Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:51 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times

Advertisements

You have to consider as well the pollution from the port and the refineries....even if they're not in Houston proper they affect much of the East side. How people handle it is an individual thing - I grew up in Texas City which is not a whole lot different than living in Galena Park or something.

It's not like west of 45 it's all rosy. You still have Little Baghdad and the Ghetto Galleria (Sharpstown Mall) off 59 and you hear more about shootings and such there than most anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 03:54 PM

36 posts, read 124,447 times
Well, not trying to create any drama, just something I've noticed while living here and during my travels. I always find myself defending my choice of relocating to Houston vs even less attratictive cities.

In my posisition of working with the public and working with mostly new transplants, the overwhelming view is "wow, I had no idea Houston had
this much to offer. Even with all of the positive publicity of diversity,
culture, great restaurants and a reasonable pleasant climate (most of the year) it seems that until people arrive and investigate for themselves, we
are placed in the "dump" category.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:06 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
^^I think Texas as a whole just gets bad press. Houston is overshadowed by the other Texas cities. Dallas and Austin are so darn loud and San Antonio has the Alamo and the touristy thing going on, while Houston just quietly does its own thing. I don't think most Houstonians give a flip what people think of us, until they get stuff wrong. Now that's irritating.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:32 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Eastwood and the whole east-end warehouse district is changing fast:
University Oaks, Glenbrook, Idylwood, Houston Country Club Place & Simms Woods. There is stuff all over.

[/IMG]

Well I guess Glenbrook is really "west" of I-45!!

I agree, modster, that these are some amazing jewels lots of folks are completely unaware of....(except for the HAIF board of course!!)

Old 08-26-2007, 06:34 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minneahouston View Post
Well, not trying to create any drama, just something I've noticed while living here and during my travels. I always find myself defending my choice of relocating to Houston vs even less attratictive cities.

In my posisition of working with the public and working with mostly new transplants, the overwhelming view is "wow, I had no idea Houston had
this much to offer. Even with all of the positive publicity of diversity,
culture, great restaurants and a reasonable pleasant climate (most of the year) it seems that until people arrive and investigate for themselves, we
are placed in the "dump" category.
I can relate. Just replace "Houston" with "Houston's East End."

People just don't know

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...0&backButton=Y

Old 08-29-2007, 02:27 PM

29 posts, read 107,741 times
Thumbs up Well Said

You are right on the money. The east side of town (no offense to anyone) is very unfavorable in my opinion and yes I've been on that side of town many many times. I personally prefer to stay way west and north of the greenspoint area...I live in CyFair/Jersey Village area and grew up in Conroe. You couldn't pay me to live anywhere on the east side of town.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:25 PM

832 posts, read 3,852,602 times
I actually prefer Kingwood (NE).

Old 08-29-2007, 04:26 PM

832 posts, read 3,852,602 times
Also:

Fall Creek NE
Eagle Springs NE
Summerwood NE

Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 29,975 times
Default houston ive been everywhere here

ugly areas
se,sw,e,ne,n except the galleria and memoral areas in side the belt!

nice areas mostly everywhere else!!!!!! next to hobby is the getto and its the getto because how they, the people chose to be there. i grew up in the intercity and got the heck out of there asap

Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
The southwest is not as bad as it seems. The bad parts of Alief and Sharpstown are indeed bad however there are many quiet and safe areas within these neighborhoods. There are many neighborhoods inside the loop that make the Southwest seem like the Woodlands. Go no further out of downtown than along 45 toward 59.
As for Houston and Texas getting bad press, I believe there is a certain guy in D.C. who is bringing us down. Ya'll know the guy. The one with the -99% approval rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston