Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times

Advertisements

Ok i got kind of an off the wall question.

I was texting a girl that i had been crushing on for a while at my job and she said something that kind of got me to thinking.

She asked me if i was from texas. I told her i was originally, but didn't really grow up here and asked why did she hear something?

She replied: Nahh, you just don't have the htown swag. You a bit more cool and laid back. LOL that's a good thing though.

I tried keeping the text convo going saying : So what's the htown swag?

She never replied.

I tried again: "You got me on the edge of my seat too long with that last question. I've been wanting some feedback from you for a while anyway lol. Get back at me when you get a min.

heard nothing.

Now both of us are black, so i'm curious what she means by htown swag? If anyone has an idea, let me know. thanks!

stoneclaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Whoop Swag, Snap backs, bright color clothes, and Kirko Bangz?

Or 2005 candy blue (or red) LeSabre on pokes, white or black tee, use of hause instead of house, and strictly SUC cd's in your car?

Has to be one or the other.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Whoop Swag, Snap backs, bright color clothes, and Kirko Bangz?

Or 2005 candy blue (or red) LeSabre on pokes, white or black tee, use of hause instead of house, and strictly SUC cd's in your car?

Has to be one or the other.
Those are some of the more stereotypical images associated with Houston, but everyone here isn't into that as much. I still love screw, but I don't really get down with the slab culture. I personally think swangas are ugly, and there's really nothing slick about half of those cars.

Two questions: aren't they wearing snapbacks everywhere? And why are folks still saying "swag"?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Those are some of the more stereotypical images associated with Houston, but everyone here isn't into that as much. I still love screw, but I don't really get down with the slab culture. I personally think swangas are ugly, and there's really nothing slick about half of those cars.

Two questions: aren't they wearing snapbacks everywhere? And why are folks still saying "swag"?
Not saying everyone is like this or that but it's very true. Don't get me wrong, I blasted Z-Ro and Billy Cook for about a hour straight with the TV on mute.

I have seen the most snap backs here, but I haven't traveled since it became such a fad. No idea about swag...

Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,819 times
I had to laugh reading this thread ... it made me realize that I am a) too old to understand the vocabulary, b) too uncool to understand the vocabulary, and/or c) too country/suburban to understand the vocabulary. Someone please enlighten me on the meaning of "snapback", "swanga", "Kirko Bangz", and "SUC" so I can impress my teenagers!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
I had to laugh reading this thread ... it made me realize that I am a) too old to understand the vocabulary, b) too uncool to understand the vocabulary, and/or c) too country/suburban to understand the vocabulary. Someone please enlighten me on the meaning of "snapback", "swanga", "Kirko Bangz", and "SUC" so I can impress my teenagers!
I'm too white and Jewish (and old....sigh).

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
Lol. I'd be happy to oblige.

"Snapbacks" isn't really a slang term, but simply refers to the style of baseball caps that have the little click buttons at the back. You know, the kind that grandpa wears :

http://www.fittedid.com/blog/wp-cont...ts-500x379.jpg

"Swangas" are the style of wheels that were standard on the 1983 and '84 editions of Cadillacs, now used by many local urban automobile enthusiasts. They're popular for their little horns that "poke" out. You might have seen something like this around Houston:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0255_large.jpg

...ugly, huh?

Kirko Bangz is some generic rapper from Houston (not worth even knowing about), and the "SUC" is a popular, large rap entourage, originating on the south side of town.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Ok i got kind of an off the wall question.

I was texting a girl that i had been crushing on for a while at my job and she said something that kind of got me to thinking.

She asked me if i was from texas. I told her i was originally, but didn't really grow up here and asked why did she hear something?

She replied: Nahh, you just don't have the htown swag. You a bit more cool and laid back. LOL that's a good thing though.

I tried keeping the text convo going saying : So what's the htown swag?

She never replied.

I tried again: "You got me on the edge of my seat too long with that last question. I've been wanting some feedback from you for a while anyway lol. Get back at me when you get a min.

heard nothing.

Now both of us are black, so i'm curious what she means by htown swag? If anyone has an idea, let me know. thanks!

stoneclaw
When I think of Houston swag; I think dudes who are very laid-back, deep voice, rather dull and too serious. That's just from my perspective on the typical AA Houston man. Does it apply to them all??? No, but from the most I've seen; this has been the case.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
When I think of Houston swag; I think dudes who are very laid-back, deep voice, rather dull and too serious. That's just from my perspective on the typical AA Houston man. Does it apply to them all??? No, but from the most I've seen; this has been the case.
So do I, "Nom sayin'?"

Old 11-05-2011, 09:38 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Is it correct to say its a short version of swagger, and references how one carries or presents themselves. This includes dress and accompanied 'things'.

Old anglo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston