U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:02 PM

6,494 posts, read 9,568,022 times

Advertisements

Most neighborhoods are mixed but you will still find areas that are predominantly white, predominantly black, predominantly hispanic and predominantly Asian. Whatever kind of neighborhood you are looking for, you can probably find it here. I think the races mix well here but prejudice (within every race) is still here - guess you can never totally get away from that -- guess people can choose which group they want to hang with. Want to hang with a mix - do-able; want to hang with your own - do-able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
I've spent a decent amount of time in Chicago (though never lived there), I recently moved back to Austin from Houston but I lived in Houston for a few years. Honestly I don't know how you would like Houston because I know so many people living there who are from Chicago and they have differing reactions. Enjoying warm weather is a must. As for the person who said it was boring if you're a young person, I don't think that person would probably be able to tell you where young people go; I had a great time going out in Houston. Is it the best city? No. Is it as cool of a city as Chicago? Not IMO but I still liked it; there are pockets of cool places in Houston and Houston is pretty laid back. I liked it. Oh, and great food. And a lot of diversity.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 AM

7,725 posts, read 18,213,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Houston is regularly rated as one of the best cities for young professionals. yes a part of that is affordability that is why so many young professionals are moving here.

I've said this before, but Google "Houston worst city for dating" and grab some popcorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig
And after the hurricane of 1900 - whiping out much of Galveston (the largest Texas town at the time) - Houston started surpassing Galveston, mostly due to the enhanced protection being farther away from the coast. It expanded due to a shift away from using Galveston as a business base.
To most young Houstonians, Dallasites, Austinites straight out of school, Galveston is just another Houston suburb.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:03 PM

638 posts, read 661,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The Gulf doesn't compare at all to Lake Michigan, especially if the OP is coming from the heart of the city. Chicago + Lake Michigan together is picturesque. While the Gulf has some good days, it is mostly murky muddy and again, it's 50 miles away. Galveston Bay is actually closer at about 30 miles with a few small beaches that can actually be less murky than the Gulf... but oil industry is in the backdrop (and in the air).
I wouldn't say it's "picturesque". Lake Michigan has its issues... closed down many times due to pollution levels too high. Chicago is great for architecture, but winter there is absolutely brutal. People are curt and unfriendly. It doesn't have that "welcoming feeling" that Houston has. As of now, I like Houston much better than Chicago, but that's just my opinion.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:22 PM

548 posts, read 467,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronpaul View Post
I am also a young (20 y/o) Chicagoan intrigued by Houston.

Main reasons being:

Racial diversity and neighborhood integration (coming from the most segregated city in America)
Affordable housing
No state income tax
Job availability

I feel as if though Houston would give me the best opportunity to save up money while still being able to live in a major city.

Why do some of you feel Houston is boring for young folks? What makes Houston different from Chicago in that regard? Also, is Houston as racially integrated as I'm led to believe or is that a misconception about the city?
From what I have heard.. Chicago is very segregated and does not have any sort of racial integration. This is not true in Houston, where there are many people who hang out with others outside of their race. I guess it could have to do with the fact that Houston is in the south, and the southern culture that comes with it, but thats just a guess.

To the OP... to many Young people, Houston isnt near the top of their "dream city to live in", it just isnt. The only reason why young people move here is the job market, the affordability and lower taxes.

As a 22y/o I would love to live in Chicago once I graduate, where I can walk to work walk to the grocery store and walk to a club. Be in the middle of it all and not have to worry about the chores of driving, traffic, parking etc.

But that all takes a backseat if I dont have a job or cant pay the rent.

So, IMO if you have a job and a good life up in Chicago.. I wouldnt move down here.. but if your looking for opportunities.. then you might have to..

Old 10-08-2011, 02:28 PM

638 posts, read 661,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
From what I have heard.. Chicago is very segregated and does not have any sort of racial integration. This is not true in Houston, where there are many people who hang out with others outside of their race. I guess it could have to do with the fact that Houston is in the south, and the southern culture that comes with it, but thats just a guess.
Very true about the lack of racial integration in Chicago.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM

677 posts, read 736,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bghplayer View Post
Stay in Chicago or go to California or New York if you are young. Houston is boring for young people. If you love outdoor sport or outdoor shopping, you won't be doing that here. It is just way too hot here in the summer. IMO Houston is perfect for raising a family or retired folks. Things are cheaper here and you get bigger house for your money compare to other major cities.

That is just my experience. I live in Houston for more than 20 years.
Man im young in college and i find Houston to be fun..I'm always finding stuff to do. Most people come here EXPECTING the fun to come to them but you have to go out and find it (like everywhere). They have all kinds of concerts and venues that are not that expensive, lots of parks, great museum district and the beach not that far. Bottom line Houston is a pretty cool city. The one thing I like is that you can do things for fairly cheap. As a college student that a major plus

Old 10-08-2011, 10:11 PM

7,725 posts, read 18,213,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I wouldn't say it's "picturesque". Lake Michigan has its issues... closed down many times due to pollution levels too high. Chicago is great for architecture, but winter there is absolutely brutal. People are curt and unfriendly. It doesn't have that "welcoming feeling" that Houston has. As of now, I like Houston much better than Chicago, but that's just my opinion.

By picturesque I meant for pictures only. Houston and Galveston have nothing on Chicago when it comes to this:

chicago skyline - Google Search

Some of my best personal photos were from Chicago in the mid-summer.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:19 AM

21 posts, read 19,392 times
msreed87 - Without knowing what kind of job you're looking for, I can only guess you are a pretty flexible person from the nature of your question. At the point you are considering Houston, i say move down here and try it out. I can't speak for all job markets, but there are a lot of jobs for the willing (professional and not). Since you are young, you have no anchors. Let the dove sleep in the sand. BTW - downtown has lots of fun opportunities.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,542,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronpaul View Post
I am also a young (20 y/o) Chicagoan intrigued by Houston.

Main reasons being:

Racial diversity and neighborhood integration (coming from the most segregated city in America)
Affordable housing
No state income tax
Job availability

I feel as if though Houston would give me the best opportunity to save up money while still being able to live in a major city.

Why do some of you feel Houston is boring for young folks? What makes Houston different from Chicago in that regard? Also, is Houston as racially integrated as I'm led to believe or is that a misconception about the city?
This is what I want to know! I mean, how can the 4th largest city in the US be boring???????? I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston