Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,730 times

Advertisements

Kenpar, thanks We are really happy and satisfied with our decision!

TxHustla, I already answered this, but I'll answer it one more time for you. You asked why if we have cash/credit would we buy in Eastwood and not in a "safer" neighborhood. Well, of course I think that's subjective, but here is the number 1 reason we bought in Eastwood: 5 mile commute to my husband's job and he doesn't have to use the houston highways to get to work. I refuse to ask my husband to commute on Houston highways day after day. Commuting is a huge waste of time, money and precious resources. Not to mention stressful and dangerous. I see commuting an hour each way (or even less) as an unnecessary extravagance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM

847 posts, read 1,752,002 times
i think the point txhustla and i are just trying to get across, is just be careful and aware of your surroundings. use common sense when walking the streets. i know it can be dangerous anywhere in the city, but the area you chose to live in is not far from a 'not so good' area. so those people that live in the "uglier" part of eastwood venture out of their area. i'm glad you got a home that doesn't require your husband to commute, i know i don't like commuting, but i chose to live in spring because i lived in eastwood/2nd ward for 15-20 years and didn't wanna live there anymore, nor anywhere near it. i loved it when i worked in downtown and still lived at home with mom, i was able to take the bus and be there in 10 minutes still.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 AM

121 posts, read 240,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post

TxHustla, I already answered this, but I'll answer it one more time for you. You asked why if we have cash/credit would we buy in Eastwood and not in a "safer" neighborhood. Well, of course I think that's subjective, but here is the number 1 reason we bought in Eastwood: 5 mile commute to my husband's job and he doesn't have to use the houston highways to get to work. I refuse to ask my husband to commute on Houston highways day after day. Commuting is a huge waste of time, money and precious resources. Not to mention stressful and dangerous. I see commuting an hour each way (or even less) as an unnecessary extravagance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
i think the point txhustla and i are just trying to get across, is just be careful and aware of your surroundings. use common sense when walking the streets. i know it can be dangerous anywhere in the city, but the area you chose to live in is not far from a 'not so good' area. so those people that live in the "uglier" part of eastwood venture out of their area. i'm glad you got a home that doesn't require your husband to commute, i know i don't like commuting, but i chose to live in spring because i lived in eastwood/2nd ward for 15-20 years and didn't wanna live there anymore, nor anywhere near it. i loved it when i worked in downtown and still lived at home with mom, i was able to take the bus and be there in 10 minutes still.
Thats already 3 people who has lived there for years that have the same knowledge as me. So i hope everything works out for you there but just be careful and stop being so manipulative and naive about things there. Good luck with your kids in those schools as well but as somebody else pointed it out....they're probably being pushed to being the best of the worst. The easiest route isn't always the best one.

Oh and btw, last weeks drug raid on sherman near lockwood was crazy.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Given the choice, I think I would rather have a long commute than live in a neighborhood where I have to continually watch over my shoulder. I hate the freeways, but to me this is definitely the lesser of 2 evils.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
Awesome! Did it make the news?

I think that there is a distinction to be made between "closed" drug dealing and "open" drug dealing.

If a neighborhood has drug dealing that happens to be behind closed doors and is not noticed by people who don't do drugs, then the problem doesn't affect quality of life so much.
But if drug dealing is "open," if people are routinely harassed by drug dealers, if violence that spills into the larger community/affects innocent people occurs, then it is definitely a problem!

Last edited by Vicman; 10-11-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 AM

103 posts, read 136,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I am going to leave out the stats on race and economic status because I don't see how that applies to whether or not a school is good.

Attendance rate: 98.2%
Graduation rate: 100%
College enrollment: 100%
SAT scores: 1315
Can you clarify that SAT score? Is that out of 2400? Because I'm looking online at different sources and they say the average score for Eastwood Academy is 808-896 on a scale of 1600.

The median scores for the SAT in the US is 1020/1600 or 1520/2400. And if my assumption is correct, the average at Eastwood Academy is actually worse than 75% of the US.

The average ACT score is also showing to be only 17 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Man
If you speak to any competent psychologist trying to locate a good school, they'll point you to test scores. Since all of the kids are being tested, there is no place to hide. Good test scores indicate the children are comfortable and unstressed.
Sounds like a lot of opportunity to shine at Eastwood!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Quote:
Thats already 3 people who has lived there for years that have the same knowledge as me. So i hope everything works out for you there but just be careful and stop being so manipulative and naive about things there. Good luck with your kids in those schools as well but as somebody else pointed it out....they're probably being pushed to being the best of the worst. The easiest route isn't always the best one.

See, I think that's where the problem is. You think the Eastwood we are talking about encompasses the other side of Harrisburg. When in fact, I don't think anyone considers that section Eastwood. Is it even technically Eastwood? That side IS hood. I've seen it, but rarely ever venture that way. The Eastwood we talk about is more West. From Leeland, to Polk to Mckinney, to the tracks. I think Eastwood park is at the very edge of Eastwood and probably very close to the rougher sections which are on the other side of Harrisburg.

I understand what you are saying. But it's the city. It's like saying that Woodlands Heights ($300k+) in 77009 is dangerous because a few blocks to the East you have homes in the $40k-$80k range with very likely drug happenings. Or like saying that Oak Forest ($250k+) and Garden Oaks ($300k+) are dangerous because the other side of Yale is very bad,(VERY BAD.) Both examples have a difference of less than a quarter mile or less between the good and bad. Areas like off Washington in 77007 are littered with small shacks and can easily house drugs, but then right next door you have $300k+ townhomes.

It's the city and that's just the way transitional areas are. It's not for everyone, but it definitely works for many people. Just look at the appreciation in those areas and compare them to the suburbs. It's all about personal opinion. The city is big and there are choices for everyone.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Given the choice, I think I would rather have a long commute than live in a neighborhood where I have to continually watch over my shoulder. I hate the freeways, but to me this is definitely the lesser of 2 evils.
yup..when i lived in the area..i was literally 5 mins away from work...but i chose to move 45 mins out instead of staying there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Awesome! Did it make the news?

I think that there is a distinction to be made between "closed" drug dealing and "open" drug dealing.

If a neighborhood has drug dealing that happens to be behind closed doors and is not noticed by people who don't do drugs, then the problem doesn't affect quality of life so much.
But if drug dealing is "open," if people are routinely harassed by drug dealers, if violence that spills into the larger community/affects innocent people occurs, then it is definitely a problem!
i dont know if it made the news..but in this particular case it was closed dealing..but trust me, theres SEVERAL open dealing..and a few on lantrip's side too..

and today was funny..just saw a car come up sydney and polk..pull up the landscaping trailer at the COH water dept..1 guy got off and took a blower from the trailer and took off..LOL i was like damn right in front of me.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
and today was funny..just saw a car come up sydney and polk..pull up the landscaping trailer at the COH water dept..1 guy got off and took a blower from the trailer and took off..LOL i was like damn right in front of me.
I hope somebody got a video of it - it should go on YouTube

Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I hope somebody got a video of it - it should go on YouTube
LOL 2nd Ward/Eastwood should have its own Youtube Channel..that would be some must see tv!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston