prices to live in a yuppie neighborhood full of oil execs who are trashing the world's future during the week and going to "fun run" charity events on the weekends so they can sleep at night. Or, like most of us, just give up and live in condos or in the burbs. Yes, there is a profound ugliness to Houston. The fact that so many people seem to want to deny it is perhaps even uglier. Absolutely. But that can also just make the beauty, when you find it, all the more touching if not fully satisfying. Overall, though, just know that there are a LOT of people here in Houston who can relate to your sentiment.
I think the difference between your and bluebonnets view of Houston is that you do seem to see some potential here, whereas bluebonnet sees nothing of any redeeming value what-so-ever. I think there is a big difference between the two points of view.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 06-29-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 03:19 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
A nearly year old post bumped because someone wanted to randomly vent about why they're miserable.

Yawn. Shocking. *rolleyes*

Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msreed87 View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Houston after undergrad..I live in Chicago. I know that Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. I don't mind the humidity...I love the heat...How is the job market?? Heard it was really good...but I wouldn't move there without one. I plan on visiting soon...I heard that there isn't really a body of water nearby which somewhat bothers me but I may be able to get over that...Should I consider Houston or Dallas??
It's mostly up to you. From your list of wants, it's a great fit but asking if you will hate it tells me your expectations and bias are negative about. Expect to like it and you are more likely to than if you expecting to hate it.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msreed87 View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Houston after undergrad..I live in Chicago. I know that Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. I don't mind the humidity...I love the heat...How is the job market?? Heard it was really good...but I wouldn't move there without one. I plan on visiting soon...I heard that there isn't really a body of water nearby which somewhat bothers me but I may be able to get over that...Should I consider Houston or Dallas??

This was posted 3 years ago. Did you move to either Houston or Dallas or are you somewhere else?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
So basically you have to pay Chicago/Seattle/Portland prices to live in a yuppie neighborhood full of oil execs who are trashing the world's future during the week and going to "fun run" charity events on the weekends so they can sleep at night. Or, like most of us, just give up and live in condos or in the burbs. Yes, there is a profound ugliness to Houston. The fact that so many people seem to want to deny it is perhaps even uglier. Absolutely.
Meanwhile in the rest of America, people go to jobs where they plant trees and feed the hungry for ten hours a day, clock out and drive their air powered cars to their homes made of recycled water bottles.

Look, I respect nature and the environment more than most people, but let's not demonize the energy industry when it is very reason millions of people are able to feed their families, and it's also one of the very things keeping this economy afloat. Who dreams of going into oil? No one I know, but there's money in it.

Houston is really no exception. It's a city of some good and some bad. Just like every other town in this profoundly ugly nation.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:21 AM

153 posts, read 540,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If only Houston were by some large body of water...

If it rains hard and long enough, you'll regret your requirements for being near large bodies of water.

Then after it stops raining for few hours, you'll wonder where all the water went.

(Imagine a Chicago blizzard, with temps above freezing.)

Old 07-05-2014, 02:18 AM

13 posts, read 14,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bghplayer View Post
Stay in Chicago or go to California or New York if you are young. Houston is boring for young people. If you love outdoor sport or outdoor shopping, you won't be doing that here. It is just way too hot here in the summer. IMO Houston is perfect for raising a family or retired folks. Things are cheaper here and you get bigger house for your money compare to other major cities.

That is just my experience. I live in Houston for more than 20 years.
I'm worried about the tumble-weeds.

Everytime I walk in DT Hoostun I have to dodge them,
just to get to the bank. :/

Old 07-05-2014, 12:37 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Fat unhealthy people may find it unbearable to be outdoors. Not a problem for me and my family. Youll see many fit people running and sporting outdoors 365 days out of the year. We can do that here.

People talk about profound ugliness of houston. Same people that magically think a few hills in a city makes it magical.

There are only a few apots in a few cities in this entire country that are beautiful - portions of san fracisco bay area, portions of seattle, portions of chicago and central park new york. That is it. Move there if you can afford it or live in a large city in a pretty neighborhood

Old 07-05-2014, 02:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Fat unhealthy people may find it unbearable to be outdoors. Not a problem for me and my family. Youll see many fit people running and sporting outdoors 365 days out of the year. We can do that here.
That was baseless and unnecessary. There are healthy people who can't stand the heat just like there are overweight people who don't mind. So you trying to make yourself sound better than everyone else was a FAIL!

Quote:
People talk about profound ugliness of houston. Same people that magically think a few hills in a city makes it magical.

There are only a few apots in a few cities in this entire country that are beautiful - portions of san fracisco bay area, portions of seattle, portions of chicago and central park new york. That is it. Move there if you can afford it or live in a large city in a pretty neighborhood
Beauty is relative but I would bet most people would agree that most US cities are considerably more attractive or atleast have more history than Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston