Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm mom View Post
I'm surprised that Aldine ISD has not been mentioned on here. My son was formally diagnosed as high functioning autistic in January of this year but started receiving services prior to his diagnosis in the fall. He is currently in Kinder at a EC/PK/K center. He receives speech therapy twice a week for 30 minute sessions, behavorial services, testing modification, and was recently approved for occupational therapy, counseling (for social skills training), in home training and special bus services. He is in an inclusion setting and gets help from a special ed teacher with new tasks. In addition, he has an assigned Teacher Buddy. This is a separate teacher who pulls him out when he needs a break.

I didn't have to fight with them to any of the services and I have worked with 3 different diagnosticians (our assigned one was on leave) and they have all been very helpful. I will say that he was tested at the district at age 3 but they did not feel he qualified at that time for services. I believe this had to do with the LSSP being over cautious on diagnosing and that's the only issue that we and the diagnosticians with the previous testing.

My co-worker also had autistic child but attends Cy-Fair. He says it is good but he does not get all the services that my sons gets at Aldine. Such as the counseling, even though he has mentioned behavior needs, as well as OT, when he has mentioned his son having sensory issues. He did say that he had a push for some of the modifications.

We are thinking of relocating due to the neighborhood changing and if we do so, will move to Humble ISD. I have heard good things about the district.
Hello! My daughter receives all the same services in NY, but I am considering a move to Houston due to a recent job offer. I was wondering if you were able to provide the name of the school you mentioned in Aldine ISD? If you have moved to Humble ISD do you like it? Any recommendation? My daughter has high functioning autism and receives OT/PT/Speech/Social Skills Therapy/Test Modification and Special Bus Service. I am trying to find the best public school in Houston to continue her services. I am so afraid to move and have her regress after doing so well. Finding a great school is pretty much the decision maker if we move or not. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,146 times
Hello! I am considering a move to Houston from NY due to a recent job offer. I was wondering if you were able to provide the name of the school you mentioned in Spring Branch ISD and also the Developmental Pediatrician? My daughter has high functioning autism and receives OT/PT/Speech/Social Skills Therapy/Test Modification and Special Bus Service. I am trying to find the best public school in Houston to continue her services. I am so afraid to move and have her regress after doing so well. Finding a great school is pretty much the decision maker if we move or not. I know this an older thread and things may have changed since then but any advice is so appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 926 times
Does anyone have any advice for trying to get services thru CISD? We just moved here and my son is 10yrs old in 4th grade. He has been diagnosed TWICE with autism by an MD and a neuropsychiatrist at the hospital, but according to David Elementary standards, they do not think he is autistic. They said he doesnt meet the schools criteria for autism, which I do not understand? Is that even legal for educational professionals to basically overrule a doctors findings? They also will not accept one of the evaluations from the doctor because she has a PhD and not an MD. meanwhile, my kid is failing and getting further behind in school and i feel helpless! Any thoughts or good vibes would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-26-2017, 06:34 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
This seems odd because most school districts use people with Masters Degrees or PhDs to perform their own SpeD evaluations.

If your son has been diagnosed TWICE with autism by an MD and a neuropsychiatrist then you should be able to take those diagnosi in to the school and have them accepted. You only need one diagnosis.

Get yourself an advocate and go back at them.

Advocates for Special Education

Old 01-31-2019, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,534 times
Hello all:
Great post. We are in similar situation. Moving to Houston with 2 ASD kids. Seems like Spring Branch ISD is probably best distraction for ASD kids. Is still still the case now in 2019. We have my wife’s family living in Fort Bend ISD arra so we are strongly considering living in Rosenberg/ Sugar Land area to be close to them but will consider Spring Branch area if there is significant difference in quality of SB ISD programs.

Please let me know your opinions/comparisons between Spring Branch vs Fort Bend special eds.

Thank you do much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston