U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 AM

14 posts, read 25,275 times

Advertisements

Good Morning.

I just moved into my house and have had multiple people knock on my door to offer me a water softener system. From the research I've done these systems are not cheap. Are they necessary? If you have one what benefits have you seen? Are you still happy with your purchase?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 08:31 AM

742 posts, read 1,405,908 times
I don't have one yet, but am considering one. If you don't get one you will start seeing white deposits appear around your kitchen faucet on the granite, on your shower glass and chrome, on your bathroom faucets, maybe the grout in your shower. I have heard the hard water is bad for your appliances as well (hot water heaters, dishwasher, clothes washer).

Personally the main reason we have for wanting one is these white deposits we have gotten over the 1.5 years of living here. We did not have this much buildup in 10+ years living in Dallas. Otherwise we don't have a problem with the water.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM

139 posts, read 190,468 times
Very happy with mine... makes cleaning the bathrooms much easier. Close come out cleaner and softer. Dishes come out spotless.

I'm not sure how the water is in Katy, but Houston city water is AWFUL. This is what the filter that came with my softener looked like after about 6 weeks...

My softener is made by Kinetico, and sold by AquaTex... excellent service from them. www.aquatex.com

Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 PM

2,006 posts, read 2,569,945 times
I am sure Terry from AquaTex sold you the Kinetico :-) I also have Kinetico and I love it. Best experience ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAg02 View Post
Very happy with mine... makes cleaning the bathrooms much easier. Close come out cleaner and softer. Dishes come out spotless.

I'm not sure how the water is in Katy, but Houston city water is AWFUL. This is what the filter that came with my softener looked like after about 6 weeks...

My softener is made by Kinetico, and sold by AquaTex... excellent service from them. www.aquatex.com

Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 AM

318 posts, read 384,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAg02 View Post

since when do softeners have filters? That looks like a filtering system or osmosis system.

Typical softeners rely on ion-exchange with resins. Thus the salt for regeneration of the resin.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM

3,334 posts, read 4,805,861 times
Waste of money, IMHO. I've had 'em before and hate feeling slimey after a shower, but that's just me.

Ronnie

Old 10-24-2011, 09:07 AM

139 posts, read 190,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am sure Terry from AquaTex sold you the Kinetico :-) I also have Kinetico and I love it. Best experience ever...
Terry is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
since when do softeners have filters? That looks like a filtering system or osmosis system.

Typical softeners rely on ion-exchange with resins. Thus the salt for regeneration of the resin.
It's a pre-filter that comes with the softener. Filters out any sediment or large particles so that they don't run through the softener and clog or damage it.

In addition to the nastiness shown in the picture, I've also found small pebbles and other trash.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 AM

2,006 posts, read 2,569,945 times
That filter is front of the water softener. Particularly in new neighborhoods is a very good idea to have it since there is still a lot of stuff in the pipes which can go in the softener system and mess it up. For instance Kinetico is all mechanics and any piece of debris will definitely mess it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post

Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 AM

318 posts, read 384,722 times
Good suggestion, perhaps I will add this to ours!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 AM

38 posts, read 121,723 times
Default Water softener Inspection

To OP...I think you will be happy with a water softener, water here is really hard.

I am going to asking a different question in this thread since we have many knowledgeable people here: I purchased a softener a year and half ago. The company now wants to charge me $79 for a inspection. Owner said he will clean out the tank and test everything. $79 sounds like a lot of money for this. Should I get an inspection? I have always used morton system pallet salt and the tank looks clean. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston