Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 22,744 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Houston for my job and I will eventually be working in the Woodlands, however my first assignment could be anywhere from Baytown to somewhere in the inner loop. We are looking to live somewhere that has relatively easy access to the city and the Woodlands, has reasonable taxes, and good schools. We would also like to live in a place with easy access to grocery stores and malls. We are currently considering Spring, Atascocita, Humble, The Woodlands, and Kingwood. Does anyone have input on the best place to live North of the city? Any input is appreciated! Additionally, it would be great if anyone had input on good areas to hunt near Houston! Thank you!

Last edited by Jake&Amanda; 11-07-2011 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,305,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake&Amanda View Post
We are relocating to Houston for my job and I will eventually be working in the Woodlands, however my first assignment could be anywhere from Baytown to somewhere in the inner loop. We are looking to live somewhere that has relatively easy access to the city and the Woodlands, has reasonable taxes, and good schools. We would also like to live in a place with easy access to grocery stores and malls. We are currently considering Spring, Atascocita, Kingwood, Humble, The Woodlands, and Kingwood. Does anyone have input on the best place to live North of the city? Any input is appreciated! Additionally, it would be great if anyone had input on good areas to hunt near Houston! Thank you!
Wife and I were in a similar situation and ended up in Eagle Springs (Atascocita). The 59 seems to be the best of the freeways and doesn't hardly ever get backed up the way the 45 does. Plenty of shopping around, with a Super Target, Lowes, Wal-Mart, HEB, Best Buy, Kroger, Kohls, and other various shops all within about a 5 minute drive. The only downer is that the nearest mall, Dearbrook, has seen its best days already come and go -- have to drive out to the Woodlands for a good mall experience. Other than that, everything is near by. Lots of young families -- whether that's a plus or a negative depends on your situation.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 22,744 times
Thank you! Young families are great for us. We do not have a family yet, but plan to start one soon. How are the schools?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM

23,711 posts, read 14,826,704 times
If your permanent assignment is in TW, move close to the Woodlands. Hardy Tollroad will give easy access for travel to Baytown or ITL.

Schools in TW will remain good for the foreseeable future.

It is a shopping Mecca.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 10,116 times
Default Kingwood TX

[quote=Texascrude;21616330]Wife and I were in a similar situation and ended up in Eagle Springs (Atascocita). The 59 seems to be the best of the freeways and doesn't hardly ever get backed up the way the 45 does. Plenty of shopping around, with a Super Target, Lowes, Wal-Mart, HEB, Best Buy, Kroger, Kohls, and other various shops all within about a 5 minute drive. The only downer is that the nearest mall, Dearbrook, has seen its best days already come and go -- have to drive out to the Woodlands for a good mall experience. Other than that, everything is near by. Lots of young families -- whether that's a plus or a negative depends on your situation.[/QUOTE

I want to move form Los Angeles to Houston very soon. Im looking to move to Kingwood or Atascocita. I'm looking for help from someone who lives, has lived, or knows someone that lives there that can give info on how the are is. Is it safe? Is it a good place to raise a family. Im looking for somewhere that is safe, calm, not too active, not too close to the city but not too far from it either, with a little land... Basically somewhere you would have peace of mind and would feel that your family is safe when you're off to work.

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,662,468 times
Andy, were you the one looking to move to Oakhurst or is that another Andy? Anyhow Kingwood is as safe and family friendly as they come.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,415,719 times
Try 77379 on Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors: HAR.com.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 AM

232 posts, read 459,989 times
The Woodlands, Katy, Cypress and Sugar Land all have good school systems. The taxes in the Woodlands are pretty high though. Spring has some good schools depending on which district you're in. It's close to the Woodlands and also close to the major highways you will need in the event you need to travel around the greater Houston area. Plus you get more for your money in Spring but it depends on what you're looking for. Personally I'd choose to pay more to live in The Woodlands over Spring but Spring is a better value and the traffic in the Woodlands area is getting out of control especially with all of the new constructions. Atascocita Shores is really nice and you can get a home on the lake for not much money compared to other waterfront properties. I'm not sure about their school system though.

Spring has a bunch of newer developments you might want to look at. And as always, check with a Realtor to get their input about schools, taxes, new homes, how certain neighborhoods hold their value over others, flooding, etc.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 PM

73 posts, read 224,723 times
I live in the area. It has good things and negatives--as does every part of Houston. More than any place I've lived, in the Houston area it's almost like you need to do a spreadsheet when moving here--list what you consider to be the positives and weigh them accordingly! (and that's advice from someone who's not into numbers and spreadsheets).

If you do a search for Atasocita and Kingwood you'll probably see some posts I've made. What are your must haves?

The positives for this area (Humble/Atascocita, especially closer to the Beltway)--compared to other places, traffic to accomplish your "daily life things" (e.g., go to grocery stores, restaurants, schools, gym, tote the kids around) is not so bad, easy access to highways that aren't too bad (again, comparatively speaking--Beltway and 59), excellent value for houses--your $ goes far here--much farther than other parts of houston, new schools, good schools, schools are in very close proximity to each other, planned communities provides zoning-sorts of protections, Lifetimefitness, other clubs (tennis, golf), lots of families).

What might be some negatives? If you're empty nesters or have no plans for a family any time soon and you spend lots of time for both work and play downtown... then I'd recommend inside the loop or somewhere very close to your workplace.

If you're interested in living in one of the major planned communities, you might also search for those communities (e.g., Fall Creek, Summerwood, Lakeshore, and Eagle Springs. Perhaps someone who lives in Kingwood can suggest particular neighborhoods to search for. It can be good to do a search for neighborhoods and communities.)

If you don't mind a suggestion--and I suggest this in a helpful rather than snarky way, it might be helpful to start a new thread. Reason being, when one pulls open this thread and sees it was started a year ago, it's tempting to just close it down and the original post also includes Spring whereas you're interested in Lake Houston area.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM

686 posts, read 1,160,969 times
I dislike all of the aforementioned areas mainly due to location inconvenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston