U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,789,817 times

Advertisements

the crab mentality of houstonies is the source of bad press.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 PM

88 posts, read 218,108 times
...or the crab mentality of people who: will never like it here, really don't care about what happens here, probably cannot wait to get out of here to go back to wherever they came from, and are absolutely thrilled to repeatedly talk trash about it with nonchalance. Ding, ding, ding... what did I win Jonny?!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:34 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,638,095 times
As someone who grew up in Klein, lived in the Champions/1960 area at one point, I for one would not live that far out again if you paid me. But to each his own.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM

5,345 posts, read 9,105,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
As for Houston and Texas getting bad press, I believe there is a certain guy in D.C. who is bringing us down. Ya'll know the guy. The one with the -99% approval rating.
Politics does play a large part I believe... but it seemed to get really bad when Al Gore was running and never missed a chance to announce how Houston was the "most polluted city" (even though that wasn't exactly true, since ozone is just one kind of air pollution measured by the EPA). Several Hollywood idiots jumped on the bandwagon behind him and did the same... ironic being that most of them live in L.A. which really can be given that pollution title.

But there were problems before all that and before Dubya. Remember when the Rockets won two championships and so little was heard about it in the national media? Remember when you would rarely see Houston on national weather maps, despite it being the nation's 4th largest city? And to this day, Houston rarely makes the news or anything talked about nationally unless it's for something negative... outsiders really know so little about the REAL Houston because of this.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM

36 posts, read 85,891 times
I stand corrected, and no, I am not making this up. The other day while driving through a section of East Houston, somebody was riding a horse. Not a police officer, not a sheriff, but a civilian. He was not riding in some field (the area was pretty developed) He was riding on the street and I had to slow down and go around him (should of taken a pic). 10 years and I have not witnessed this until now (not that there's anything wrong with riding a horse, in the street, during rodeo off-season).

I am a pretty big Houston booster when I travel, maybe just not as well informed as I should have been regarding the "horse riding" thing.

Modster, excellent photo's of desireable east houston homes.

I have some friends who live in a charming community in the 3rd Ward.
Beautiful homes, beautiful blocks, but the ammenities leave something to
be desired.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:56 PM

36 posts, read 85,891 times
Modster,

I agree, I owned a home in Katy for 4 years and now reside in the Galleria area. Never say never, but I will never live that far out again. I would rather pay a little more with less square footage and have the convenience factor of in town living.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 PM

160 posts, read 353,711 times
Default You're all right with me minneahouston!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneahouston View Post
I stand corrected, and no, I am not making this up. The other day while driving through a section of East Houston, somebody was riding a horse. Not a police officer, not a sheriff, but a civilian. He was not riding in some field (the area was pretty developed) He was riding on the street and I had to slow down and go around him (should of taken a pic). 10 years and I have not witnessed this until now (not that there's anything wrong with riding a horse, in the street, during rodeo off-season).

I am a pretty big Houston booster when I travel, maybe just not as well informed as I should have been regarding the "horse riding" thing.

Modster, excellent photo's of desireable east houston homes.

I have some friends who live in a charming community in the 3rd Ward.
Beautiful homes, beautiful blocks, but the ammenities leave something to
be desired.
Minneahouston I can see how you might have formed your initial impressions. The eastern part especially near downtown is the older part of the city. However, there are so many great little joints and small communities that a non-native may not have experienced. Burt's Meat Market on Lyons in 5th Ward is the best place in the city to get boudin. But alot people may not venture there because of what they have heard. There are many sweet old folks who still take good care of their homes and yards in Galena Park/Fidelity(I still have family over there). Shanghai Reds and Brady's Landing are still favorites among locals and people like to have weddings/receptions and other such things there and it sits right on the ship channel.

I could name many interesting and off beat places on the east side that don't get much attention. The folks over there probably like it better that way. Also, many communities on the east side are settled by persons of color and many immigrants. I know that this has contributed to a negative perception of the area at times (not saying you or anyone here) but such a perception is also present in working class or poor minority communities in other citites.

I don't live in Houston now but grew up there for over 30 years and come home about 4 times a year (just left there on the 20th) and I always chuckle to myself when people here ask me if we ride horses to work. In 2007 and I'm not kidding! Back in the day people would ride horses in the neighborhood all the time. Folks didn't keep their horses in stables somewhere especially if they had alot of land on their property.

I don't worry about what people say, I pay closer attention to what they do. In that vain, Houston has grown alot since I was a kid and there seems to be no stopping it. There are alot of naysayers on this board and I chuckle at them too, as I imagine them writing complaints about the heat and traffic while they sit in their comfortably air conditioned offices in downtown Houston. [hehe!]

C.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 PM

11,413 posts, read 17,665,457 times
Since you put it that way, this sort of perception is good if the East End is to stay affordable...otherwise I'd be paying $300K to live around the corner from Ninfa's on Navigation (the original) by the time I could ever afford to own a place.

I'd end up defaulting on my mortgage because I spend too much money eating

Old 08-31-2007, 02:23 PM

160 posts, read 353,711 times
Default U C what I saying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Since you put it that way, this sort of perception is good if the East End is to stay affordable...otherwise I'd be paying $300K to live around the corner from Ninfa's on Navigation (the original) by the time I could ever afford to own a place.

I'd end up defaulting on my mortgage because I spend too much money eating
And I was going to mention Ninfa's....my my my!

C.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:21 PM

48 posts, read 157,389 times
to the people saying south east I know you are not saying Clear lake league city friends wood area is Terrible these area can compete with any area Houston North or west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston