Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
Houston isn't "speeding past" Dallas, nor is it unequivocally "ahead" of Philadelphia. These cities are all direct peers. Houston may be ahead of Atlanta in terms of sheer size, but the two cities are still comparable. Beyond them you have cities like Washington DC, San Francisco, and Chicago, and by almost every metric Houston is far behind this group of cities. Just looking at populations and gross metropolitan products of the regions alone illustrates my point:

Houston: population of 6.05 million, $385 billion GMP
Dallas-Ft. Worth: 6.73 million, $378B
Philadelphia: 6.53 million, $367B
Atlanta: 5.62 million, $279B

Washington DC-Baltimore: 8.57 million, $575B
San Francisco-San Jose: 7.47 million, $545B
Chicago: 9.69 million, $539B

So, no, Houston is not starting to emerge into a new group of cities. It has a very long way to go before it can be considered alongside the likes of Chicago or DC.

I believe it is..Houston is growing very fast (its the fastest growing metro)...it has many favorable industries for growth (energy, medical-these two area alone are the fastest growing industries in the country) and these numbers are from 2010 (2009 numbers), its 2011. With its population and industries growing I'm pretty sure its close to or 400B by now.

Here is a link of the fastest growing industries. Houston is in just about all of these industries.
12 Industries That Are Actually Growing - Daniel Indiviglio - Business - The Atlantic

At the rate of all of Houston and Dallas growth, I say give them both 10 years, then it will be able to compete or if not will be close to the "big dawgs". I mean we are not there now, but i believe we will be. We are ahead of the class we are in right now and those numbers are from 2010 (actually 2009 numbers).

Its crazy how Dallas has way more people and more headquarters than any city in the country but Houston GDP is higher. That area should be doing better with 6.7 million people and its so call big business. (Just big for nothing)

Last edited by llmrkc07; 11-22-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Even I know that Houston doesn't give a Chicago feel. LOL! I'm saying that people on here always say that Houston feels bigger than Atlanta, Phoenix, and even DFW. Im wondering would its "feeling bigger" and actual size help it to move on to a new group of peers.
The situation with DFW is sticky. Houston City definitely feels bigger than Dallas city because... well it is. Even if you shrink Houston's City limits to the size of Dallas city limits you still get more people. Remember the thread Danny made where Houston caught up to Dallas's population in just about 125 sq miles?

anyway, where it gets difficult is looking at the metro as a whole, DFW with all of the sum of the parts feels as big as Houston, but in the collective. Because it is collective it does not seem as cohesive.

When we say that Houston's Metro is just Houston, we don't only mean that there isn't a joint city like in the Bay or Miami or whereever. What we mean is that Houston and its ETJ has over 4M people. The metro is simply Houston closely pimpled by small suburbs. So radiating from the core it is basically Houston for ever.

The case with DFW is that they have powerful burbs. Big burbs. Nationally known burbs. While Houston may have the Galveston and TW, FW, Plano, Irving etc are hard to ignore.

Even breaking it down to metro divisions, Houston's home county is just as the entire 8 county Dallas-Irving-Plano metropolitan Division. (FYI, in the 90's Houston, Pearland, Galveston etc were all different metro areas, they were combined in 2000, but they are too small to be considered a metro division, because quite frankly the draw is just Houston).

Jobs, are centered around Houston or withing 5 miles away from it (few exceptions). I don't see this changing anytime soon because Houston's ETJ is so large. I think the only it will change is if Houston releases those 1.6M people that are in its ETJ. This would instantly lock in Houston in all directions and create monster burbs in Katy, Cypress, Spring, Humble and Atascocita.

People say that city limits mean nothing but it actually is very important. Government funding is dependent on population. Tax base, city services, etc.

anyway, Houston only feels bigger than DFW in terms of development immediately around the City. DFW as a collection of cities feel as big as the one big city

Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Being that Houston is flat, obviously gives it that bigger feel, right?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Being that Houston is flat, obviously gives it that bigger feel, right?
no, quite the opposite.

Flat areas are hard to take it in as a whole.

Besides, DFW is not as hilly as they make it out to seem. Yes it does have more hills than Houston, but it is not very hilly.

Again what separates the two is that Dallas is not the sole center of attention in the metro.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Do you see The Woodlands competing with Houston in terms of urbanity? I know it is kind of a crazy question.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Do you see The Woodlands competing with Houston in terms of urbanity? I know it is kind of a crazy question.
lol, have you seen the woodlands???
It is fun, its density is slightly higher than Houstons because it is like 500 times smaller, but it is not really urban development. They call it the woodlands for a reason

Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM

LOL! I was asking because I've learned that in DFW, suburbs compete with Dallas for things. In Houston, the city is the head master. From reading, it seems like The Woodlands would be a top suburb that can compete with Houston.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
woodlands may be the top suburb if you want proximity to shopping and with the exxon move it can be close to people who work for Exxon. nothing remotely to have it compete with a city like Houston. Apples and oranges.

woodlands is just a large suburb

Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
LOL! I was asking because I've learned that in DFW, suburbs compete with Dallas for things. In Houston, the city is the head master. From reading, it seems like The Woodlands would be a top suburb that can compete with Houston.
Houston is just too big for anything near it to compete. The Woodlands is going to get better, no doubts about it, but it is just too small and too far to give any competition. With the new Exxon plant between The Woodlands and Spring, the area is gonna get killer, but Houston is just too much of a beast to be worried.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
LOL, what the heck? Man, you must be from Alabama.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston