U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 20,720 times
Default Community Experience: The Woodlands vs Kingwood

Hi all,

Without getting into the Woodlands v Kingwood debate in general, I have a particular question for you all:

What are the main differences and pros & cons between The Woodlands and Kingwood - in terms of community/neighborhood experience?

What my fiancee and I are specifically looking for are:

1. Safe neighborhoods and shopping (we will have an infant by the time we move, stay at home mom; and I work from home, so no commute issues there)

2. Really good schools

3. Neighbors (quality people, stable neighborhood and family environments, demographics if applicable)

4. Slightly unrelated: risk of Houston's enveloping/negatively impacting these areas due to Houston's expansion to the north

Some facts about us: semi-conservative temperament, can afford house at $200-$250K, looking for long-term place to plant roots (don't want to move in 5 years due to area changing), fiancee's cousins live in Kingwood, so the Woodlands might entail our driving 47+ minutes to/from their houses to visit (both good and bad ).

I have been to The Woodlands back in the 90s when it was much smaller and was VERY impressed by it. The trees, the well-kept nature of it, the upper class feel, etc. From what I've already read on the forums, the 2 communities are fairly comparable, though The Woodlands has more shopping/amenities, and is more tightly regulated.

In short, what do you locals (current and former) think about the community experience? We're looking to stay for the next 20 years at least, so we'd rather not have to move due to neighborhood changes.

Thanks all for your helpful feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 05:34 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,434,273 times
I prefer the neighborhoods in Kingwood and think it's probably a bit more protected from encroachment than the Woodlands, however the shopping isn't nearly as good. The Woodlands mall is way better than anything in NE Houston.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Texascrude, thank you ...

May I ask why you prefer the neighborhoods in KW? People? Trees? Layout? Other?

Could you elaborate a bit on why you feel KW is more protected from encroachment (e.g., they're already under Houston city).

And, I've heard the shopping comparison as well.

Thanks again!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM

638 posts, read 643,160 times
Click the pictures thread at the top of the houston forum and you will see 2 (I think) links to pictures of the Woodlands. I don't believe anyone has posted pictures of Kingwood yet.

Sometimes, pictures can really sell a place or discourage you.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Status: "Ready to help you find a house!" (set 18 days ago)

1,728 posts, read 3,124,731 times
Well, if you are considering living in one of these 2 places, nothing anyone will say here can do more than just driving through both areas yourself and getting a good feel for each. What one person sees as a treasure - another sees as trash.

I live in Atascocita, and am in Kingwood a lot. We chose not to live in Kingwood because of the extra 20 minute commute it would have added to my husband's commute. I really like the Woodlands as well, but refuse to deal with I-45 traffic.

I prefer Kingwood. While both are asthetically pleasing (nice homes/neighborhoods, large trees, wonderful lots, lots of parks, etc) I feel that Kingwood is *quieter*.

While shopping is decent in Kingwood, if I want to go a good mall, I make my way to the Woodlands. It's only about 35 minutes for me.

In the end, it's all comes down to which one feels more like "home" to you.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM

lhafer, I agree with you. In fact, we are planning to do that in short order. We'll be visiting friends in Kingwood, and touring the area, esp. The Woodlands.

vegankris, thank you for the suggestion; however, it seems that both of the 'The Woodlands' picture links on that thread contain broken (obsolete?) picture links.

So, to those reading this, would you *all* say that it comes down to preference and what feels like home? Or, are there more objective parameters to compare and contrast the two areas?

We're really concerned about the long-term prospects of both communities? Is either one on a better or worse footing in this regard? (And, of course, there're no guarantees.)

Thanks again, all!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,434,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usm.relocate View Post
lhafer, I agree with you. In fact, we are planning to do that in short order. We'll be visiting friends in Kingwood, and touring the area, esp. The Woodlands.

vegankris, thank you for the suggestion; however, it seems that both of the 'The Woodlands' picture links on that thread contain broken (obsolete?) picture links.

So, to those reading this, would you *all* say that it comes down to preference and what feels like home? Or, are there more objective parameters to compare and contrast the two areas?

We're really concerned about the long-term prospects of both communities? Is either one on a better or worse footing in this regard? (And, of course, there're no guarantees.)

Thanks again, all!
The Woodlands is a lot larger (population wise) than Kingwood, and I think is growing a lot faster. Given that there are more amenities up there, and more corporations are locating up there (ExxonMobil campus, for instance), it's going to continue to get bigger. If that's what you want, it has an edge over Kingwood in that area. If you want a quieter part of the city that's a little more stable, I think Kingwood would have the advantage.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Status: "Ready to help you find a house!" (set 18 days ago)

1,728 posts, read 3,124,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
The Woodlands is a lot larger (population wise) than Kingwood, and I think is growing a lot faster. Given that there are more amenities up there, and more corporations are locating up there (ExxonMobil campus, for instance), it's going to continue to get bigger. If that's what you want, it has an edge over Kingwood in that area. If you want a quieter part of the city that's a little more stable, I think Kingwood would have the advantage.
I do agree with Texascrude here.

I also believe that areas south of Kingwood (between 1960 and Beltway 8) will grow quite quickly now that the Beltway is complete east of 59. While that might not affectly Kingwood *directly*, it does have the chance to increase the number of people in the kingwood area for shopping, eating, etc.

To answer the question of objective parameters - I personally don't think there is.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Texascrude and lhafer, thank you for your replies ... very helpful.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:50 PM

3,554 posts, read 7,205,257 times
TW has better shopping, eating. In KW you will get a bit more for your money. Both are long term stable areas with good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston