Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 AM

150 posts, read 304,333 times

Advertisements

People are really desperate to sell their homes these days and will not disclose certain information because they know it will be difficult to get a buyer. Be EXTREMELY cautious of homes that are freshly painted and with any type of upgrades because potential problems may be lurking and the seller is trying to distract you from this. If the home is more than 9 years old expect there will be problems. If homes are 20 years old expect to have even more problems. I have included a list of things to look out for. Some things are visible to the naked eye. Some are not. Those that are not are the things you should look out for. Make sure you get a qualified home inspector. There is no guarantee that the home inspector will catch everything. I found out one of my heaters for the downstairs was not working before I purchased my home. The inspector did not mention this.

7 Red Flags for Home Buyers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:01 AM

799 posts, read 2,431,110 times
Lol, wut?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:01 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,569,578 times
#8 smell the neighborhood at around cooking times of the day

Old 11-04-2011, 01:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,247,087 times
I dunno..... most people who want to sell their home quickly, do a little pre sale freshen up ,by painting and making needed updates. Im not sure if that should warrant caution.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,650,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
#8 smell the neighborhood at around cooking times of the day
#9 Meth lab in the bathtub.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:51 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
Lol, wut?
I think you meant:

Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 AM

3,037 posts, read 8,320,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I dunno..... most people who want to sell their home quickly, do a little pre sale freshen up ,by painting and making needed updates. Im not sure if that should warrant caution.
Hi westres1,

Dionne7 is correct but sellers are caught in a bit of a conundrum with this item when selling their homes. If the home really needs painting then it is most times better that they do it to increase the home's selling appeal. However as an Inspector when I enter a home that has fresh paint I have to approach it very carefully as fresh paint can hide signs of previous or currently active problems. A thorough Inspector will try to do whatever they can to look beyond the new paint for potential hidden issues but it can be difficult. As a result we have to let our client (the buyer) know this and make sure they are aware of it.

One of the solutions for sellers is to have a full, thorough pre-sale inspection performed before they start fixing and primping the home for sale. I really don't say this from a business generation standpoint but rather from a very practical standpoint. An Inspector can come in and generate a report on everything found, complete with photo documentation. The owner can then make all of the repairs they feel are necessary and do all of the cosmetic work (i.e. paint and other). For anything they are not going to repair they can be ready with estimates if the buyer wants to negotiate them as repair items. The seller can already know what they might have to concede on. In addition with a pre-sale inspection if the buyer's Inspector makes a weird or bad call the seller can already have information from their Inspector to refute it if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston