U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 AM

7,746 posts, read 18,467,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal07281987 View Post
. I am glad I left the place because most of the staff kept calling me Chinese therefore I am not, I find it rude to assume because I am asian therefore I am Chinese.
Are you Vietnamese? Do you speak Vietnamese? That might open some doors, considering it's the #3 language in Houston.

Otherwise there are a range of crappy jobs you could pick up for the same kind of pay, and they are always hiring because most people quit them after 90 days. I did that for a few years when the economy was crap for college grads. They can turn into good little jobs as long as you're flexible, tolerant, etc.

Oh, and when you get that job, please get yourself a good car.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 AM

10,313 posts, read 10,764,964 times
This is so unfortunate. Now, I really UNDERSTAND why it's important for everyone to have a job lined up before moving anywhere. To the OP, I wish you the best!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 AM

525 posts, read 437,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Let's get some things straight:
- Businesses hire people that speak Spanish, because the job requires that skill, not for diversity. If they want diversity, they would hire "hispanic" (many don't speak Spanish)
- Speaking Spanish is a skill. If the business owner thinks that that skill is extremely important, just like speaking Chinese in "99 Ranch Market".... guess what, they are going to hire people that have those skills.
- Last point.... do you really want to work in a place where they value more how good you can speak Spanish, than how good you can do your job?
Stop blaming other people and start checking yourself.

My first language is Spanish, I'm in my 30s and I have never got a job because I speak Spanish. As a matter of fact, I also know some Portuguese and Chinese.
Instead, everytime I've gone to an interview I have to do everything possible to show that I can speak English 100% perfect.
yea right. I don't believe you.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 AM

Welcome to the southern states. Sounds like the racist "Hispanics" pushed you out because you don't like their agenda. They look to you as competition because you are also a minority. Although Mexican and Minority don't exactly go together in the southern states anymore. Besides they can pay one of those "immigrant" people half what they pay you.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM

10,455 posts, read 10,207,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
yea right. I don't believe you.
I lived in Mid-Missouri (Ozarks) the first 10 years I lived in the US.
You can count with one hand how many mexican restaurants are between St. Louis and Kansas City (200 miles of highway) same way between St. Louis and Springfield (200 miles)

Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Okay but why the fluency in spanish.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:05 PM

10,455 posts, read 10,207,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Okay but why the fluency in spanish.
1 - Because I lived in a Spanish speaking country until I was almost an adult.
2 - Because nobody is going to tell me what words I can or cannot use.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 PM

419 posts, read 1,228,027 times
If you can't get a job in the Houston area you ain't looking hard enough. That employer wanting spanish speaking folks is full of crap.

Quote:
Originally posted by Houston321
Nobody is going to give you anything
Last I heard Obama was giving it to you ...

Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,534,283 times
of course energy retailers value people who are bilingual more than just english speakers. hello we live in Texas. if an American company worked in Chiapas Mexico and only had English speakers working there how would that turn out?

it's not racist it is a business having to communicate with the average person. im guessing a whole lot of people calling reliant for customer service are hispanic. and i am sure there are still plenty of english only speakers working for reliant. maybe you losing your job also had something to do with only having worked there for a short while. typically the new hires are laid off first when needed to trim down

get a professional job not in retail. then you don't have to care what your clients needs

but even in professional jobs having multiple languages is a good thing to have. because we live in Texas Spanish would make the most sense. kind of wasting your time if you want to grow old in Texas but choose to learn Flemish. just like a Dutch person probably wasting their time trying to learn Portuguese unless they live there. it is how every other first tier country in this world operates

Last edited by testmo; 10-24-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 01:07 PM

104 posts, read 119,221 times
Girl, don't let others make it feel like it's your fault. This city is not a place to be jobless. It's one of the many negatives about living in Houston. You should NEVER have left New York City unless due to a family illness that you had to come back but always make sure you were going back. The economy in NYC is strong right now, so many of my friends found jobs earlier this year easily.

If you can try to find a junk job to put enough cushion under you to move out.

The public transportation here is just about zilch. Even Los Angeles has a better system than we do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston