U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:51 PM

6 posts, read 10,231 times

Advertisements

I was house hunting this weekend and had planned all along on buying a house in Pearland. After driving on 288 at 7:00AM to get to downtown (test drive to experience first hand the traffic) there is no way I am living where 288 North is the best option.

Please help with suggestions to nice neighborhoods with a price range of $200-250k. Looking to move 1-2 months. We are relocating from Ohio and really liked the look and feel of Pearland, but again, the commute was horrible...50 minutes. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,414,258 times
Maplewood and Westbury are in your price range and closer to downtown than Pearland. They are older neighborhoods so less cookie-cutter and not as MPC feeling as Sugarland. They are just south of Bellaire and Meyerland which would be out of your price range. You can drive on 610 (which has a lot of traffic in the mornings) but you can also take a bus since we live in the city we have bus routes. You also can use alternative streets since it is so close to downtown i.e. avoid 610 by going up Chimney Rock in the morning. highway 59 isn't bad

there are neighborhoods more "transitional" than the above in close proximity of downtown. but if your ideal is Pearland I am guessing you won't go for them

If you want a suburb nothing is going to be any better than that Pearland commute.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:04 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,093,939 times
Every suburb is about a 45 minute to an hour commute to downtown. My advice is to find a neighborhood close to a Park and Ride and utilize that. While it doesn't cut down on the commute time, it cuts down on the stress tremendously.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,371,831 times
The Pennzoil bldg is more accessible from I10 I believe

Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM

commute on i-10 in the morning to 45 s. into downtown and within their budget? i don't think so

Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM

409 posts, read 662,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
commute on i-10 in the morning to 45 s. into downtown and within their budget? i don't think so
Why not? I'm on the west side and work downtown. From the Hwy 6 Park & Ride, it just takes 20-25 minutes to get to work. From that route, he/she would get dropped off right in front of the Pennzoil Bldg. and for the ride home, get picked up on the other side of the building. Very convenient.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM

yeah i never made that drive in the morning rush but in the middle of the afternoon i can't make it in 20 minutes so it is hard to believe

Old 11-08-2011, 04:23 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,721,063 times
Inside the loop will be the best bet. Congrats on actually doing the drive in the morning. Too many people overlook this simple step that can make a big difference. It's better to actually experience the traffic to see if it's worth it to you.

Look into Westbury, Eastwood, Lindale Park, Brookesmith, Oak Forest, Idylwood, and a few more areas inside or very close tot he loop. You might actually like the older neighborhoods which tend to have a lot of charm. It will be a trade off with shopping and some school zoning, but it may be worth it to you.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:24 PM

409 posts, read 662,065 times
Quote:
yeah i never made that drive in the morning rush but in the middle of the afternoon i can't make it in 20 minutes so it is hard to believe
Well, believe it. I do it 5 days a week and unless there is a wreck, it's very doable.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 10,231 times
Quote:
Maplewood and Westbury are in your price range and closer to downtown than Pearland. They are older neighborhoods so less cookie-cutter and not as MPC feeling as Sugarland. They are just south of Bellaire and Meyerland which would be out of your price range. You can drive on 610 (which has a lot of traffic in the mornings) but you can also take a bus since we live in the city we have bus routes. You also can use alternative streets since it is so close to downtown i.e. avoid 610 by going up Chimney Rock in the morning. highway 59 isn't bad

there are neighborhoods more "transitional" than the above in close proximity of downtown. but if your ideal is Pearland I am guessing you won't go for them

If you want a suburb nothing is going to be any better than that Pearland commute.
What do you mean by "transitional"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston