U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2011, 08:29 AM

85 posts, read 122,525 times

Advertisements

Considering buying a home in Long Meadow Farms zoned to Bricoe JH and Foster HS. Went to check out the schools and were stunned to find them in the middle of nowhere on a 2 lane bumpkin road.

I know there is a mindset that Katy schools are much better, but have not seen anyone with personal experience with Foster chime in.

We wonder how they could attract quality teachers to such a remote area.

I know this forum rates Foster as a 79, vs a 93 for Seven Lakes. And that Foster is nowhere to be seen on the Newsweek Best High Schools list where Seven Lakes is.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:08 PM

5,345 posts, read 9,105,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Considering buying a home in Long Meadow Farms zoned to Bricoe JH and Foster HS. Went to check out the schools and were stunned to find them in the middle of nowhere on a 2 lane bumpkin road.

I know there is a mindset that Katy schools are much better, but have not seen anyone with personal experience with Foster chime in.

Well, Long Meadow Farms is sort of out there too, there's only just recently new commercial/retail going up near it.

If you're that concerned, look a few miles north in Cinco or a few miles southeast in the Austin High (FBISD) zone. Both much more established areas, great schools and I don't think you can go wrong with either of those.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM

169 posts, read 226,827 times
i live near there also zoned to these schools. I learned they are by far the best Lamar schools. Katy has the better rep and may be a little better, but I wouldn't worry about its locations. Some of the best schools in the state are in rural areas or FM roads. In fact I'd rather have my kids go there than a school in a more populated area. Less inner-city influences and less school area traffic.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,852,539 times
Quote:

I know this forum rates Foster as a 79, vs a 93 for Seven Lakes. And that Foster is nowhere to be seen on the Newsweek Best High Schools list where Seven Lakes is.

Thanks!
Not too sure on the schools but you might want to do a little more research before buying in Long Meadow Farms. The new 99 elevated tollway is going to be going right past it. Values in that subdivision have already dropped some in the last 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop some more too. Be careful not to be anywhere near the Grand Parkway if you buy there.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 AM

85 posts, read 122,525 times
VA Cat,

I guess the tollway is being built in the center median?

Yes, LMF is next to the Grand Pkwy and the house we are looking at is on that lake closest to the pkwy.

Really not sure if/how that would affect property values.....of course all neighborhoods have suffered in the past 3 years.

Now, we are being offered a lot at a nice discount.....of course it is zoned to Travis.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,852,539 times
Quote:
VA Cat,

I guess the tollway is being built in the center median?

Yes, LMF is next to the Grand Pkwy and the house we are looking at is on that lake closest to the pkwy.

Really not sure if/how that would affect property values.....of course all neighborhoods have suffered in the past 3 years.

Now, we are being offered a lot at a nice discount.....of course it is zoned to Travis.
Yes the tollway will be the median that you now see. Look north of Fry Road on the Grand Parkway to see what it will be like once its been completed. Many areas in Richmond haven't taken as much of a hit as LMF. Values in LMF seen to still be falling! I noticed a house we were originally interested in go on the market last year and then also go through 3 price reductions before being sold or pulled off the market when its price was $50,000 less than the original asking price. If you are buying in there be very careful of your location within the subdivision. When the elevated road is built, you will have no barrier from the traffic noise! Thats going to really hurt your ability to sell.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 AM

929 posts, read 1,451,138 times
Foster is a good school, and that "Two Lane Bumpkin Road" has multi million dollar estate homes on either side all the way down once you pass Pecan Grove. Texana Plantation, Grand River, Crystal Lakes Estates, Woods Edge...etc. In fact, I'm quite sure the country bumpkins aren't too happy that Long Meadow Farms or Fieldstone is zoned to their school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston